To think that children should be inside at 7:30pm and not...

(96 Posts)
BlingLoving Thu 05-Sep-13 19:43:04

Running around screaming in the street? Our neighbour's children are friends with other local children and they all play together which is great. But it's after 7:30 on a week night. Surely they should be inside? I don't care what time other people's children go to bed but I don't want to hear yelling children outside my house at this time of night. And it's also hard on ds who definitely doesn't like it when he's trying to sleep.

So annoying. To be fair, they are usually inside by 7 but on the nights they Aren't it really gets me.

Alibabaandthe40nappies Thu 05-Sep-13 20:16:06

YABu

Bowlersarm Thu 05-Sep-13 20:16:22

This is the sort of thread that makes me feel oh so pleased that we moved to the middle of nowhere....

Used to make us cross, DH more so when the kids were shrieking outside our house and kicking their balls into our cars, when we lived in London.

You need to move OP smile

kali110 Thu 05-Sep-13 20:16:55

Yanbu

MovingForward0719 Thu 05-Sep-13 20:23:03

Aw give it 4 more weeks and they will be stuck in for 6 months. I think yabu a teeny bit but I did used to think the same when mine were younger.

12thDoctorsCompanion Thu 05-Sep-13 20:24:56

Bowlers a lot of us would LOVE to live in the middle of nowhere but we cant afford it. still buying lottery in hope.....

ringaringarosy Thu 05-Sep-13 20:29:00

my kids are usually outside til 8-9pm or later in the summer,thats in the back garden though not in the street-who plays in the bloody street?

Bowlersarm Thu 05-Sep-13 20:29:39

12thDoctorsCompanion in one way I'm sitting in my quiet non-children-playing-outside-and-annoying-me-house smugly.

On the other hand our old London house has increased in value x3 since we sold it. And our country house........hasn't!

We should have put up with the noisy kids for a few years longer....

PipkinsPal Thu 05-Sep-13 20:32:17

Bling I'm with you. Get the same problem around here. It has been dark by 8.30pm and I have heard 2 primary children racing up and down the street on their scooters. Although they do shout and scream earlier in the evening now. During the summer it was constant up until 10pm.

It's not being outside as such that is a problem, it's if they get screamy/screachy. I can accept not everyone wants their kids in and bouncing off the walls at home when it is the last of the summer evenings. But the ones who are over tired, out of control and badly behaved piss me off.

Kids here go to school age 6 so plenty are still home some week days if parents aren't working full time. Because their kids get a lie in till 8am or later they're not so fussed about bedtime. But it's awful being the one who has to drag DD1 in because I know she has to be up before 7.

i have an issue with the screaming at any time of the day tbh. winds me right up!

don't think it's unreasonable for kids to be out playing at 7.30pm tho.
if they're right outside your house it's also not unreasonable for you to ask them to keep the noise down a little bit

everlong Thu 05-Sep-13 20:37:49

Ds aged 7 is in bed reading at 7.30!

How do these kids manage to get up bright and early?

FamiliesShareGerms Thu 05-Sep-13 20:39:11

YABU. 1930 is not that late, the evenings will be too dark to play out very soon, and no wonder there's a childhood obesity problem if children aren't allowed to play out on a lovely warn summery evening.

FamiliesShareGerms Thu 05-Sep-13 20:40:50

Ringarosy, our DC play in the street because we live in London and back gardens are too tiny to play football in

everlong Thu 05-Sep-13 20:42:43

What age are these children OP?

I think if they're older than 8/9 it's not too bad but younger dc need bath and bed before that time in my books.

wearingpurple Thu 05-Sep-13 20:46:00

I let mine (8 and 9) play out till 7 tonight because it was a glorious evening and probably their last chance to enjoy it until 2014.

They've been in bed since 8, though. They get plenty of rest.

MammaTJ Thu 05-Sep-13 20:47:48

Those damn 12 year olds out till 7.30 at night!! Call the police! Or SS!!

hmm

Bunbaker Thu 05-Sep-13 20:47:57

"How do these kids manage to get up bright and early?"

Because not all of them need lots of sleep. See my earlier post.

ihearsounds Thu 05-Sep-13 20:48:29

My youngest was out at 7:30. He had already eaten his dinner. He was in before 8. Had his shower. Read a bit and now snoring. He will wake up for school. He wont be tired. Don't see the problem. I would rather he was out getting fresh air than cooped up inside a stuffy house.

forevergreek Thu 05-Sep-13 20:49:06

7.30 is early IMO. Ours aren't school age yet but toddlers and have just eaten dinner. They are playing with trains with dh atm and will head to bed probably around 9.30pm this eve. They have had a 2 hr nap today and will sleep in until 9am.

At 5 years most children have around 11 hrs sleep. Going to bed at 8.30pm and up at 8am seem perfectly fine for school. And allows them to play out on summer evenings

CoolStoryBro Thu 05-Sep-13 20:58:33

DS has football training until 8pm 3 nights a week and Cubs once a week. He's 8. 730 is really not the bedtime of the average 8 year olds I know. And, as others have said, in a matter of weeks, it will be dark early and they will all be home.

meisiemee Thu 05-Sep-13 21:01:04

Oh let it go as it is only a few nights before its too dark. The kids are just back at school and as long as its not 8:30-9:30 I would close the windows and let them get on with it. Good luck smile

raisah Thu 05-Sep-13 21:07:01

Some kids aged 8-10 have just gone in, they have been playing out unsupervised from 6 until just 20 mins ago. During the sunmer holidays I saw lots of kids hanging around the street corners until a lot later. I have never understood the attraction of hanging around the street corner, I woukd have been bored by it.

Kneedeepinshittynappies Thu 05-Sep-13 21:10:58

Mine are still at it, fwiw they have moved to garden but I can still hear them over tv. I have no issue whatsoever with kids out till whenever really, much better than inside glued to a computer. I just think that at some point it would be nice for our ignorant bastard neighbours to tell the kids to calm it a bit and stop screaming. Kids are 8 and 13 so old enough to understand a bit of consideration.

Kneedeepinshittynappies Thu 05-Sep-13 21:12:11

That's mind gone, car toot and all! Aaaaaaassseeehhhooollles! Feel much better now, thanks op!

JoInScotland Thu 05-Sep-13 21:12:47

Ah, I remember when our neighbour's kids used to kick their football into our old stone wall thereby 1) waking up my baby and 2) knocking the mortar out between the stones. We can't afford to fix it. The mother had said to please tell her if they did anything annoying.... I asked if they could play football at the park RIGHT BESIDE their house, the best park in our town.... she went mental at me. At the time, the boys were 8 and 10. We then had to live beside them for another 2 years while they boys continued to damage the wall by playing football at all hours, and the neighbour woman wouldn't even make eye contact with us. So relieved they moved in July!!!

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now