To not want to send DD to nursery in stained clothes

(93 Posts)
PartyFops Thu 05-Sep-13 20:11:04

I am so fed up with DDs (2.3) clothes getting ruined at nursery, she only goes 3 times a week and I would say at least 50% of the time she comes home with stains on her clothes that don't wash out.

Its either paint or food, today I threw away 2 dresses as one had orange down the front and the other one had blue paint all over the front.

I'm not annoyed with the nursery, as I know its DDs fault rather than theirs, but I really really dont want to take her to nursery in stained clothes.

I don't send her in expensive stuff but still its costing me a fortune!!

Just to add, I dont mind a little stain, but the ones this week completely ruined 2 lovely dresses.

rant over! grin

fierypoppy Fri 06-Sep-13 09:12:47

Iron on transfers are lovely, why not give it a try? smile

Winterwardrobetime Fri 06-Sep-13 09:15:00

Message withdrawn at poster's request.

moustachio Fri 06-Sep-13 09:21:12

I used to row with ds's nursery about this! I don't think I should have to buy second sets of clothes. Its my right as a parent to dress him smartly and not in primark tat. All his stuff is hand-me-downs but decent quality

They said if he didn't want to wear an apron then he didn't have to. He was between10months and 2 years old and I was paying £50 a day for his care. Send her with an apron and say you want her to wear it.

Bonsoir Fri 06-Sep-13 09:24:29

Do they not wear little smocks for painting and eating?

cory Fri 06-Sep-13 09:28:41

ime painters aprons are not enough to stop a 2yo getting paint on sleeves, feet etc

we accept that they need non-smart special gear for PE lessons so why not for creative activities?

(tries to imagine the reaction of HT when told by irate parent that she has a right to send him to PE dressed smartly and it is the football coach's job to make sure he doesn't get muddy)

Thepowerof3 Fri 06-Sep-13 09:31:35

I love clothes but would never send mine to nursery wearing smart dresses, you are inhibiting their play, what's more important your 'right' as moustachio puts it to send them in smart things or their right to enjoy themselves and be a kid

When ds was in full time nursery, I bought him a "uniform" - 5 pairs of Asda's £2.50 jeans, 5 dark coloured t-shirts and a couple of dark coloured cheap fleeces for if it was cold. The only time he wore these clothes was for nursery, and if they got wrecked then hey ho! Couldn't care less if people thought I was a slattern for sending him in cheapo, stained clothes lol he was clean and his good stuff was saved for weekends and holidays.

Thepowerof3 Fri 06-Sep-13 09:33:11

I'd think you were a sensible mum JulietBravo

MiaowTheCat Fri 06-Sep-13 09:37:07

Washable paints are a fucking myth - the blue and green never bloody comes out properly, and that's from a teacher's perspective!

It's quite possible that she's not putting the aprons on properly - with the ones that the kids are meant to be able to put on themselves lots of them don't quite manage to do that so while they get the general idea of apron over head - the arms and head often don't make it out of the right holes and you've got some interesting approaches to clothes coverage going on.

I'd cut my losses on the summer dresses to be honest - they're not likely to fit her next time the sun comes out anyway so I wouldn't be tying myself up in knots trying to rescue 'em at this point in the year. I sympathise though - I really don't like seeing clothes getting ruined if it's avoidable - I'd be going for the selection of scruffyish clothes for nursery (or patterned to hide the stains... or anything that you've been bought that isn't 100% to your taste!) approach. Or if it's getting the aprons on and off she's struggling with - would an adult sized T-shirt kept in her bag for her to put on and off be easier for her to use than the nursery aprons?

I've worked in a lot of school nurseries (not childcare ones though) and however much of the day you spend intercepting kids making a beeline for the paint and water without an apron on, and the kids making a beeline for the outdoor area in the dead of winter without a coat on - occasionally one gets to their destination without you catching them - and invariably they're the one who can get green paint all over their front within a nanosecond. I take this to more advanced levels myself and can manage to get green paint all over myself from the opposite side of the room (answers on a postcard if you can figure out how the fuck I manage that so consistently)

PartyFops Fri 06-Sep-13 09:40:24

The dresses she has gone in recently when it has been hot have been loose fitting that would not have hindered her movement, but have kept her cool to try and keep her eczema at bay and also assist her potty training efforts.

I don't feel I had a necessary right to send her in good clothes and them not be ruined. I just get fed up with scrubbing stains and seeing her in scruffy stained clothes.

babybythesea Fri 06-Sep-13 09:40:29

My dd came home once absolutely covered in paint, and I mean covered.
The nursery were hugely apologetic, but she had seen the paints out, knew she had to put an apron on and done just that. Unfortunately, she had got her arms well into to the sleeves before they saw her - she was busy putting it on inside out. She was caked in the paint left by the previous user on the front of it. So they can have aprons and rules but it might not save the clothes! 'Tis life.

