Note: Please bear in mind that whilst this topic does canvass opinions, it is not a fight club. You may disagree with other posters but we do ask you please to stick to our Talk Guidelines and to be civil. We don't allow personal attacks or troll-hunting. Do please report any. Thanks, MNHQ.

to think my boss is an absolute cow

(56 Posts)
poikea Mon 02-Sep-13 20:13:49

Have namechanged as I need anonymity

Where I work we have just taken on 6 interns to help give them some work experience (I'm also quite new), however in the three weeks since they were set on my boss has fired 3 of them publically because failure is not tolerated at our company.
The treatment of the remaining has been hideous, one of them in a meeting tried to suggest an amendment to one of her ideas and she shouted at him telling him to know he's fucking place and that interns should only speak when spoken to. Also another occaision one of the interns made her coffee and she shouted her saying it was the worst coffee she'd ever had and she couldn't believe how thick she was. Also the tasks they have been given to do are also ridiculous, for example this afternoon I walked into the office to see one of them he was polishing her shoes and when I went back to my desk I could see the two remaining girls washing her car in the car park.
Others in the office seem to find it hilarious and say that "life's hard at the bottom of the foodchain" but I feel dreadfully sorry for them as another phrase she uses is remember who's writing your reference. AIBU to think this is bullying and hideous behaviour.

Solopower1 Mon 02-Sep-13 21:04:29

I don't know what you can do officially, but you could offer the remaining interns your support, in any way you can.

Also, if you can bring yourself to do it, keep a diary of what you have observed (if it doesn't make you feel too much like a spy). Maybe one day someone will take her to court, and your evidence would be useful.

It's good that you have come on here, because maybe someone will be able to help.

meganorks Mon 02-Sep-13 21:05:43

Is this made up? Is it the plot of a film? Or TV show? I just can't believe this would actually happen in RL.

Portofino Mon 02-Sep-13 21:07:49

That's what I was thinking Meganorks.

HeyUGuys Mon 02-Sep-13 21:15:31

I can. I worked in an office as an administrator, i was told to clean toilets, empty skips, hang pictures, and clean the light bulbs. After 2 years of this i left to work for their rival company as IT manager, taking alot of customers with me grin

HaroldLloyd Mon 02-Sep-13 21:16:44

I worked for a firm of solicitors once and they had very young staff who would do the post man reception and that type of thing, they were spoken to pretty similarly to this. I used to see them in a glass fronted office getting barked at. Sounds like a company with a rotten culture and I would be looking for a new job.

scarlettsmummy2 Mon 02-Sep-13 21:18:14

That is awful. I would raise it with HR and if appropriate I would confront her myself.

kali110 Mon 02-Sep-13 21:20:34

Absolute bitch. Needs reporting. Dont care if shes the queen of fucking england i hate bullies.

Jinsei Mon 02-Sep-13 21:22:08

Wow. Just wow.

I don't think I could work for someone like that. She sounds like a total bitch.

struggling100 Mon 02-Sep-13 21:23:19

Awful, awful, awful. Why do people act like this? I'd want to give them all a reassuring hug!

mumofthemonsters808 Mon 02-Sep-13 21:24:17

I hope your boss's child is an intern one day and gets similar treatment. If there's anything I hate it's someone picking on the young or abusing their power by bullying a kid. I would be mortified if my girl was treated like this on an internship. I'm hoping this is a wind up because it beggars belief that this type of thing goes on.

KenDoddsDadsDog Mon 02-Sep-13 21:25:39

Polishing her shoes ?

DanicaJones Mon 02-Sep-13 21:30:26

Appalling

LillyNotOfTheValley Mon 02-Sep-13 21:32:56

What a cow.

Sounds like she is playing her own version of the Devil Wears Prada.
You should buy her a copy and put it on her desk so that everyone can see. That is what I did before firing the PA who thought it would be appropriate to send the intern 3 times to starbucks changing her order, before pouring the content of the last cup in the plants in front of the poor intern.

Report to your L+2. It is harassment and no company wants to end up in court over a bitch in her mid life crisis.

farrowandbawl Mon 02-Sep-13 21:46:13

I used to work for someone like that. She destroyed my confidence in my job, gave me the pointless tasks, shouted at me for daring to be more organised in front of the entire office. I was an agency worker. I complained to her boss AND the agency but nothing happened. I haven't worked in that sector since, I daren't. I asked for references afterwards but she refused to send them...as if job hunting wasn't hard enough. It was a very cliquey place and she made it worse, if you weren't flavour of the month then god help you.

kali110 Mon 02-Sep-13 22:07:17

I had a bitch of a boss. Made my life hell. Nearly had a nervous break down. Nothing ever good enough. Protected and encouraged other bullies. After ten years of job i loved i left. Fucking hate them.

HollaAtMeBaby Mon 02-Sep-13 22:41:27

Can you at least take the interns aside and tell them you will give them references if they ever need one so that they can leave if they want to??

ukatlast Mon 02-Sep-13 23:00:33

I blame Reality TV shows like Gordon Ramsey, Alan Sugar et al and the demise of trade union rights....if you are going to be unpaid to gain experience, I really think you should have more self-respect than to stick around and be treated worse than a slave.

Solopower1 Tue 03-Sep-13 07:31:16

It reflects badly on the intern if they leave. No, the boss holds all the cards - until someone works out a way of taming her. What can you do, when it's her company? Aren't there any effective laws that protect employees from bullying?

I am reminded of my first boss after university in the late 90s. He was an utter shit. I just accepted the treatment he meted out to me because it was my first proper job and I didn't know any better.

I could hardly believe it when I eventually left, got another job, and found that my new boss was nice. Still, I think I still tolerate bad behaviour at work a bit more than some because of my first job.

Mimishimi Tue 03-Sep-13 07:46:21

Maybe she's trying a 'tough love' approach to see who is made of metal? If it's out of character wrt how she usually treats her normal employees maybe she's picked up this harebrained management idea from somewhere.

Back2Two Tue 03-Sep-13 07:46:37

shock
A different world of work from my own.
Oh my god. Washing the car? Polishing shoes?

I think the Devil wears Prada DVD is a good idea.

ivykaty44 Tue 03-Sep-13 07:47:55

Buy a copy of the DVD - TDWP and leave on her desk with a note that possibly she could give lessons as she makes the devil look rather sweet natured

marriedinwhiteisback Tue 03-Sep-13 07:49:06

Hmm. Interns, unpaid, first job after uni. Sorry but I think if the interns had any oomph they would have said "no, I'm not cleanng shoes and cars or being spoken to like that", put their coats on and walked. It's a role that never needs to be referred to again on any CV ever. If they're sitting there taking it, then I fear for their futures. It's their battle to fight not yours. If you detest the woman, find another job and move on but keep it sweet because you do need a reference.

BeckAndCall Tue 03-Sep-13 07:50:50

Your company must have a pretty good position in your industry to make it worth wanting to put themselves through that.

I wonder what they are promised at the end of the placement to make it worth while staying on - maybe one of the 6 of them gets a £100k pa apprenticeship? It can't be just a reference for them to take to your nearest rival?

OddSockBox Tue 03-Sep-13 07:51:17

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now