To think that this 6th Form Dress Code is wrong.

(237 Posts)
alistron1 Thu 05-Sep-13 18:30:34

DD1's 6th Form has a strict dress code of business/office wear. They have to look smart - which is fine.

This week it's been really hot, yesterday DD1 wore 'bare legs' with her very modest skirt suit. She got told off - initially for wearing flesh coloured tights (tights should be black) and was referred to the dress code which she brought home for me to read.

It contains this line:

"This is a mixed environment with particular implications for the way in which female students should dress."

AIBU to complain about this statement?

Morgause Fri 13-Sep-13 18:44:02

Me too, stillenacht, teacher and drama-type. We weren't that restricted in the 60s for goodness sake.

YeahWhat Fri 13-Sep-13 18:54:07

What a stupid thing for the school to write. I would complain.

pointythings Fri 13-Sep-13 18:57:46

Definitely contact the local press - and make sure they see both versions of the feeble excuse. The first is sexist, the second is politically correct, both are weaselly (apologies to all good and decent weasels here). The journos would have a field day.

merrymouse Fri 13-Sep-13 19:22:31

How on earth are these delicate flowers who are so flustered by knees going to cope at uni?

Do the pupils shield their eyes when they see a postman?

It seems a strange way to manage pupils who are presumably in sixth form because they want to learn.

alistron1 Fri 13-Sep-13 20:01:10

I keep on wondering if I'm over reacting and being professionally offended. I'm not, am I?

kangarooshoes Fri 13-Sep-13 20:48:36

No, you're not over-reacting. I would go batshit.

friday16 Fri 13-Sep-13 20:52:36

alistron1 Birmingham selective near a reservoir, by any chance?

alistron1 Fri 13-Sep-13 20:53:51

I've sent another email, asking for further clarification. It's tiring being restrained and considered. The sexist fuckers.

alistron1 Fri 13-Sep-13 20:57:32

friday - it has several ways!!

friday16 Fri 13-Sep-13 21:03:03

aliston1

Indeed. A few days ago I had cause to be looking at the presentation given to new parents in the summer and noticed the page on cleavages etc. My reaction was similar to your, and I was very glad that my children are in other sixth forms.

UptheChimney Fri 13-Sep-13 21:13:11

Tis is true however it means shoulders and knees generally and should not be used as an excuse for blatant sexism

this makes me so angry. There is absolutely NOTHING immodest about a woman or girl's shoulders or knees.

If others' religious sensibilities are offended, let them wear blinkers, or not look at me. I am not responsible for others' feelings.

Pixel Fri 13-Sep-13 23:00:35

Shoulders and knees? Are we all victorians?
<searches on Amazon for table leg covers lest dh becomes inflamed>

I'm all for 'modest' dress. I hate seeing young women with their bums hanging out of their shorts or girls going to school in not much more than a wide belt, but I agree with UptheChimney, nothing wrong with shoulders and knees at all.

NoComet Fri 13-Sep-13 23:41:34

hmm the shorts in the sea in the last picture in the prospectus are certainly not modest business dress.

And can you wave to the big red brick phalic object for me grin

Wearytiger Sat 14-Sep-13 08:02:30

Go for it OP.

My school was also very strict and every year our house mistress would read an announcement to the girls requesting that we desist from rolling up our (mid calf) skirts as 'the boys have complained that it makes the girls look cheap'). So very unlikely, and also offensive!

merrymouse Sat 14-Sep-13 09:51:17

It really is the explanation that's odd isnt it. Schools have all sorts of bizarre uniforms, but the idea that intelligent, committed sixth formers would be distracted by an outfit that would be worn by the duchess of Cambridge (visible knees, skin coloured tights) is a few sandwiches short of a picnic.

Its a bit "sorry miss, I wasnt listening to you because I was looking at knees".

SconeRhymesWithGone Sat 14-Sep-13 15:01:03

Good point, merrymouse. Perhaps if the Duchess were planning to visit the school, they could send her a note ahead of time, warning her about "particular implications."

Good for you, OP, in persisting with your objections.

pigletmania Sat 14-Sep-13 15:11:11

Go for it, absolutely shocking. What about ales having to dress modestly! absolutely sexist! This is not an Islamic country!

ILoveAFullFridge Sat 14-Sep-13 15:20:26

"Immodest dress may offend religious sensibilities"

They've clearly not taken into account the religious sensibilities of any Muslim pupils or staff!

What utter claptrap.

merrymouse Sat 14-Sep-13 20:49:27
Pixel Sat 14-Sep-13 22:38:50

You could have warned me about the link, she's showing her shoulders and knees at the same time. Oh the shame!
I see some people further down the page have fainted from the shock.

NerfHerder Wed 17-Sep-14 21:23:25

I would love to know what the outcome of this complaint was... and whether alistron1's dd is applying for physics still! smile

MrsWinnibago Wed 17-Sep-14 21:26:26

You've bumped it Nerf? A zombie thread? Did you go looking for it? I am also keen to know though and think I have seen Alistron about.

Marmiteandjamislush Wed 17-Sep-14 21:28:19

Is it a faith school?

Cherriesandapples Wed 17-Sep-14 21:31:11

Whose religious sensibilities? The head teachers, local community, other pupils? Just who feels that they have the right to make girls wear black stockings? You should complain to Ofstead!

Cherriesandapples Wed 17-Sep-14 21:32:06

Oh how annoying - a zombie thread!

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now