To think that children should be inside at 7:30pm and not...

(96 Posts)
BlingLoving Thu 05-Sep-13 19:43:04

Running around screaming in the street? Our neighbour's children are friends with other local children and they all play together which is great. But it's after 7:30 on a week night. Surely they should be inside? I don't care what time other people's children go to bed but I don't want to hear yelling children outside my house at this time of night. And it's also hard on ds who definitely doesn't like it when he's trying to sleep.

So annoying. To be fair, they are usually inside by 7 but on the nights they Aren't it really gets me.

comingalongnicely Thu 05-Sep-13 21:16:50

TBH 7:30 at night pisses me off just as much as 4:30 in the afternoon.

I don't want to hear kids screaming outside my house at any time of bloody day.

BUT - I was a kid, you were a kid & there will be kids long after your kids are dust. It's what they do. 7:30 is not a problem - it's still light! Just 'cos yours are tucked up, it doesn't mean the rest of them have to be.

Will the acceptable time shift as yours get older & stay up later??

YABU

usualsuspect Thu 05-Sep-13 21:20:59

Yabu.

PrimalLass Thu 05-Sep-13 21:26:49

*What age are these children OP?

I think if they're older than 8/9 it's not too bad but younger dc need bath and bed before that time in my books.*

My 5-year-old is never asleep before 8.30-9. I'd never get her into bed by 7.30.

PrimalLass Thu 05-Sep-13 21:29:26

*What age are these children OP?

I think if they're older than 8/9 it's not too bad but younger dc need bath and bed before that time in my books.*

My 5-year-old is never asleep before 8.30-9. I'd never get her into bed by 7.30.

PrimalLass Thu 05-Sep-13 21:29:53

Oops, DP.

everlong Thu 05-Sep-13 21:32:09

My 7 year old couldn't cope with going to bed at 9pm on a school night. He is shattered after a long day at school, then homework when he gets home.

Crowler Thu 05-Sep-13 21:34:37

I'm absolutely mystified by this playing outside business. I have to plan all my kids' playdates and drop them off, pick them up - what am I doing wrong here?

I think 7.30 is a bit late to be playing outside, my seven year old goes to bed at 7:45. It would be hard for me to pull this off if he heard a lot of kids outside having fun.

BlingLoving Thu 05-Sep-13 21:35:31

The kids range in age from about 4-10. Frankly, I couldn't care less when they go to bed, I just don't want them yelling in the street (and I felt that even before we had ds).

A few minutes after I posted they were called inside and were playing in the bak garden. I have no issue with that as its less immediate and I think they have the right to be outside, just not 2 m from my windows. But there's also less screaming - perhaps because there Are only the two who actually live next door playing at that point so less over excitement.

I don't get the kid centric attitude that says they can disturb the neighbourhood until whenever. We don't let ds play in the back garden before 9. And we don't do noisy things like mow our lawn, front or back, after 7. I simply don't understand people who do. Even if you don't have kids, don't you just want things a little quieter at some point?

Oceansurf Thu 05-Sep-13 21:37:54

YANBU...

Mind you, just so you all know, you can tell the kids who have bedtimes later than 7.30pm.

I'm a teacher grin

usualsuspect Thu 05-Sep-13 21:41:55

I wouldn't expect everyone to be quiet at 7.30,no.

everlong Thu 05-Sep-13 21:46:03

In the holidays ds played out till 8 ish some nights when it was light and sunny. Just up and down on his bike not making any noise or being a nuisance but on a school night that would be way too late.

MammaTJ Thu 05-Sep-13 21:46:41

Oceansurf my DDs bedtime is 7.30, she is now 8 and in year 4. She will go to bed when sent, stay awake until goodness knows when. Most memorable recently was 12.15. She was trying to wake her brother, who sleeps well, come downstairs to sneak food (that she is limited on because of her heart condition) and watch TV. She finally settled then and woke again at 5. I am sure she presents as a child who has a later bedtime though.

FreudiansSlipper Thu 05-Sep-13 21:46:53

ds was in sainsburys at 715 tonight shock

but he is never in bed before 830 and up at 730

muchadoaboutsomething Thu 05-Sep-13 21:50:47

Ds is 3 and usually outside at 7.30, I'd love him to get to bed earlier, but if we try it fails, and he has a tantrum. He sleeps to sometime around 8 though and at 12plus hours sleep why sweat that one.

Misspixietrix Thu 05-Sep-13 22:06:07

I'm wondering If the OP is my Neighbour too? Her Kids are PFB though. I'm giving her until they turn 3 or 4 and then she will See how hard it is! grin OP YNBU because I See where you're coming from re School Nights etc but you are being a bit U too. I think 7:30 is okay. As others have said it will be dark in A few weeks. smile

mamalovesmojitos Thu 05-Sep-13 22:07:23

YABU

morethanpotatoprints Thu 05-Sep-13 22:09:08

YABU because soon it will be dark, cold and kids won't be playing out at all after school.

HeySoulSister Thu 05-Sep-13 22:22:13

Yabu....YOU say not before 9 and not after 7.... Why do you expect everyone to adhere to your timings?

TheUglyFuckling Thu 05-Sep-13 22:30:57

On a school night our dcs are showered and in bed by 7.30pm and they can read until 8pm, bu they're usually asleep by then. It's what they've always done and it means we get a peaceful evening to ourselves and they get all the sleep they need (they're up by 7am).

Jinsei Thu 05-Sep-13 22:37:27

Mind you, just so you all know, you can tell the kids who have bedtimes later than 7.30pm.

I bet you can't. Not always.

My dd has always slept late, regardless of what time she goes to bed. Quite often, she'll just lie awake thinking about stuff. Tonight she didn't drop off until around 10pm.

She'll be fine in the morning, and all day at school. I know, because I've asked her teachers - I used to worry about her lack of sleep. The teachers have all expressed surprise at my concerns, and say that she tends to be one of the more alert children, always full of energy and enthusiasm, always ready to concentrate. You'd probably assume that she has an early bedtime, but she doesn't, and I've stopped worrying now. She just doesn't need as much sleep.

ziggiestardust Thu 05-Sep-13 22:46:15

YANBU. I think the majority of primary age children should be in bed at, or before 9pm, so they need at least an hour of relaxing before bedtime, plus perhaps a quick snack and chat with mum and dad, especially if one parent works late.

To be quite frank; no one wants to hear kids screaming and screeching outside their houses in the evenings. It's really annoying. Really annoying.

FreudiansSlipper Thu 05-Sep-13 22:53:30

how can you tell children who have bedtimes later than 730?

ds has never slept 12 hours. nursery or school have never mentioned to me that he is tired (apart from when he came down with a bug and puked up later that day)

HeySoulSister Thu 05-Sep-13 22:54:57

Lol at being able to 'tell' who has bedtimes past 7.30!!

FreckleyGirlAbroad Thu 05-Sep-13 23:51:39

Wow, this makes me realize how glad I am sometimes to live abroad, where the kids are usually coming out to play around 7pm. One of the reasons I love the street we live in is that all the kids play out in the evenings, parents go out and join them and sit on the kerb keeping an eye on the kids and no-one complains about the noise. It doesn't keep anyone awake as primary age kids don't usually go to bed here until at least 9pm, and I'm a rache and can vouch for the fact that kids do not fall asleep in lessons or under perform because of this. Can't wait until my little one is old enough to join the others playing outside.

FreckleyGirlAbroad Thu 05-Sep-13 23:53:03

Rache* teacher actually!!!

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now