To argue with my DH because he is WRONG.

(96 Posts)
BoozyBear Mon 02-Sep-13 21:23:40

Message withdrawn at poster's request.

You are right OP. so if this Thursday is next Thursday to your DH is last Thursday this Thursday???

Argh confused <head explodes>

Twooter Mon 02-Sep-13 21:39:24

Nah, I'm with your husband

BoozyBear Mon 02-Sep-13 21:40:23

rumbelina Mon 02-Sep-13 21:43:08

I'm with you, OP, however my mum would say 'Thursday week' as she likes to avoid confusion in such matters.

Shakey1500 Mon 02-Sep-13 21:43:39

Oh you are definitely NOT bu.

DH and I debate this. To me it's clear.

THIS Thursday is the 5th and NEXT Thurs (i.e after THIS BLOODY THURSDAY) is the 12th.

GRRRRR.

This Thursday is 5th. Next Thursday is 12th.

Gets more complicated when a weekend is involved though.

If it were Sunday today then I wouldn't be sure whether "next Thursday" was the next Thursday to arrive (ie four days later) or the Thursday in the next full week (eleven days later).

Similarly, if you talk to me about "next Saturday" I'd check whether you meant 7th or 14th.

It never occurred to me that 'this' and 'next' had different meanings and I can honestly say that I have never had a problem (as far as I know!) but now you explain in the way you have, OP, I reckon you are right and your DH is wrong.

I shall go and quiz my DH on what he thinks later. He always likes to nit-pick about words too. grin

McNewPants2013 Mon 02-Sep-13 21:45:54

next Thursday is 5th as it is next, also this thursday is also right.

contortionist Mon 02-Sep-13 21:50:10

This Thursday is the 5th, Thursday week is the 12th.
Next Thursday is ambiguous, and best avoided.

I'm with the OP on this one: This Thursday is 5th as it is in this week, and next Thursday is 12th, as it's in the next week coming along.

littlewhitebag Mon 02-Sep-13 21:59:52

You are right OP. This Thursday is 5th, next Thursday is 12th.

DadDadDad Mon 02-Sep-13 22:15:35

next means immediately adjacent or following.

for it to be adjacent/following, there has to be one for it to be adjacent to/following.

so for it to be the NEXT thursday, there has to be a Thursday preceding it!

By that reasoning, if I was with you at a bus stop and you said "let's catch the next bus", we'd have to wait for one to go past and catch the one after that. Although I think I probably use "next Thursday" the way you do, I don't think you can use pure logic on it - it's language and it depends on usage.

AnythingbutEverything's comment is the most intelligent.

DadDadDad Mon 02-Sep-13 22:19:10

On Thursday (the 5th) if you talk "next Thursday" does that still refer to 12th? Does it still refer to 12th on Friday? On what day will the phrase "next Thursday" tick over to refer to the 19th?

DadDadDad Mon 02-Sep-13 22:22:25

Sorry - mistype: AnythingNOTeverything

Lweji Mon 02-Sep-13 22:27:10

I wouldn't assume and confirm which day it was.

Surely it can't be that difficult.

You are right.

He is wrong.

LTB.

grin

shoofly Mon 02-Sep-13 22:54:26

You are right, he is wrong, but his brain obviously works the same as Dhs... (who is also WRONG)

jkklpu Mon 02-Sep-13 22:56:44

Is he a native English speaker? In many other languages, the equivalent of "next xxx-day" is used when we would say "this xxx-day".

Budgiegirlbob Mon 02-Sep-13 23:03:30

I'm with your husband, up until about Tuesday! Today, next Thursday is 5th as it is the next Thurday coming. However, from about tomorrow, next Thurday will be the 12th, 5th will have changed to this Thursday! My poor DH never knows what day I'm referring to, so we always check dates!

BoozyBear Mon 02-Sep-13 23:13:11

Alisvolatpropiis Mon 02-Sep-13 23:13:52

You are right. He is wrong.

Oddly my dp also does this. Stupid menz grin

Graceparkhill Mon 02-Sep-13 23:45:11

In my mind the 5th is "Thursday coming" and the 12 th is" a week on Thursday". Easy peasy !

LadyMacbethWasMisunderstood Tue 03-Sep-13 06:27:49

You are right.

But get this: my husband doesn't say 'this Thursday' or 'next Thursday' at all. He merely says 'the Thursday' as in 'I've arranged to take the car for a service on the Thursday'. How helpful is that? He always does it.

Me (British): this Thurs = 5th, next Thurs = 12th.
DW (not British): next Thurs = 5th, no special term for subsequent Thursday.

I suspect this is a Britishism that the Internet is starting to challenge.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now