Advice pls...I'm after finding a teeny tiny kitten, eyes not even open!

(34 Posts)
FingersCrossedLegsNot Thu 05-Sep-13 15:35:34

Not an aibu...but need advice quickly. As I said in title we found a tiny kitten, eyes not even open totally abandoned. I think we will keep it.

However I'm not sure how old it is or what I need to do to care for it.

It keeps bawling, for its mama I'm sure.

Can I give it milk....what should I do??

Rooners Thu 05-Sep-13 19:43:28

Aw well done smile you are a great cat mummy!

Are you in Ireland? I'm certain you are by the way you talk!

As the others have said. Have a very, very good look for the mother and other kittens.

In the meantime a tiny kitten will need two hourly feeds of special formula - 24 hours a day. A far better option would be to find a rescue with mothers and kittens either at the rescue or being fostered, and then add the kitten to one of those litters.

Be prepared for the worst though. It is a very touch and go thing and it's quite likely that, even if you do everything right, the kitten still won't make it.

Let's hope for the best though.

Pimpf Fri 06-Sep-13 00:49:12

I've hand reared 2 kittens when their mum died shortly after they were born, there were 3 originally, 1 didn't make it.

I'd had no experience. It was hard work but very rewarding.

MidniteScribbler Fri 06-Sep-13 00:57:02

Look up cat forums in the uk and post there. Sometimes people with a litter will take in an orphan kitten and it will be able to be fed by the cat and raised with another litter. We do it a lot with dogs. My retriever had a little sheltie puppy in among one of her litters, it looked so funny, but she accepted it no problem and raised it. Best little retrieving sheltie ever now smile

DaleyBump Fri 06-Sep-13 01:01:15

Marking place, best of luck flowers

issey6cats Fri 06-Sep-13 03:16:50

i know this sounds daft but put a soft toy like a teddy bear in with the kitten as it gives him/her something to snuggle up to, and try to get kitten bottles as they are more natural for the kitten suckling than a syringe, cimicat formula is the one that the rescue i work for uses, and when you feed make sure the kitten is the right way up notn upside down like a human baby as they can choke good luck

kerstina Fri 06-Sep-13 08:39:22

Ah what a lovely thread ! Tears in my eyes reading it. Please let us know how you get on.

samu2 Fri 06-Sep-13 08:47:49

Please take it to the vets today. Like others have said, mum could have left it because it is ill. Happened to one of my kittens, mum left it and I tried to feed it but it died a day later.

I hope for a great outcome for your little one but it really does need to see a vet as soon as possible.

loopylou6 Fri 06-Sep-13 09:06:54

Oooh, how is baba kitty today?

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now