To argue with my DH because he is WRONG.

(96 Posts)
BoozyBear Mon 02-Sep-13 21:23:40

Message withdrawn at poster's request.

Osmiornica Tue 03-Sep-13 18:09:01

Next thursday is next week and this thursday is this week. However if I say ' ' ... on the next Thursday' it means this week just to confuse things.

The church week begins on a Sunday.

My university week ran Thu-Wed and I never got used to it

TheOriginalSteamingNit Tue 03-Sep-13 16:15:27

My week-to-view starts on a Monday. This weeks started with this Monday, and next week's with next Monday, and so on.... grin

lottiegarbanzo Tue 03-Sep-13 15:11:48

Oh well, I believe that traditionally, the week began on Sunday - look at a week to view diary. Most people think it begins on Monday though, so I'd say that's the current convention.

I would think this Sunday was the one coming, not just gone, partly because I suppose i see the week as starting on monday. Next Sunday is the 15th.

TheOriginalSteamingNit Tue 03-Sep-13 14:28:14

I can't imagine that it would - anyone?

DadDadDad Tue 03-Sep-13 14:27:04

Nit - again I'm agreeing with you, and I think my usage is that the week starts on Monday, so "next week" changes reference every Monday morning.

I was just wondering if an argument might start over which day the week begins.

BoozyBear Tue 03-Sep-13 14:19:59

kim147 Tue 03-Sep-13 14:17:00

And that's why it's good to clarify when someone says "next" to you.

I've learnt that lesson.

TheOriginalSteamingNit Tue 03-Sep-13 14:09:12

kim if I were going away on the 7th, I'd say I was going away this weekend, or 'at the weekend'.

TheOriginalSteamingNit Tue 03-Sep-13 14:07:47

Dad Whilst we're still not in 'next week', then I would use 'next Thursday' to mean Thursday 12th. On Monday, I would say 'on Thursday'. Because on Monday, it will be what we now call 'next week', but will then be 'this week'. So yes - next Thursday until Monday morning, just as you say.

You can say that's illogical if you like, but to be honest I don't think there's any need for philosophizing - as though Monday morning is some kind of arbitrary and illogical time to think that a week begins confused. I think your best chance of being understood and arranging plans for when you want them to happen is to use next Thursday to mean the Thursday that will happen next week, and to assume that - however illogical and peculiar and arbitrary - most people consider that a week begins on Monday.

DadDadDad Tue 03-Sep-13 14:05:30

BoozyBear - OK, we might be closer to answering my question.

1. On Monday (ie yesterday), you would have referred to 8th as "this sunday" - correct?

2. On Friday (6th), when you say "this Thursday", you would be referring to 12th - correct?

kim147 Tue 03-Sep-13 14:02:25

See - I'd have to disagree with that.

But if you asked me Friday, I would agree.

Last Sunday was the 1st grin

BoozyBear Tue 03-Sep-13 14:00:33

kim147 Tue 03-Sep-13 13:55:54

We're going next weekend?

Well is that the one coming up?

Does it alter if you say it on Monday or Friday?

kim147 Tue 03-Sep-13 13:53:59

So when's next Sunday?

If someone said on Tuesday that they would see you next Sunday, when would you expect to see them?

I think it also depends on how far away the day is.

I've had big arguments about this and now clarify it to make sure.

DadDadDad Tue 03-Sep-13 13:53:37

Nit and anyone else: I'm fine with your interpretation (although I still don't think pure logic can be used to justify it). I'm curious now whether it exactly works the same for everyone:

If "next Thursday" means 12th when you say it today, I take it that it will mean the 12th if you say it on Friday (the 6th). Will is still mean that on Saturday and Sunday? At what point, does "next Thursday" tick on in your mind to refer to 19th? 00:01 on Monday morning?

TheOriginalSteamingNit Tue 03-Sep-13 13:44:22

Well yes language is a system and all that, but next Thursday is the Thursday that happens in the next week - which is not this week, and I don't see how that's anything but logical, actually!

Mind you, I might not be making much sense, because next week is a really stressful one for me, and I've got a lot on between now and Friday. Roll on the week after next...

DadDadDad Tue 03-Sep-13 13:42:47

Sarah buys into my "theory" just as I distance myself from it... grin

DadDadDad Tue 03-Sep-13 13:41:31

I'm glad you appreciate my ingenuity. smile

But that is the point that I'm trying to make: that you can't really come up with a logical theory to explain either position, because language is not logical. Language relies on agreed conventions, and the problem is OP and DH have grown up with different conventions.

SarahBumBarer Tue 03-Sep-13 13:40:52

If you said that you were going to catch the next bus would you take the first bus that came or the second?

The first obviously.

He is right. You are wrong.

YABU grin

Wibblypiglikesbananas Tue 03-Sep-13 13:37:24

You are right. We missed my friend's husband's birthday party as she sent an email invite stating next and meant this.

TheOriginalSteamingNit Tue 03-Sep-13 13:35:32

It's next thursday because it's happening next week! This is this week (or does he think this is next week?). Daddaddad's theories are ingenious, but that's because they have to be, because it's wrong! grin.

Your husband fills me with uncontrollable rage.

nickelbabe Tue 03-Sep-13 13:15:01

Daddaddad - you know that's a silly argument, don't you?

anyway, you oculd also argue that you've said "the next bus", so by adding a definite article, you are saying it's the next thing that happens, in bus terms.

same as saying "the next Thursday" takes you to the next thursday that will happen.

nancerama Tue 03-Sep-13 13:02:01

You are right. My DH agrees with your DH - he is wrong. DH cooked a massive roast dinner for 7 people 2 weeks running because of this kind of foolishness.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now