To not want to send DD to nursery in stained clothes

(93 Posts)
PartyFops Thu 05-Sep-13 20:11:04

I am so fed up with DDs (2.3) clothes getting ruined at nursery, she only goes 3 times a week and I would say at least 50% of the time she comes home with stains on her clothes that don't wash out.

Its either paint or food, today I threw away 2 dresses as one had orange down the front and the other one had blue paint all over the front.

I'm not annoyed with the nursery, as I know its DDs fault rather than theirs, but I really really dont want to take her to nursery in stained clothes.

I don't send her in expensive stuff but still its costing me a fortune!!

Just to add, I dont mind a little stain, but the ones this week completely ruined 2 lovely dresses.

rant over! grin

Happiestinwellybobs Thu 05-Sep-13 20:34:23

If DD comes home covered in paint, I see it as she has had fun! Orange food stains always come out in the sunshine. I have nursery clothes, and non-nursery clothes. I fully expect DD to come home filthy, covered in paint, felt tip, dust, or whatever.

If your DD is 2.3, it's a bit odd to blame her. Honestly, you sound a bit precious.

Babouche Thu 05-Sep-13 20:36:15

Paint-stained clothes that are freshly laundered and clean are fine for nursery.
I wouldn't send them in clothes covered in fresh food or mud.
My nursery told us to send them in clothes that don't matter.School uniform-type supermarket clothes seem to be the cheapest & perfect for that.

grobagsforever Thu 05-Sep-13 20:37:16

Eh? You're worried about stains on a two year olds clothes? I envy you. You need more stuff to worry about!!

pudseypie Thu 05-Sep-13 20:40:03

Just soak the clothes in vanish for an hour before washing. Gets all the paint and food stains out my ds clothes from nursery and he goes full time so I deal with a lot of stains!

PartyFops Thu 05-Sep-13 20:41:40

They are now out of the bin, have been scrubbed with fairy liquid and are now back in the machine on a cold wash. I will hang the one with orange juice in a window if I see the sun again.

Thanks for the tips!

Meglet Thu 05-Sep-13 20:43:06

Lots of DD's and DS's nursery wardrobes were second hand from NCT sales, charity shops and hand-me-downs. At a push I'd send them in Primark and sainsburys stuff. Their nursery clothes were separate from their presentable weekend clothes.

And I never got purple paint out of clothes, it was there until they grew out of it.

Harryhairypig Thu 05-Sep-13 20:47:11

As some others have said orange food stains come out in the sun, its like magic! I no longer fear the spagetti bolognaise stains since I discovered that!

teacherlikesapples Thu 05-Sep-13 20:48:22

"I know its DDs fault rather than theirs"

Sigh. Your child is 2!!!

Please don't send your child to nursery in 'lovely dresses'. Your child is there to learn & explore. They probably have aprons & yes they probably do their best to keep your child clean, but the priority should be on your child getting involved & learning through her play not worrying about if she looks 'pretty' or whether she is going to get a stain. That also goes for the staff to- they should be able to focus on being involved with your child- extending & fostering her learning. Not rushing about keeping her clean & pretty.

What message are you teaching her about what is more important in life?

Also dresses are not practical for developing gross motor/physical skill, it impedes a child's ability to climb & move.

This is a complaint I hear most terms & honestly I have to wonder where the parents priorities are. I understand wanting your child to look presentable- so have practical nursery clothing (that doesn't matter if it gets stained) & change her when you leave, but please do your child a favour & chill out over this!

PartyFops Thu 05-Sep-13 20:49:09

I had thrown so much of my own stuff away that had spag bol etc stains on, am excited about the sunshine idea!!!

GingerBlackAndOriental Thu 05-Sep-13 20:49:49

A hot wash sets stains in and they never come out. Cold wash them in future grin

zatyaballerina Thu 05-Sep-13 20:49:58

yanbu but it's the nursery's fault, not hers, she's only 2. They should have little aprons or something for them to wear when they're painting or eating. I'd send her in with something and tell them to put it over her if they're doing anything potentially mess.

bsc Thu 05-Sep-13 20:50:14

Wait until she starts school!
You wont be binning expensive uniform jumpers if they've a little paint on them, trust me!

zatyaballerina Thu 05-Sep-13 20:50:24

messy*

Sirzy Thu 05-Sep-13 20:52:09

Why can't a child wear clean but stained clothes for nursery? When DS was at nursery he had joggers and cheap t shirts he wore until he out grew them most of them scruffy looking some stained but they did the job for nursery - they have now been handed to my nephew to ruin further!

JerseySpud Thu 05-Sep-13 20:52:30

Try hanging her stuff out on the washing line whether it be rain or shine. The rain and sunshine helps gets stains out

PartyFops Thu 05-Sep-13 20:57:58

"What message are you teaching her about what is more important in life?"

believe me she has no idea of my frustrations. I don't blame her as in tell her off for getting her clothes stained!

Maybe you are just taking my rant too seriously grin.

girliefriend Thu 05-Sep-13 20:59:19

Has she not got some shorts and a t.shirt she could have worn to nursery?

Practical and cheap grin

Normally nurseries only use washable paints I thought, anyho the lesson here is don't send her into nursery in anything that would annoy you if it got ruined!!

froken Thu 05-Sep-13 21:02:21

Why don't you just buy her dark clothes, navy blue, black and dark green are hard to stain! Dresses don't sound the most practical clothes to wear to nursery regardless of colour.

BumFunHun Thu 05-Sep-13 21:10:12

Car boot sales only for nursery stuff. The girls still go in looking nice - but at between 20p - £1 an outfit. They can spill/stain the clothes with whatever they like and it's no biggie. Love bootsales. Make the most of the end of the season and go to a few to stock up until the spring would be my advice!

onepieceoflollipop Thu 05-Sep-13 21:13:31

Yes, as others have said dark colours can be more forgiving. (when my dds were at nursery they had some deep pink/purple clothes rather than pastels so dark colours don't have to be drab. Also print tops rather than plain, pale colours.
I used to find leggings and tunics more practical for activities than actual dresses.
unfortunately now my littlest mucky puppy dd is at school and the school dress is pale yellow and white checked!

Send her in play clothes. Dark tshirts and jeans = no worries!

Makinglists Thu 05-Sep-13 21:18:55

I've never sent my DC's to nursery in anything that I would be upset if it got ruined. For nursery, if the clothes are clean but tatty that's good enough for me. I see it as a good sign if they come back covered in paint and general grub from the garden - the only time I would have any concern is if it had implications for their welfare ie clothes stayed 'soiled' or they were wet.

Get some cheap black or dark coloured t-shirts,joggers,or dresses from primark. If they are cheap and dark she will be able to have all the fun in the world without stains that show and you won't be wasting money on nice clothes that will be ruinedsmile

RoxyFox211 Fri 06-Sep-13 09:01:36

Buy dark/ cheap clothes. smile

cory Fri 06-Sep-13 09:11:19

I wouldn't blame the nursery either. Some just activities just require "working clothes".

My dh used to be a digging archaeologist. He didn't go to work in a neat suit and tie and then get terribly upset when his clothes got ruined; he made sure to wear his oldest and scruffiest shirts and second-hand trousers.

Dd does physical theatre. As far as I can make out it takes 2 minutes to work your way through a pair of leggings sliding along a rough stage floor. So again she doesn't go in wearing her best trousers.

I don't know any painters or sculptors or potters but I'm pretty sure they save their nice dresses for exhibitions and use stained old clothes when they're producing the actual work.

That is the work your dd is doing: she is a painter/potter/collage artist: she should be wearing working clothes.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now