To think that this 6th Form Dress Code is wrong.

(237 Posts)
alistron1 Thu 05-Sep-13 18:30:34

DD1's 6th Form has a strict dress code of business/office wear. They have to look smart - which is fine.

This week it's been really hot, yesterday DD1 wore 'bare legs' with her very modest skirt suit. She got told off - initially for wearing flesh coloured tights (tights should be black) and was referred to the dress code which she brought home for me to read.

It contains this line:

"This is a mixed environment with particular implications for the way in which female students should dress."

AIBU to complain about this statement?

lagertops Thu 05-Sep-13 18:48:35

I would also like to know about these seemingly deserved implications, it sounds like a threat if you turn up to school with 'leg coloured legs' as DeathByTray excellently put it.

MrsHoratioNelson Thu 05-Sep-13 18:49:02

Well, I work in a traditionally professional office and I have always felt that bare legs are inappropriate. But apparently I am old fashioned.

Even so, nude rights is completely appropriate - and, to my mind, actually more appropriate in this weather when whatever else they're wearing is likely to look odd with black tights.

EduCated Thu 05-Sep-13 18:49:46

Bloody hell. In my very large organisation wot I work for its perfectly normal to go bare legged. Who the hell wears black tights in the summer?!

And that's without the vile and ridiculous statement.

SconeRhymesWithGone Thu 05-Sep-13 18:52:30

Oh, I would be all over this in a flash. Very objectionable. And definitely use this phrase: male students controlling themselves around legs that are leg coloured.

NadiaWadia Thu 05-Sep-13 18:52:37

Considering the stereotype of teachers is that they are all Guardian reading and ultra-PC, I am amazed at the antiquated twattishness of this attitude. Complain away and if no joy escalate it to LEA level.

Yonihadtoask Thu 05-Sep-13 18:54:15

Wow!

So American Tan tights are a no go ?

what a load of bollocks.

OP YWNBU to complain. Not at all.

NadiaWadia Thu 05-Sep-13 18:55:17

And all this 'business dress' for 6th form students is bloody stupid anyway. Once they get to university they'll all be in jeans anyway. They are in 6th form to study, not arrange international mergers, etc.

SoupDragon Thu 05-Sep-13 18:55:37

So there are no "implications" for the way male students should dress?

Well, I'm not sure there are really. I've never seen a male student dressed in something short, tight and inappropriate for a learning environment. I guess the equivalent is those ridiculous low sling trousers but I don't think I've seen male students try that one in the same way the females seem to hitch their skirts up.

However, the phrase you quote is crap and has no place in the dress code. I would be complaining about it.

forevergreek Thu 05-Sep-13 18:58:25

I remember having no dress code at 6th form and half the year wore pyjamas most days smile ( very successful school/ top grades achieved from wearing pjs and slippers)

alistron1 Thu 05-Sep-13 19:01:05

I understand about wanting people to look smart and professional. I was aware of the dress code ( in a general sense) and supported it. The emphasis on female students and the wording is what I'm riled about.

MaureenMLove Thu 05-Sep-13 19:03:20

I take it every member of the teaching staff and admin staff are also wearing black tights??

Bloody ridicuous! DDs 6th form had a dress code a bit like that. She had to wear a blouse with a collar or a dress every day. She was a bloody art student and spent all day in the art rooms getting messy!

foslady Thu 05-Sep-13 19:06:54

Wow.

I'd be going ballistic. What a crappy attitude they are instilling into the boys in that one sentence - as well as the girls. I also think it's an insult to the intelligence of both sexes that they think they should accept this statement.

valiumredhead Thu 05-Sep-13 19:08:48

Bare legs are appropriate in this weather.

The other stuff is nonsense-complain!

ShutTheFuckUpBarbara Thu 05-Sep-13 19:12:31

I would be fuming as well!

The wording is just plain wrong, not to mention the dress code!

I work for a very conservative company with a dress code to suit, and even they allow bare legs in the summer! To put it into context, we are not allowed sleeveless tops or anything above the knee, etc. so really very conservative still!

I wore opaque tights today (which was hell) but its proper business dress.

They should change the dress code to all tights IMO - nothing wrong with nude ones.

I don't think bare legs is business attire - I'm in a school.

cherry219 Thu 05-Sep-13 19:17:16

Add this link to your complaint, it's been doing the rounds today: natepyle.com/seeing-a-woman/

YANBU, it's a disgusting phrase.

MortifiedAdams Thu 05-Sep-13 19:17:45

Why didnt they just say

Girls - dress trousers or smart skirt with black tights
Boys - dress trousers

Why even put anythig else?!

Anthracite Thu 05-Sep-13 19:18:23

I would love my DD's sixth form to have a "suit" dress code.

I wanted to poke needles in my eyeballs in New Look and H&M last week.

Pachacuti Thu 05-Sep-13 19:19:27

The wording is just wrong and inappropriate to begin with.

But applying it to "no bare legs even below the knee" takes it to new heights of ludicrousness.

We were always allowed bare legs when I worked in an office environment.

Ezio Thu 05-Sep-13 19:19:35

What the heck is wrong with bare legs, i dont get it, they arent sexual or offensive imo.

Its just weird, to think that women cant bare there legs a bit without it being offensive or inappropriate.

sassytheFIRST Thu 05-Sep-13 19:19:54

I've been in a dress with bare legs and flip flops the last couple of days. I'm a teacher. If anyone had suggested that my attire was not quite smart enough, I'd have accepted the point (though pointed at the several beardy, tweed jacketed chaps who might just about constitute appropriate if their stuff weren't so ancient...) BUT if I'd been told my clothing was wrong because the males in my vicinity struggle to control themselves around bare legs, I'd have been V Cross Indeed.

notimetotidy Thu 05-Sep-13 19:22:42

Why do they not have a school uniform in the Sixth Form? Surely that would make more sense.

Also have to wear close toed shoes in our school.

The 40 denier tights and closed shoes were pretty horrible for me today.

NoComet Thu 05-Sep-13 19:27:00

YANBU
Tights in hot weather are sodding unpleasant and unhealthy.

DD1 Y10 got very uncomfortable and resorted to black ankle socks (her shoes aren't comfortable without socks, i thought she'd get teased, but she wasn't the only one by the end of last term) DD2 has brogues, so could wear trainer liners.

Plenty of women go to work with bare legs or in linen trousers in summer, many wear sandals, which also offend schools for some ridiculous reason.

merrymouse Thu 05-Sep-13 19:28:05

Wouldn't it be more comfortable to wear light weight trousers rather than tights?

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now