AIBU to think I can go from being scatty and unorganised to super organised?

(5 Posts)
LongTailedTit Tue 03-Sep-13 02:44:21

Thanks OP! smile

My sis swears by FlyLady, it really works for her. I tried it but found it grating, she has lots of free resources online tho so it's def worth having a look. There's usually a FlyLady thread running in Good Housekeeping too if you fancy joining for motivation.

AgentZigzag Tue 03-Sep-13 01:26:34

I'm anally controlling pretty well organised, and after getting rid of the bulk of 'stuff' that inevitably piles up in every house, it's just a game of shifting things from one place to another grin

Whenever you go anywhere, take something with you to put back wherever it lives (that's another thing, find a place for everything, if you can't and don't need/use it, chuck it. Be strict and unsentimental).

Get everyone involved, have one weekend where you blitz the house and then give out daily tasks. They don't have to be under the whip or anything grin but responsible for something appropriate to their age (apart from the littlest, that might be asking for trouble grin).

I need everything to be straight, I feel so out of control if I get bogged down with it all, it's like a huge wall you haven't got the strength to get over, and it feels great when you can see the difference.

But you're not alone and I've heard good things about the Flylady website?

Ghirly Tue 03-Sep-13 01:21:54

Some good tips, thankyou.'

And good luck with your pregnancy.

LongTailedTit Tue 03-Sep-13 01:18:06

Chaos here too, but with none of your pressure! I'm worrying about how I'll get my 2yo to preschool by 9, quite pathetic in comparison!

Systems are the way forward.
I'm naturally disorganised but at work had a system for everything, a place for everything, and a label for everything - everyone thought I was Mary Poppins. smile

Clothes for both of you laid out the night before, bags packed and by the door, lunches packed (bento boxes handy for this so you can keep stuff separate so no soggy sandwiches).

Menu plan for the week, chores shared out. Batch cooking to give you more options. Set days for set tasks.

All this is good in theory....

I've just bought the 'Unfuck Your Habitat' app in the hope it'll help me sort my house - pg with DC2 and refuse to bring another newborn home to this mess! I need my work head back.

Ghirly Tue 03-Sep-13 01:06:56

I'm not an organised person.
My house is usually chaotic. I'm a single mum to four children ranging from age 2 to 22.

I've recently started an access course to train as a teacher at university. This involves getting me and the 2 year old out the house by 7.30am.
(22yr old gets my school age son out to school).

My house always seems untidy and I never have the energy to do anything about it.

Do you think I can turn things around and, if so, how?
Any tips are gratefully appreciated.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now