To argue with my DH because he is WRONG.

(96 Posts)
BoozyBear Mon 02-Sep-13 21:23:40

Message withdrawn at poster's request.

HoneyDragon Mon 02-Sep-13 21:24:30

You are right. This Thursday is the 5th.

Sparklymommy Mon 02-Sep-13 21:25:04

The 12th. He is wrong.

ButtonBoo Mon 02-Sep-13 21:25:15

YOU are right. Any fool can see that!!

It's THIS Thursday and NEXT Thursday. As in, not this one, next one.

Simple!!

Poppanicolino Mon 02-Sep-13 21:25:25

You are right, he is wrong. I hate it when people say 'next' when it's the same week angry

FairOfFaceButFullOfWoe Mon 02-Sep-13 21:25:38

I agree with you. He probably knows he's wrong but has gotten in so deep with the argument now he feels too silly to backdown.

You are right.

So what does he think you mean by this Thursday?

What about when you say next week? Does he think you mean this week? hmm

AnythingNotEverything Mon 02-Sep-13 21:27:07

The key thing with communication is to be clear. If the person you are speaking to has a different understanding, then you cannot communicate clearly about this, and therefore need to add clarity by supplementing with a date.

Neither of you are right or wrong.

bringbackopalfruits Mon 02-Sep-13 21:27:13

I'm with you OP, but it does confuse people and i'm always surprised! It seems to particularly confuse my DH and MIL. So I end up saying "next Thursday. Next week, not this Thursday". Odd smile

Yama Mon 02-Sep-13 21:27:32

Where on earth does your dh get his wrong ideas from? You need to get to the bottom of this. Poor, poor deluded man.

Nancy66 Mon 02-Sep-13 21:27:54

If somebody said 'last July' - would you think they meant July 2012?

BumFunHun Mon 02-Sep-13 21:28:00

You're right. But you know that. Your DH is clearly just not wanting to back down and probably has been feeling a muppet for nearly as long as your argument has been going on.

When would THIS Thursday be to him then, if not....erm...this Thursday?!

Tobagostreet Mon 02-Sep-13 21:29:44

12th of course!

He's clearly just not as clever as you (or I).

grin

ButtonBoo Mon 02-Sep-13 21:29:54

I like creatures comment.

Ask him that. When is NEXT week? That'll shut him up!

muchadoaboutsomething Mon 02-Sep-13 21:30:21

I agree with you, but for what it's worth dh agrees with your dh. It causes us no end of difficulties making plans. Dh is also not accepting of the simple fact he is wrong!

mrstigs Mon 02-Sep-13 21:30:22

Maybe he thinks of it as 'the next Thursday coming' rather than 'Thursday next week' which is how I would interperate 'next Thursday' myself.

Rollermum Mon 02-Sep-13 21:32:09

I have to confess I get this wrong, am with your DH unless I stop the think about it.

I tend to think of next and next next smile! But only in my head. It's because I take it literally and think of the next Thursday to come along.

Either way I always end up clarifying...blush

DoJo Mon 02-Sep-13 21:32:09

My husband has the same belief - he isn't just backed into a corner, he thinks that 'next' Thursday means 'the next Thursday that happens' and he thinks this is just as logical as thinking of it as 'the Thursday of next week'. I can almost see his logic, but it does mean I always check what he means.

mollymawk Mon 02-Sep-13 21:34:01

I've encountered this before. I'm with you OP - "next Thursday" means "Thursday next week" and "this Thursday" means "Thursday this week".

And yes Nancy66, I think "last July" is "July last year". If I meant July this year I would say "this July" or just "in July".

BoozyBear Mon 02-Sep-13 21:34:16

Zoe909 Mon 02-Sep-13 21:35:32

you are right. a day that is 48 hours away is 'this _day

Nancy66 Mon 02-Sep-13 21:36:33

mollymawk - thanks.

Quite often in journalism 'last July' would mean the July we had a couple of months ago and I always think that the reader will interpret that as July of the previous year.

BoozyBear Mon 02-Sep-13 21:37:16

Morgause Mon 02-Sep-13 21:38:02

He's wrong. YANBU.

DH used to think that way but I persuaded him of the error of his ways.

chesterberry Mon 02-Sep-13 21:38:07

I agree you are right, although as DoJo has said I can see the logic of thinking 'next Thursday' means the next Thursday to happen rather than Thursday of the next week.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now