To really want a cold, cold winter?

(230 Posts)
Sparklymommy Tue 03-Sep-13 08:08:42

Just that really. I have enjoyed the summer, don't get me wrong, but I long for a proper winter. Christmas card scenes with snow and frozen ponds.

Snatchoo Tue 03-Sep-13 21:59:35

YANBU! I hate summer. I love winter - especially snow.

I am aware this makes me unpopular grin

LiegeAndLief Tue 03-Sep-13 21:56:55

I think there's people living at opposite ends of the country here talking at cross purposes (although admittedly some of them seem to living in a weird micro climate). I am genuinely curious about where you live if last winter was quite mild and you have just had a couple of hot days this summer and it has been mostly wet.

FWIW, I live in the SE. Here the weather has been glorious all summer, bar a little bit of rain. At the beginning of the summer it was getting on for 30 degrees for weeks. The winter was shit, it rained for about 6 months and then there was snow on the ground for weeks.

I was brought up overseas and have no problem with hot weather - I think the problem here is we are not very well set up for it (likewise snow!). The houses generally get very hot, our bedrooms were over 30 degrees at one stage, and ds's school in low ceilinged portacabin type buiding was pretty miserable too.

iklboo Tue 03-Sep-13 19:59:39

No snow or loads of ice thanks. DH is self employed. If he can't drive, he doesn't earn and we lose money from the household.

MamaBear17 Tue 03-Sep-13 19:59:27

It seems you are U! I must be too though, because I want a cold, snowy winter too!

Bowlersarm Tue 03-Sep-13 19:55:15

Haha valium your googling is like mine-very waffly

usualsuspect Tue 03-Sep-13 19:17:48

Good job that's all you were googling,Valium

CruCru Tue 03-Sep-13 19:12:36

This is a funny sort of thread. It's all pie in the sky - we don't get a particular sort of winter or summer by wishing for it.

I would prefer not to have snow at Christmas because I've always got to travel to some random bloody places to see people during the 12 days - or we have people coming to us.

Reminds me though - I must get DS some new thermal long johns - he's outgrown his old ones.

valiumredhead Tue 03-Sep-13 19:10:26

Ha ha I posted what I meant to googlegrin was trying to find out heat related deaths

cantspel Tue 03-Sep-13 19:10:03

We had one or 2 hot days this year not exactly desert conditions and then just periods of nice warm weather.

In winter you get months of endless cold, wet days.

Piles of wet washing to get dry. massive heating bills, defrosting the car for 15 minutes every morning before you can start the day. Cracked pipes, snow days, short dark days, having to cook something hot and filing everynight because a salad a cold meat just wont do and cold feet every night in bed.

No i dont want a cold, cold winter.

valiumredhead Tue 03-Sep-13 19:05:42

How many people for from the heat in UK

usualsuspect Tue 03-Sep-13 19:01:37

I think you need to chill, see what I did there.

PA won't win your argument either.

susiedaisy Tue 03-Sep-13 19:00:22

I say yanbu
My bank account begs to differ!

SirChenjin Tue 03-Sep-13 18:59:31

Oh, and I'm not being 'noble' there, before anyone jumps up and down. LOL.

RussiansOnTheSpree Tue 03-Sep-13 18:58:44

Well, love, you used it to get a reaction, so I'd say most definitely yes, you do. To a positively infantile extent, in fact. grin

Sparklymommy Tue 03-Sep-13 18:58:20

A fan of bill bailey usual? grin

SirChenjin Tue 03-Sep-13 18:57:55

<DM alert> (but it's from the Office for National Statistics, so it's OK) shows 24,000 people died from excess winter deaths in 2011.

How many do you reckon for deaths related to the summer? 1000 at most maybe?

That is why I hate winter and I hate what it does to people. Anyone who wants a really cold winter obviously doesn't experience them often enough in the UK.

valiumredhead Tue 03-Sep-13 18:56:00

At least it's solid from the frost.

usualsuspect Tue 03-Sep-13 18:55:31

Another acronym for you ,DILLIGAF.

You can't see the dog poo you're also kicking up though

RussiansOnTheSpree Tue 03-Sep-13 18:53:22

usual Nobody is trying to win an argument. Some people are saying they like cold winters, some people are saying that it's rank lunacy to like the cold, both viewpoints are fair enough, everyone is happy, then someone comes along and starts trying to use the 'will nobody think of the OLD PEOPLE' card to try and get some moral backing for their preference. Which is ridiculous especially since, as I pointed out, plenty of people suffer in the hot weather too.

Their can be NO moral argument either for or against a hot summer, or a cold winter. But the people who are desperate to pretend their preference is something more noble than just what they like won't have it.

Doesn't stop them being ridiculous though.

And I'm not even slightly surprised you used that acronym. It;s exactly what I'd expect.

valiumredhead Tue 03-Sep-13 18:52:02

Tits-oh yes, long walks kicking dry leaves, lovely!smile

valiumredhead Tue 03-Sep-13 18:51:07

Anyway,I can't wait to buy my new autumn scarves and gloves, high light of my yeargrin

usualsuspect Tue 03-Sep-13 18:49:59

Sparkly*

I agree OP I like my winters cold and my summers mild. I want a proper autumn, dry with nice red and golden leaves and cooler weather.

valiumredhead Tue 03-Sep-13 18:49:41

How patronisinghmm I lived abroad for years,I was born outside the UK,I can cope just fine. It's not just a case of acclimatising at all. It's horribly muggy here and out houses aren't set up for the heat.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now