Note: Please bear in mind that whilst this topic does canvass opinions, it is not a fight club. You may disagree with other posters but we do ask you please to stick to our Talk Guidelines and to be civil. We don't allow personal attacks or troll-hunting. Do please report any. Thanks, MNHQ.

about cyclists and road tax?

(88 Posts)

I often hear people moaning (both online and in real life)'\ about cyclists and complaining that because drivers pay road tax the cyclists shouldn't be allowed on the road blah blah blah. hmm

WIBU to point out loudly to the next idiot that comes out with this that there is no such thing as road tax? And that cyclists pay taxes that go towards maintaining the road network just like everyone else? Oh and that although there are dangerous cyclists there are also dangerous drivers?

I'm not a cyclist but this really pisses me off.

Rant over.

HappyJustToBe Mon 02-Sep-13 12:55:49

YWNBU.

Cyclists have zero emissions, so they pay the same as cars with zero emissions. That is, nothing.

YWNBU.

angelos02 Mon 02-Sep-13 13:01:28

Cyclists keep the roads less congested. Why they are so vilified I don't know.

ZeroTolerance Mon 02-Sep-13 13:10:00

Take it you've never been a motorist or a pedestrian then angel?

Waiting at a zebra crossing, I feel far more anxious if I see a bike approaching than a car.

Trills Mon 02-Sep-13 13:16:05

Cyclists have zero emissions, so they pay the same as cars with zero emissions. That is, nothing.

This.

Zero I'm both a pedestrian and a motorist. If I'm at a crossing and see a cyclist coming I wait until I know whether they're stopping or not, just the same as I do with cars.

twistyfeet Mon 02-Sep-13 13:20:51

yanbu.

ashleysilver Mon 02-Sep-13 13:27:35

YANBU but the myth of road tax is very persistent.

Cyclists shouldn't be allowed on the road? Then where are they supposed to go? Vanish in a puff of smoke? It is illegal to cycle on the pavement, and rightly so.

Nancy66 Mon 02-Sep-13 13:32:53

Many cyclists also own cars so the 'road tax' being talked about - I assume they mean the tax disc - will be being paid by cyclists too

Trills Mon 02-Sep-13 13:47:06

Some people drive like twats.
Some people ride bikes like twats.
Some people walk in a twattish manner.
Some people are twats - the mode of transportation they are currently using is largely irrelevant.

Sallyingforth Mon 02-Sep-13 14:08:07

Not this one again!

There is no such thing as "road tax".
It's vehicle excise duty and is not meant for financing roads any more that the excise duty on beer is spent on running breweries.

I will say however that all road users except pedestrians should be required to have insurance.

Llanbobl Mon 02-Sep-13 14:10:53

I do think all road users should be required to display some form of identification - cars have number pates why can't bikes? Some drivers are twats and so are some cyclists - Id might help find these people and educate them into being better road users.

I've witnessed numerous cyclists riding the wrong way in cycle lanes (on the road) or jumping lights which does irritate as surely they are road users too. Imagine the chaos if cars did this!

I also think all road users should have to have insurance, but appreciate that as many cyclists are children or young adults this would be difficult to handle.

YANBU though as VED is just another form of general taxation and not used for upkeep or development of new roads/infrastructure

angelos02 Mon 02-Sep-13 14:15:15

Some drivers use mobile phones, doesn't make them all buffoons. Don't tar all cyclists with the same brush.

twistyfeet Mon 02-Sep-13 14:16:01

'I've witnessed numerous cyclists riding the wrong way in cycle lanes (on the road) or jumping lights which does irritate as surely they are road users too. Imagine the chaos if cars did this!'

Red lights in this city generally mean 5 or 6 cars can go through. Is this not common across the entire UK?

Topseyt Mon 02-Sep-13 14:16:19

We are a two car family, as are many others. My husband is also a keen cyclist.

Plenty of vehicle excise duty paid in this household every year.

Many cyclists are also drivers. Some like to cycle to work when the weather allows, so pay plenty of tax that way too.

It's an emissions tax nowadays - low emitting cars pay zero tax too. So anyone bringing it up deserves a wet kipper across the chops.

melliebobs Mon 02-Sep-13 14:25:45

Lol trills. LOVE IT! That has tickled me

HoneyDragon Mon 02-Sep-13 14:27:30

Trills. I think you're onto something. Twat tax.

Glittertwins Mon 02-Sep-13 14:32:47

I think the French have it right with personal insurance cover for all.

We also have 2 cars, 1 of which is in the second highest bracket so we pay rather a lot of VED here.

Llanbobl Mon 02-Sep-13 14:39:21

Twistyfeet you are right - jumping lights does appear to be the norm regardless of mode of transport and damned annoying and dangerous it is too angry

Pan Mon 02-Sep-13 14:39:29

Given the points made that as the majority of adult cyclists who ride twice per week or more are also:
1. car owners and pay VED, and

2. pay income-based taxes to the Treasury part of which is road maintenance, then drivers, rather than verbally abusing and generally being unpleasant, should be showering us with flowers as we ride by out of appreciation for our subsidising their road repairs.

Glittertwins Mon 02-Sep-13 14:44:04

What I should have added in my last post is that both DH and ride our bikes a lot too. We are both respectful of cyclists on the roads in the same way we would appreciate cars to us.

I nearly got rear ended by a doddery idiot because I had slowed down due to being unable to pass a 2 cyclists going uphill and around a corner. No way was I going to pass them when I couldn't see around them - I would have run them off the road or hit the other car head on if I had done that. I waited until the lead cyclist waved me past, they knew what I was doing.

prettybird Mon 02-Sep-13 14:51:57

YANBU.

There are indeed unsafe cyclists but I've witnessed far more incidents where the driver has been (at best) ignorant (in the true sense of the word) of the cyclist or (at worst) positively aggressively dangerous towards him/her. There are also often cases (and I've had to do it myself) where the only safe option for the cyclist is to bend the Highway Code - eg stop ahead the solid line and wait for the green light because that is the only way, if you are going diagonally straight ahead, you're not at risk of cars turning left across you.

If we had an infrastructure that was truly bike friendly, then there would be no excuses for cyclists.

Re cycling on pavements, round where I am, the signs for "Shared Use" narrow hmm pavements are about 15 feet up on the lamp posts. I can see them when I'm driving - because I am looking at road conditions ahead - but a pedestrian would have to know they were there to notice them as they are way above eye level. I'm sure there are many pedestrians pissed off at cyclists getting in the way on "their" pavement along those routes sad. Personally, I cycle along the road on those routes (and encourage ds to do the same) rather than on the pavement as I think it is safer confused and quicker rather than being on the pavement trying to dodge the street furniture, uneven surfaces due to roots, overgrown hedges making the pavement still narrower - before even coming across any pedestrians! shock

NoComet Mon 02-Sep-13 14:56:33

Clearly cycle tax makes no sense at all. Many cyclists are children, some people like me get on a bike twice a year and others once a day.

However, I would love to price the local cycle club time trial off the road, they are a pain.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now