To spend this much on a pair of boots?!?

(99 Posts)
HerrenaHarridan Mon 02-Sep-13 16:18:45

Pros

They are beautiful
Hardy
Waterproof
Sturdy
Beautiful
Are £50 off from last year.

Cons? They are still £125

I don't normally spend that kind of money in myself however...
The army issue para boots I have been wearing for the last 4 years are almost dead so I'm looking to replace them with something fitted and easier to take off.

I do need quality boots as I live in Scotland (nuff said!) I am not generally a shoe collector and literally wear my boots every day that its too cold for sandal (except driving lessons which I have pumps for)

As to can I afford it, I suppose so. I have been budgeting hard and so have been putting money away for winter essentials.

However I don't have the money to waste iyswim.

So give it to me straight... An I being hopelessly selfish and I'm blinded by love if these boots (in black, with red laces, swoon) or a they a worthy investment, which I will treasure and value for years to come.

Has anyone tried them? Are they as good as the reviews?

stuckonsmallrock Wed 04-Sep-13 16:30:44

I really wish I hadnt clicked on this thread... I live somewhere with the same climate as scotland & now I am desperate for those boots!!! smile

Halfahundred Wed 04-Sep-13 16:47:15

Have they come yet Herrena?

CruCru Wed 04-Sep-13 18:10:47

Argh! Didn't spot the £95 link. Never mind.

UterusUterusGhali Thu 05-Sep-13 10:46:53

Mine have arrived!
Omg they're lovely!
I hadn't noticed they had a side zip, so super easy to get on. Plenty of room for jeans & thick socks underneath, without sizing up, and I'm thick of calf.

Sure, they're not the most sophisticated shoe, but my god they're going to be useful.

I'm really worried the zip will break tbh, but we shall see.

I'm beyond pleased! :D

UterusUterusGhali Thu 05-Sep-13 10:48:27

Oh, and I looked a right knobjockey trying them on with an unflattering summer dress!

Halfahundred Thu 05-Sep-13 12:30:41

Uterus - is the side zip flimsy then? This worries me as my zips always break on my boots. I haven t got especially wide calves, just that I wear them so much

teaselweasel Thu 05-Sep-13 12:42:30

The true cost of an item is price/number of times worn or used, so a pair of boots for £130 worn every day, are actually cheaper in the long term than a pair of scrappy shoes bought for £15 in a sale but only worn once to a wedding. That's my logic....

Have the boots and enjoy!

TeenyW123 Thu 05-Sep-13 12:43:56

Haven't read the whole thread, but my dad says there are 2 things you should splash out on. 1 is a good, comfy bed, and 2 is good, comfy shoes. Because if you're not in one, you're in the other.

Teeny

teaselweasel Thu 05-Sep-13 12:44:34

Meant strappy shoes..

teaselweasel Thu 05-Sep-13 12:45:15

Lol your dad is very wise

alwaysme Thu 05-Sep-13 15:29:38

Well, I followed Herren's link to those boots and thought, nah don't like them. But, something kept drawing me back!

So, I bought them. I mean you can always send things back, can't you?

They came today and OMG, what did I nearly miss, they are absolutely lovely. No way are these leaving the house except on the end of my legs grin.

I don't feel the zips are flimsy and they run smoothly. Time will tell though!

Thank you Herren smile

UterusUterusGhali Thu 05-Sep-13 15:32:09

Nah the zips aren't flimsy at all. If anything a bit stiff. I'm just worried they'll get caught as the leather is quite thick. And zips cost a fortune to replace!

Remember, only the rich can afford cheap shoes!

HerrenaHarridan Fri 06-Sep-13 09:46:55

Yes I am taking them out as we speak.

They are amazing!

No fear for the zip as the calf piece is stretchy so never tight or tension bearing.

The cushioning and support inside is heavenly, I am bouncing along smile

Fluffy softness all the way down to the toes and as one reviewer said they are light enough to dance in smilesmilesmilesmilesmile

I love them. smile

And if you've got little feet you can get them much cheaper.

It's great that others have got them to, share the foot happiness smile

Janek Fri 06-Sep-13 12:42:20

I'm very pleased for you! I don't think you will ever regret your choice.

Halfahundred Fri 06-Sep-13 18:30:32

Herrena - soft fluffiness all the way down? Really? Mine came and there's white fluff at the top but black felt stuff all the way down. Have we the same boots???

TarkaTheOtter Fri 06-Sep-13 18:42:07

I bought merrell Oslo boots last year and they have NOT aged well. The zip is broken on one and the seam at the back is splitting on the other. Also the lining now looks awful and I have no idea how to clean it.

Makinglists Fri 06-Sep-13 18:49:51

I brought some merrel boots last year (about 80 quid on ebay) and they are brilliant - the quality and build is that of a proper walking boot but obviously the styling of a fashion boot. I wore mine constantly from Nov to March. Def a good investment especially if you walk loads/live somewhere that has harsh winters

Janek Fri 06-Sep-13 19:01:01

tarka i would contact merrell/wherever you bought them from. That's not reasonable wear and tear, you must have a faulty pair, i would say it's definitely worth a complaint, as i said upthread, i got mine in december 2010 and they look like they have several winters left in them yet (and i have very cold feet, winters are long in my house!).

HerrenaHarridan Sat 07-Sep-13 10:43:44

I don't know halfahundred.

Mine are black with black fluff at top and when I stick my hand in the feel fluffy all the way.

Did you get the brown ones? Maybe there are more differences than just colour?

Halfahundred Sat 07-Sep-13 12:15:59

Yes, I got the brown ones. Oh but I now want fluff all the way down!!!

So, who's got the brown ones? And do you have calf to toe fluff??

HerrenaHarridan Sat 07-Sep-13 20:00:39

I was wrong shock

Previously I had only stuck my hand down. When I got home I looked more closely and lo and behold no fluff, felty stuff.

It's actually far to warm for them my feet are roooooasting smile

Halfahundred Sat 07-Sep-13 22:31:03

Oh okay, that makes me feel better! So white fluff at top, dark felt at bottom?

HerrenaHarridan Sun 08-Sep-13 18:30:25

Black fluff at the top and black felt going down smile

Halfahundred Sun 08-Sep-13 20:30:41

Oh yes, that makes sense

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now