About the school changing school uniform

(22 Posts)
KatyMac Mon 02-Sep-13 21:41:39

DD is starting year 11

She did a big 'grow' over the winter & at Easter I bought her 2 new skirts - totally in line with the school's policy on school uniform. With the intent that they would last her until the end of year 11

In May the school announced a new school skirt; same length as current rules but a new 'style' & it MUST be worn

I don't want to buy 2 new skirts as I have 2 perfectly acceptable ones that fit & are the right length

Am I being unreasonable to be decidedly miffed?

friday16 Mon 02-Sep-13 21:50:46

You are not being unreasonable. My daughters' school has added a blazer to the uniform (ie, there wasn't one before). Even in that case, where by definition people don't have one already, it's being phased in from Y7 upwards, so it's optional for the rest of their time in the school for everyone already in the school. Another local school has changed the uniform completely (with good cause, as the previous uniform can only have been the result of a drug crazed colour blind maniac) and has provided a complete set without charge for all existing pupils.

Talk to the governors.

jacks365 Mon 02-Sep-13 21:59:12

When my dd's school changed the skirt they exempted years 10 & 11 and allowed a year cross over where either skirt could be worn. To bring it in like this is very unreasonable of them.

Sirzy Mon 02-Sep-13 21:59:56

YANBU. There should be a 2 year transition for things like skirts to allow people time to grow out of things!

DanicaJones Mon 02-Sep-13 22:00:42

When there is a uniform change there should be at least a year's grace before it is compulsory to allow for people who have bought new recently.

McNewPants2013 Mon 02-Sep-13 22:01:59

you have had 3 months to buy 2 new shirts.

If it was a change of uniform after the new term has started you would have had a point.

McNewPants2013 Mon 02-Sep-13 22:02:31

skirts, sorry not shirts

soverylucky Mon 02-Sep-13 22:05:10

YANBU - The school should phase in a new uniform. I would be very cross in your situation.

Hulababy Mon 02-Sep-13 22:05:12

When DD's primary changed their uniform we had an 18-24 month grace where either could be worn.

I am sure there were official rules mentioned at the time, hence the long time period. The Y6s at the time didn't wear the new uniform at all from what I remember.

peppermum Mon 02-Sep-13 22:05:12

YANBU - there should be a phased introduction of new uniform. What do other parents think? You can't be alone as a year 11 parent thinking this is unreasonable.

Hulababy Mon 02-Sep-13 22:05:26

When DD's primary changed their uniform we had an 18-24 month grace where either could be worn.

I am sure there were official rules mentioned at the time, hence the long time period. The Y6s at the time didn't wear the new uniform at all from what I remember.

KatyMac Mon 02-Sep-13 22:06:10

Why should I buy new? She has 2 new skirts which will last until she finishes school, they are in good repair, clean and they fit

KatyMac Mon 02-Sep-13 22:07:23

Her last skirts each lasted over 2 years - I would expect these to do similar

I certainly can't afford to replace uniform every year

DanicaJones Mon 02-Sep-13 22:07:58

Have the school said that the old skirt cannot be worn from now on?

soverylucky Mon 02-Sep-13 22:08:46

A school normally gives much more notice when changing uniform. Since at Easter they had not informed you of such a change they are unreasonable to insist that you buy new. Especially as your dd is in yr 11.

KatyMac Mon 02-Sep-13 22:09:30

Yes - only the new skirt is acceptable

So DD & I have discussed it and as we are
a) both rule followers &
b) short on cash

she will wear trousers....grin

soverylucky Mon 02-Sep-13 22:09:52

How much are the new skirts?

Chewbecca Mon 02-Sep-13 22:11:44

We have a new uniform starting this term. It was announced at Easter and there is 2 years grace. So there is less scope for handing down uniform than some parents hoped but I think 2 years is a reasonable compromise. We've all been asked to buy the new jumper (themjumper is fairly different) from September though so some people are in a similar situation jumper-wise.

Backtobedlam Mon 02-Sep-13 22:13:31

I'd send her in the skirts you have until they actually say anything. In sure there'll be others in the same position, as children all grow at different rates.

KatyMac Mon 02-Sep-13 22:13:54

Not a clue; but DD has acceptable school uniform so it's pointless

I just wanted to check I wasn't being completely unreasonable in feeling miffed

BTW does anyone want 2 slightly used (eg 1 terms worth) Navy Skirts? They are very slim fitting.....tbh I don't imagine the new skirts would fit DD anyway wink long of leg and slim of waist - it's always been hard getting them to fit

NoComet Mon 02-Sep-13 22:20:40

I would ignore totally as most of the other Y9-11 will too.

All our older girls have skirts that totally ignore the new edict on skirt length.

NoComet Mon 02-Sep-13 22:22:27

The Y7's have skirts that obey the edict for a week before they learn to roll them up (and down at the sight of the SLT)

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now