Note: Please bear in mind that whilst this topic does canvass opinions, it is not a fight club. You may disagree with other posters but we do ask you please to stick to our Talk Guidelines and to be civil. We don't allow personal attacks or troll-hunting. Do please report any. Thanks, MNHQ.

to find it hilarious that my daughter is ranked lowest in class for her accent by her language tutor?

(205 Posts)
WestieMamma Mon 02-Sep-13 10:33:18

She is outraged. I can't stop laughing. She's just started training to be an English teacher here in Sweden. Her tutor says she has the worst, least authentic accent in the class, despite being one of the only native English speakers grin.

The top ranked is the other native speaker. He's a geordie. Apparently the fact that none of the Swedes can understand a word he says doesn't matter, it's the fact that he's consistent grin.

lljkk Netherlands Wed 04-Sep-13 10:37:54

lol, I'm a native English speaker with like a million words published in English so my English skills should be fairly reasonable. But lots of times I don't understand spoken English from certain accents. I sometimes think I have a mild dose of that APD thing (Audio Processing Disorder).

Some Spanish-language accents I'm fine at & others throw me completely, too. It's all down to lack of practice, I suppose. hence why I think diversity is a Good thing.

I'm about to go to a pan-European conference in English and I will literally be the ONLY native English speaker there. That should be interesting! I make a huge effort in emails to not use idioms and sometimes actively pigeon up my words.

Thumbwitch Wed 04-Sep-13 11:26:18

I like the idea, Toys! grin

I do know British people who claim to be unable to understand other regional UK accents. I don't think it's just forriners who have trouble with it, it's sometimes people who CBA to listen, and sometimes people who can't cope with another accent at speed.

I have no problem coping with a broad Glaswegian accent, for e.g. - but plenty of my southern softie London friends reckon they can't understand it!

Thumbwitch Wed 04-Sep-13 11:27:20

Oops, should have read lljkk's post more closely before posting mine! Not heard of APD but I guess that might be what I was describing...

ToysRLuv Wed 04-Sep-13 14:19:03

Tehee, Thumb! Where shall we go? grin

I was very bad with my Chinese flatmate who had a tendency for talking in a Waybuloo kind of way.

ToysRLuv Wed 04-Sep-13 14:28:25

I felt really bad when I was working with youngsters and one of them (who I only talked to very occasionally) had a broad Glaswegian accent- I just could bot understand anything he was saying, however hard I tried. He wasn't in my group, luckily, because I was slightly terrified that he'd ask me something and then get annoyed because I asked him to repeat himself 20 times.. blush

I'm in a real melting pot of a city with a larger than usual proportion of English in Scotland. You tend to hear a range of accents, which are all fairly mild, so you never get to practice understanding the broad ones.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now