Bonsoir Fri 06-Sep-13 09:41:11

My DD wore a navy smock from age 2 to age 7 at school and, providing the sleeves of her t-shirt weren't too long, never got stained.

babybythesea What an adorable image, a little toddler conscientiously sticking an apron on painty-side-inwards. smile

jessieagain Fri 06-Sep-13 10:10:41

I don't want to send ds in stained clothes or cheap, dull clothes.

So he wears his usual clothes to nursery and I just buy colours like blues, reds, greens, browns, greys and oranges. Nothing pale or white.

I treat the stains as soon as he comes home and try usually come out well.

Morloth Fri 06-Sep-13 10:21:23

Lower your standards, it is the secret to a happy life.

Both my boys had/have daycare clothes, it isn't worth spending any energy at all worrying about it.

Just chuck 'em in the wash, if the stain comes out then all good, if not then oh well.

Accidentallyquirky Fri 06-Sep-13 10:30:09

Yabu.
Dd got sent to nursery today wearing red check jeggings accessorised with grass stains that I can't remove, one blue paint stain, a tshirt that amazingly is unstained and a river island beige jumper that dd has picked the diamontes off and has a full collection of marks and stains.

I vowed my kids would never go to school and nursery looking anything less than perfect - in reality it's impossible I couldn't afford to buy new clothes each week. I keep new clothes for evenings and weekend and then swop them to nursery clothes when her current nursery clothes are no longer just stained but are actually grubby.

Theas18 Fri 06-Sep-13 10:31:40

Play clothes are play clothes and are meant to be stained surely? Busy " working" preschoolers get grubby/painty/mucky.

Keep play clothes for preschool/play and " nice" for going out.

REally no one cares what she wears to preschool ( except if she can't get out of it to got to the loo) and the worst out come would be that she also becomes a bit " precious" about her clothes and doesn't then want to get stuck in and learn from messy activities.

AFishWithoutABicycle Fri 06-Sep-13 10:34:29

Why don't they use washable paint. My dd comes home every day covered in 'fun medals' and they almost always wash out.
Send her in dark clothing bought cheap, I know this is probably what you do anyway.

I totally get where your comming from and dresses are so much easier when potty training, must admit I didn't know about a cold wash but disagree about white, bleach works a treat!
I too have fallen fowl at purple paint though and that was on a designer t shirt ! Don't put it on them I hear you cry..... I wouldn't but you can't control dh's
I do tend to stick to sainsburys / car boots etc but I wouldn't want her to go in with stains either and I hate waste

Akray Fri 06-Sep-13 10:39:22

I am OCD about stained /messy clothes and no way could I send any of my DC out in them, but that's just me ~ I like them to always look nice, but I am a champion stain remover, so they can get as messy as they like, no worries!!!

My eldest DD went on an outward bound day and they were told to wear old / messy clothes ~ I had to go and buy her some cheap stuff from Asda, cos she didn't have anything old and messy ~ crazysmile

DanicaJones Fri 06-Sep-13 10:50:56

Unfortunately doing a cold wash now won't help as the stains have already been set by putting them in a warm wash. You need to either soak in cold water before the first wash, then spray with stain remover, then wash, maybe with stain wash powder in too. Or you could spray, then do a cold prewash with extra stain remover in. Washable paints and OJ will come out this way. I'm afraid YABU due to your stain removing techniques. grin

FreudiansSlipper Fri 06-Sep-13 10:53:58

what does it matter if her clothes are stained she is not a precious little doll to dress up

relax as long as her clothes are clean what is the problem. most children look scruffy at nursery after 5 minutes (well they did at ds nursery)

NoComet Fri 06-Sep-13 11:00:46

I used to get dirty looks of preschool nursery for suggesting they bought, and used, painting overalls rather than not using useless aprons.

Small children don't have old clothes, they grow out of them before they are old.

They get attached to Mr happy, pink fairy, red ted. They want to wear them. I sodding well don't want the upset it causes when they are ruined.

And most importantly it teaches a dreadful lazy attitude to getting in a mess, that has to be un-learnt as soon as they are wearing £12 school jumpers.

NoComet Fri 06-Sep-13 11:05:08

Mess is one thing, I don't mind food, flour and a bit of mud. Nursery/school clothes get grubby.

It's not teaching the DCs the difference between mess and destruction that makes me angry black and red powder paint and white board pens need treating with respect.

FreudiansSlipper Fri 06-Sep-13 11:06:16

you can but cheap clothes in all supermarkets

why should children be fussing about not getting messy they are learning and enjoying themselves

ds and his school friends seem to manage fine now they are in school and do not get quite as messy as they once did as their motor skills and awareness has developed

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now