Note: Please bear in mind that whilst this topic does canvass opinions, it is not a fight club. You may disagree with other posters but we do ask you please to stick to our Talk Guidelines and to be civil. We don't allow personal attacks or troll-hunting. Do please report any. Thanks, MNHQ.

To have smiled sweetly and said nothing to this school bully

(492 Posts)
DrinkFromMyFountain Thu 05-Sep-13 14:55:44

14 years ago I left school. There was one girl who made my life hell, said a load of nasty things about me and told me I would never amount to anything. She also said I'd end up single and Childless at 30 working in a shop. (NB I see nothing wrong with this, but it was meant in a horrible, nasty, put downy way). This was amongst various other things she said and did to try to make my life a misery.

This morning I took my car to the car wash and saw her working there washing cars.

I ordered my car wash for my naice car with my baby DS in the back and said "fancy seeing you here". She made a grimace of a face and carried on with her work.

Karma you beauty.

JenaiMorris Thu 05-Sep-13 16:59:00

YABU - it's an ugly sentiment. But I'd I've done exactly the same (and indeed have blush )

BoozyBear Thu 05-Sep-13 16:59:46

i work on a checkout, i hope no-one i used to go to school with thinks badly of me for it or thinks of themselves a superior for their 'better' job. hmm

im married with 2 kids and i work part time in that job because it pays well and fits in with my life.

SilverApples Thu 05-Sep-13 17:01:21

Nasty, unhelpful and critical co-worker who made me very miserable for three years. Moved jobs.
Ten years later, guess who is applying for a job at my school? The one where I'm a respected and established Good Thing?
No, I didn't recommend her and she didn't get the job.

Toughtimes30 Thu 05-Sep-13 17:01:48

Great thread! All the 'popular' girls at my school who used to look at me and my friends (not popular or geeks) like we were trash and take the mick out of us to look cool ended up pretty much the same as your bully. These girls made us feel so insignificant and pathetic for no reason at all, now I have to chuckle when I drive past them in my nice car with my beautiful baby girl grin

I'm loving how people have had some sort of karma from their childhood bullies but it seems as if this thread is at risk of morphing into a 'you work in retail - your life must be shit' thread.

I dunno maybe I need a beer and then I can take this thread in the spirit it was intended. smile

SilverTen Christmas Eve is actually a pretty great shift to work, you get more happy people in then you do grumpy people. I don't work all year round anymore, I am lucky enough to be able to be a SAHM but I'll be temping at my old employer just for the sheer fun of seasonal retail actually I must be mad grin

nancerama Thu 05-Sep-13 17:07:14

I went to a "naice" secondary school, or so my parents thought. I was miserable and constantly picked on by the popular queen bee, who declared at every available opportunity that I was "so fucking common". Last time I encountered her she was working behind the bar at a really grim nightclub.

Oh goody, whilst I typed that essay of a post I've xposted with others! grin

kukeslala Thu 05-Sep-13 17:08:52

I don't really see what the karma is?

Is it that she was washing cars at a car wash and you think that's a lowly job?

Or that you have a nice car and a baby?

Boosterseat Thu 05-Sep-13 17:09:37

My best friend works on a checkout Boozybear, full time, no children and loves her job. My friend is the one of the cheeriest, polite and chatty people on this earth and does her job with pride and i love going in and being served by her grin

I do not consider myself "better" than her at all, but I cant apologise for my feelings toward a bullying cow who wanted to drill into me every single day how shit my life was going to be because i wasn't going to uni.

I have once worked cold calling for a timeshare company - now that was a job i was ashamed of (it was a complete scam!)

cantspel Thu 05-Sep-13 17:12:21

These people were children when they bullied and looked down on you. Probably with a host of family problems you knew nothing about.

You are now adults so what is your excuse as you seem to have morphed into the very people you hated.

MarmaladeTwatkins Thu 05-Sep-13 17:18:45

I agree with cantspel.

I like it when I hear that someone has come face to face with a bully from the past and the bully has been apologetic. That seems like a nicer closure than being smug because of their perceived shit life.

sad

Lilacroses Thu 05-Sep-13 17:19:49

You could very well be right cantspel but I don't think you can be overly judgey.....some people that have been bullied are affected by it for life. What these people are pleased about is seeing a person who previously had power over them no longer in that position. It's understandable.

BoozyBear Thu 05-Sep-13 17:22:00

i was bullied horrendously at school, so its not like i dont understand the feelings of wanting to be glad when someone who was shitty to you got bit on the arse by karma.

But 'karma' isnt a particular job you feel is beneath you.

I try to focus on the fact that i am still loved, successful and happy DESPITE their best efforts to convince me otherwise.. i dont need to know or care what their lives are like.

cantspel Thu 05-Sep-13 17:23:24

But the greatest revenge is to go on and be happy in your life be it on a checkout of tesco or CEO of a multi national. Not to gloat as you now think they are inferior to you.

RedHelenB Thu 05-Sep-13 17:26:57

Exactly cantspel!

kukeslala Thu 05-Sep-13 17:27:32

Cantspel I agree, doesn't make it any less hurtful or right for those victims, but you have it bang on!

Have we all not done things we are ashamed of, with regards to our behaviour when younger.
As adults we have hopefully learnt how our behaviour can effect others and made adjustments.

Also OP, your title says you didn't say anything, you did...

SubliminalMassaging Thu 05-Sep-13 17:29:18

You are very gracious. I might have to have made some catty passing shot as I drove off. I bet it was a great feeling. grin

LeGavrOrf Thu 05-Sep-13 17:30:35

I wasn't jubilant because she worked in a shop. More that she looked like shit, was really scruffy looking and miserable.

Not about shop work or people in lowly jobs, I have worked on factory floors, as a waitress, as a cleaner and in a knicker factory and loathed people looking down on me.

LeGavrOrf Thu 05-Sep-13 17:32:31

Ah your right cantspel and marmalade, i wondered if it came across is snooty when I posted it hence why I said I didn't mean any offence to supermarket workers.

Sorry for any offence, I don't mean to be a twat.

SubliminalMassaging Thu 05-Sep-13 17:34:01

I'm sure the OP would not normally look down on anyone on account of their employment status - it's just that this particular woman was spiteful and superior and she's porven to be just ordinary, and waiting on the OP. I think she can afford to feel a little bit smug in this instance.

MarmaladeTwatkins Thu 05-Sep-13 17:34:16

Fucking hell, Here or. Do you live in Coronation Street? Your CV reads like it belongs to Leanne Battersby. grin

MarmaladeTwatkins Thu 05-Sep-13 17:34:42

Here or? GET OFF, OBVIOUSLY.

MarmaladeTwatkins Thu 05-Sep-13 17:35:32

It wasn't you GetOrf, honest. Xx

SilverApples Thu 05-Sep-13 17:38:41

I married a clever and talented bloke who thinks I am fabulous.
He's never wrong about that sort of thing, I must be amazing. grin

cantspel Thu 05-Sep-13 17:41:37

I married a not so clever or very talented bloke who worships the ground i walk on. Silly bloke thinks the best thing he has ever done is marry me.

I would hate to upset him by disagreeing with him.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now