to listen to Jamie Oliver on Radio 4 and want to throw things...........

(1000 Posts)
catinabox Mon 02-Sep-13 10:06:40

He's not really doing himself any favours is he?

LRDMaguliYaPomochTebeSRaboti Mon 02-Sep-13 11:24:20

wanted - sorry, my point was meant to be, an awful lot of people who are going to feel targeted by this sort of stuff aren't people who don't work at all, but people who do, and still struggle for money. It's always the way when you start deciding there are 'deserving poor' and 'underserving poor', IMO.

sooperdooper Mon 02-Sep-13 11:25:27

I think a lot of what he's saying makes sense, peo

lottieandmia Mon 02-Sep-13 11:26:36

Oh I heard this too. His way of expressing himself is clumsy and he doesn't endear himself to anyone!

lottieandmia Mon 02-Sep-13 11:27:03

He needs a PR advisor

Nancy66 Mon 02-Sep-13 11:30:11

I think he endears himself to a lot of people.

it's also a complete myth that healthy food is time-consuming to prepare.

Tin of sardines on toast - how long does that take?

limitedperiodonly Mon 02-Sep-13 11:31:02

He doesn't lottie. His message goes down a treat with the people who buy his stuff and he knows it.

Faithless12 Mon 02-Sep-13 11:32:44

I'd hardly count sardines on toast as a 'healthy' meal and it's not one I'd eat nor would I give it to DS (fish bones?)

LifeofPo Mon 02-Sep-13 11:32:44

Message withdrawn at poster's request.

expatinscotland Mon 02-Sep-13 11:33:56

He's a rent a gob. Needs to shut up and good rather than flapping his chops at every turn.

Nancy66 Mon 02-Sep-13 11:35:44

Sardines are very healthy. It was just an example. There are dozens of meals that are quick, easy and healthy.

lottieandmia Mon 02-Sep-13 11:39:28

grin expat

Dawndonnaagain Mon 02-Sep-13 11:39:39

Sardines on toast are a quick healthy lunchtime/teatime meal, even tinned ones.
Personally, I think we need to go back to proper home economic lessons in school. My children have just moved into sixth form. Their home economics lessons went on until year three. They learnt to make scones. Four different ways. They learnt to make pizza base/pizzas. That was it. We regularly have baking days at home, and the amount of kids I have over that have never cooked anything from scratch is phenomenal. The saddest was last year, two kids over, one open mouthed in the kitchen as I cooked a fish pie, she had only had one from the microwave at home. The other watching out of the window where I'd sent ds to grab some potatoes from the garden. Didn't have a clue that potatoes came from the ground.

Lottapianos Mon 02-Sep-13 11:40:39

'There are dozens of meals that are quick, easy and healthy'

This is very true, although you do need some basic cooking skills in order to make them, which a lot of people don't have. It is shocking that there are adults in this country who have never learned to cook anything from scratch. I totally agree that basic cooking skills and an understanding of nutrition should be taught in schools, although saying that I'm aware that schools have ever more demands piled on top of them!

lottieandmia Mon 02-Sep-13 11:41:26

He admitted that people on low incomes could not afford his products - it all seems rather crass to me.

Nancy66 Mon 02-Sep-13 11:45:13

Lotta - yes, I agree with that.

I have a family member who works with young, single mothers and she says that most of them would not have a clue how to cook a baked potato.

Tingalingle Mon 02-Sep-13 11:46:24

Yakky, just a thought (I have two easy-feeders and a picky one): could you make a small shepherd's pie, but make burgers and potato wedges out of some of the mince and spuds -- exactly the same ingredients differently shaped?

I am the first to admit this doesn't work if you are spinning out the mince with lentils, carrots and random veg from the fridge drawer...

twistyfeet Mon 02-Sep-13 11:46:32

they cant afford his books either

Nancy66 Mon 02-Sep-13 11:48:00

They can watch the telly show though.

Mutley77 Mon 02-Sep-13 11:48:54

I use convenience food at least a coupe of times per week and also buy the kids the odd McD's (maybe once a month) - although I probably will stop that now I have heard the latest about what's in the burgers so can't plead ignorance!!

I feel generally quite lucky in terms of finances etc and at the moment I am at home full-time. But I have a newborn, no paid or other help (just re-located six months ago), and not much sleep. Therefore if my kids are happy and reasonably well nourished I have to leave it at that really - there are other things that are more important IMO - eg my sanity (kids won't be as well off if mummy is totally losing the plot rather than only slightly losing it!). I think money does have something to do with it as well as the cost of the food, you need to factor in the cost of the time - if you can pay someone else to help (not necessarily with the cooking) or afford to work less hours - it makes a big difference.

If my budget was unlimited, my baby was a bit older and more self-sufficient, and I had a cleaner etc I would love to buy and cook fresh lovely different meals all the time but I can't manage it.

I do make sure the kids have their five a day. Breakfast is always healthy cereal or toast (ocassionally) and fruit. I also do a reasonably healthy packed lunch for them - but do include a biscuit or popcorn. I try and make snacks healthy but they do have biscuits, icecreams etc as well.

Faithless12 Mon 02-Sep-13 11:49:04

I'm not disagreeing that there are loads of quick easy and healthy meals but I wouldn't count sardines on toast as one especially not for my family.
It's not got all the food groups for one. I suppose it depends on what you count as quick. For me 30 mins is quick enough and there are loads that you can do in 30 mins so long as you organise yourself

ExcuseTypos Mon 02-Sep-13 11:50:04

I agree with what you're saying, Lotta regarding people not having cooking skills. However almost everyone in the country has access to the Internet and/or a library.

I agree that not everyone is capable of learning how to cook on thier own, but A LOT are.

As nancy says sardines on toast/ with pasta and some veg is a healthy cheap meal. There are many other 'basic' cheap, healthy meals. I think JO is trying to say (badly) that people need to stop making excuses, that many people can decide to feed yourself and family healthier and cheaper. He's also said his book is not for people on a very very tight budget.

And I'll say again, not everyone is capable or able to learn to cook, but many are.

ExcuseTypos Mon 02-Sep-13 11:53:46

Mutely, yes things are a lot easier when you don't have a new baby, but I just want to point out that you don't need a cleaner in order to cook healthy meals for your family, you really don't. smile

Crowler Mon 02-Sep-13 11:54:14

His products are too expensive for most.

His recipes & ideas are accessible to many.

TheOriginalSteamingNit Mon 02-Sep-13 11:54:59

He was dreadful on Woman's Hour. I think that, um, I think that, um.... I was misquoted, but I spent loadsamoney on stuff for a school and they all had iPhones... And I like women, 'I've got loads of em'.

LifeofPo Mon 02-Sep-13 11:55:51

Message withdrawn at poster's request.

This thread is not accepting new messages.