It is bloody stupid of Aldi to have kitchen knives on display out of their box at child height?

(38 Posts)

Well?

LayMizzRarb Mon 02-Sep-13 17:48:31

What about bleach, toilet cleaner, alcohol, aerosols? Should they all be on the top shelf too?
Sorry, but parents need to be in control of what kids are doing. It amazes me every time I go to Homebase or B&Q the number of pre school kids running up and down the aisles. I once saw a toddler escape by an inch after trying to climb on a display of paint tins, and bringing the whole lot down. I ran to see if the little boy was alright, and it took a good minute or two for the parents to turn up.
The mother walked off muttering about how they could make the display safer.

AnnaBegins Mon 02-Sep-13 17:48:37

So these ones then, the ones sold with protective covers on? Agree they should be where staff can see them, but given there are staff everywhere restocking shelves every time I go into Aldi they probably are!

No, not those ones. No protective covers. They're in a knife block so you pull them out by the handle.

LayMizz I think with household chemicals it depends on their lids. If they have child safe 'press down then turn' type lids then I don't think they'd need to be on a high shelf. If a toddler could just open them and drink bleach then I do. But I think they all have child safe lids nowadays!

I get the feeling some people think I'm over egging this. I'm not exaggerating the situation or the ease with which anyone could pick them up. I'm saying it as it is confused

I am quite prepared to be told I'm being unreasonable-I'm shocked if that's the case though.

SilverApples Mon 02-Sep-13 17:55:20

I was always careful with DD who had jaws like a hyena. She'd pick up a plastic bottle and bite through the side. grin
Child-proof tops? Ha!

firawla Mon 02-Sep-13 17:55:39

sounds dangerous, not even just children but any member of public could grab the knife and threaten someone?!? seems a bit off just to leave them in grabbing distance

spongebob13 Mon 02-Sep-13 17:56:18

I don't think yabu tbh. i'd be interested in their reply if you happen to email them and get one. its made me think what happens if.

SilverApples I know it's not funny but that is a great image!

Thanks spongebob. Was beginning to doubt myself!

fluffyraggies Mon 02-Sep-13 18:32:13

Oh i don't think you are BU OP.

Lots of things on sale around a supermarket could be potentially dangerous. A child would have to be unsupervised for a few moments for it to open and drink a harmful substance for eg. though.

But a big sharp knife has the capacity to be very dangerous the moment a child closes their fingers over it. Or, as you say, OP, to be used or stolen as an instant weapon in the heat of the moment.

I'm surprised so many posters are prepared to say that the principal of 'parent should be watching' trumps the risk to a small child from sharp knives within their reach. The child, after all, is not at fault if they have a parent who's not paying attention.

HeySoulSister Mon 02-Sep-13 18:34:50

if someone wanted to use it as a weapon then it being 'child height' would make absolutely no difference

They're separate issues aren't they soulsister? I don't think anyone's suggested they're related.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now