To think that children should be inside at 7:30pm and not...

(96 Posts)
BlingLoving Thu 05-Sep-13 19:43:04

Running around screaming in the street? Our neighbour's children are friends with other local children and they all play together which is great. But it's after 7:30 on a week night. Surely they should be inside? I don't care what time other people's children go to bed but I don't want to hear yelling children outside my house at this time of night. And it's also hard on ds who definitely doesn't like it when he's trying to sleep.

So annoying. To be fair, they are usually inside by 7 but on the nights they Aren't it really gets me.

ghostspirit Mon 09-Sep-13 13:10:18

right its 7.30 all of you be quite. your keeping my children awake shhhhh

SilverStreak7 Mon 09-Sep-13 12:51:42

I really wish that's all I had to fret about ! Its hardly late and as others have pointed out the evenings will soon be drawing in now and no kids will be playing out . .Some of you people should perhaps go live on some remote Island with no neighbors to disturb your dc or yourselves.

kali110 Sun 08-Sep-13 23:51:40

Can understand op. got no problem with kids playing but their right to play doesnt trump my right to not have to put up with constant screaming.i ised to go to bed at 9 on fridays so i coud get up for work on sat at 430am. Kids would be screaming up and down my road till 10 keeping me awake.
I shouldnt have to (nor can i afford it) move. They shouldnt be screaming at the top of their lungs. I personally don think kids under 12 should be out till 9 and 10 on their own for ages either for their own safety.

judgejudithjudy Sat 07-Sep-13 21:40:05

yabu - wanting the whole street to be quiet because your pfb cant sleep. if you dont like the noise then move to the middle of nowhere. tbh i love the sound of happy children ;-)

goodasitgets Sat 07-Sep-13 16:46:57

I don't care what time they are out until. I do care about the endless screaming
People say oh it's just children playing. I've seen the consequences of a child that screamed all the time, and when one day she was screaming and did need help we got there too late

PipkinsPal Sat 07-Sep-13 16:40:22

I think that's the difference in agreeing to disagree. You have children thereby you can "switch off", I don't and I can't.

Viking1 Sat 07-Sep-13 16:32:28

Message withdrawn at poster's request.

PresidentServalan Sat 07-Sep-13 16:24:07

If they are noisy then they shouldn't be out! It's not even about waking smaller children up, it's just annoying!

PipkinsPal Sat 07-Sep-13 16:15:20

PrimalLass - no? Well you are lucky. Its not the playing its the screaming and shouting on top of their voices. They never shout outside their own homes, just move down the road to neighbours and annoy the hell out of them. Children have the right to play but I also have the right to peace in my own home. Double glazing doesn't block the noise out either.

PrimalLass Fri 06-Sep-13 22:10:55

To be quite frank; no one wants to hear kids screaming and screeching outside their houses in the evenings. It's really annoying. Really annoying.

I just can't imagine getting really annoyed by the sound of children just playing outside.

Crinkle77 Fri 06-Sep-13 08:52:15

I think you are being a little unreasonable. The kids in my street are little annoying screaming all the time but they are just children having fun. There probably won't be many nice evenings left and the nights are pulling in fast so let them have a few more days fun while they can. It won't be too long before they are kept in cos it's too dark. I have to say I am depressed at the nights pulling in and am really enjoying the last of the nice weather.

BackforGood Fri 06-Sep-13 08:52:10

YABU.
7.30 is hardly a curfew time.
It's part of living in any community - people have different ways of living their lives. They, nor you have any right to complain until it gets to 'unreasonable' levels - which, with children playing, would have to be a LOT later than 7.30

moanymandy Fri 06-Sep-13 08:31:03

7.30?! count yourself lucky! They are running around outside my house until 9pm some nights and before the summer holidays it was the same on school nights! shock

What are the noise rules in your area? Surely the "quiet time" is not 7.30pm to 9am? In most areas it is more like 10pm to 6/7am.

We live abroad in very orderly and rule abiding Germany, and the kids walk to school from 6.30am onwards (secondary school kids who have a bus to catch for a long journey) and the primary school kids walk to (in our case as we are rural) the bus stop at 7am, chatting and calling out to each other. No noise til 9am is ridiculous - even in the UK the kids have needed to at least briefly be outside on the way to school before 9am!

YABU with your timings - you are expecting 13.5 hours of quiet outside!

Oblomov Fri 06-Sep-13 07:04:28

What a load of rubbish. Ds1 needs hardly any sleep and gets up earlier than Me. Ds2 begs to go to bed.
I need loads of sleep.

Alibabaandthe40nappies Fri 06-Sep-13 06:56:31

Ocean what a load of bollocks.

My DS1 went to bed no earlier than 8 all reception year.

I helped out with reading all year and saw all the kids. He was bright eyed and bushy tailed while some others crawled around the classroom yawning.

NoComet Fri 06-Sep-13 00:18:10

YABU

Ours (7 and 9) are often still outside at that time (not screaming I might add), I'd rather they were out playing than cooped up inside. We went out for a bike ride after 7 the night before last. They don't need an hour of quiet relaxing before bed (lights out at 9 on weekdays here), the fresh air and exercise tires them out nicely.

Secretswitch Fri 06-Sep-13 00:08:57

My five year old is fed, read and in bed by 7pm. She has be up by 7am for school. My teens self regulate, I am generally asleep before they are.

I grew up in a little cul de sac, and at 3am one school night, My dad got us up, put us in coats and gloves and we went out into the middle of it and threw snowballs as it had been snowing really hard and the snow was fresh and soft, we were shrieking our heads off (there were 4 of us).

The neighbours kids faces popped up at their windows, but they were not allowed out sad

So shut your window?

FreckleyGirlAbroad Thu 05-Sep-13 23:53:03

Rache* teacher actually!!!

FreckleyGirlAbroad Thu 05-Sep-13 23:51:39

Wow, this makes me realize how glad I am sometimes to live abroad, where the kids are usually coming out to play around 7pm. One of the reasons I love the street we live in is that all the kids play out in the evenings, parents go out and join them and sit on the kerb keeping an eye on the kids and no-one complains about the noise. It doesn't keep anyone awake as primary age kids don't usually go to bed here until at least 9pm, and I'm a rache and can vouch for the fact that kids do not fall asleep in lessons or under perform because of this. Can't wait until my little one is old enough to join the others playing outside.

HeySoulSister Thu 05-Sep-13 22:54:57

Lol at being able to 'tell' who has bedtimes past 7.30!!

FreudiansSlipper Thu 05-Sep-13 22:53:30

how can you tell children who have bedtimes later than 730?

ds has never slept 12 hours. nursery or school have never mentioned to me that he is tired (apart from when he came down with a bug and puked up later that day)

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now