Note: Please bear in mind that whilst this topic does canvass opinions, it is not a fight club. You may disagree with other posters but we do ask you please to stick to our Talk Guidelines and to be civil. We don't allow personal attacks or troll-hunting. Do please report any. Thanks, MNHQ.

To want my final wages when I was told I would have them?!?

(33 Posts)
NannyMcphee12 Sun 01-Sep-13 23:44:36

Was made redundant from my nannying job - was promised my last pay would be in my account today (1st of the month was my usual pay date)& it's not. I've tried calling 6 times & text 3 times asking where it is as I need it (bills come out tomorrow) I've had no response.

Starting to think I'm not going to get it - small claims court is calling I think

Stressing now as have no money sad

Why can't people pay up when they say they will??angryangryangryangry

Aibu by calling & texting asking for my money?

Would it be unreasonable to knock on the door & ask for it?

Souredstones Sun 01-Sep-13 23:45:28

It's Sunday. If may be stuck in transfer. Give it to Wednesday and then see what action needs taking.

Not UR at all! I'd be on their doorstep first thing if they haven't cleared tomorrow morning

NannyMcphee12 Sun 01-Sep-13 23:46:28

The 1st (my pay day) has fallen on a Sunday before & cleared that day with no issues

WafflyVersatile Sun 01-Sep-13 23:47:58

BACS is usually same day these days, Souredstones.

WafflyVersatile Sun 01-Sep-13 23:48:58

Phone them from a withheld number tomorrow. See if you get an answer.

NannyMcphee12 Sun 01-Sep-13 23:49:16

Only had problems when it was a bank holiday

Seriously could do without the stress right now

WafflyVersatile Sun 01-Sep-13 23:49:33

In the meantime can you go online now and arrange an overdraft so you don't get charges tomorrow?

NannyMcphee12 Sun 01-Sep-13 23:50:14

Waffly I've already tried that on the home phone, mum & dads bosses phones - made no difference

NannyMcphee12 Sun 01-Sep-13 23:51:42

Unfortunately my account can't have a planned overdraft - seemed wise 3 years ago when I set account up!

WafflyVersatile Sun 01-Sep-13 23:53:01

Very stressful. Hopefully it will appear tomorrow. If not include any charges in your claim.

McNewPants2013 Sun 01-Sep-13 23:54:03

Check your bank after midnight.

It could be a delay due to the bank holiday

NannyMcphee12 Sun 01-Sep-13 23:54:57

Too stressful - as if being made redundant and having a weeks notice isn't stressful enough

I'll most certainly be including any charges I get due to this - likely hood is she won't pay them

NannyMcphee12 Sun 01-Sep-13 23:56:13

McNew - that's my plan been checking every hour all day

Could the bank holiday really affect it nearly a week later

McNewPants2013 Mon 02-Sep-13 00:08:42

I think it does as its a day of banking needing to be caught up on.

Really hope it has been paid in for you

Ruprekt Mon 02-Sep-13 00:09:35

Nightmare!angryangry

Have you been able to find another job and did they give you a good reference?

NannyMcphee12 Mon 02-Sep-13 00:10:35

No money!!

No luck on job sad reference was ok once I got it!only took 3 weeks to get it

NannyMcphee12 Mon 02-Sep-13 09:16:15

Still no money

Managed to contact her and this is her excuse

'You know my new job is far away so my petrol usage has gone up therefore I can't afford to pay you until next pay day'

TakingTheStairs Mon 02-Sep-13 09:18:13

Wow, that is incredibly unfair to you.

Her petrol usage is not your problem.

drinkyourmilk Mon 02-Sep-13 09:19:29

Reply that you will therefore have no option but to seek legal action.
Her financial problems are not yours.

NannyMcphee12 Mon 02-Sep-13 09:21:23

I made it clear that ill be submitting the small claims court form online today & contacting citizens advice

forevergreek Mon 02-Sep-13 09:26:54

How comes only a weeks notice? Is that in contact? It's just most nanny contracts have 1-2 months notice. So if they want you to leave suddenly and not work the 2 months notice they still pay 2 months work as in any job

BoffinMum Mon 02-Sep-13 09:31:20

Go around there with a supportive but confident relative and say this is no good, you are experiencing serious financial problems as a consequence of her decision to postpone your final pay date, and that she is being very unreasonable. Tell her you would hate put in a Small Claims Court action online but you will be forced to do so unless she transfers the money she owes online to you immediately. Tell her you are happy to wait while she does that. If she slams the door in your face, tell the bank about your problems with her, and include any bank charges in the amount you are claiming for. Never have anything to do with this woman again.

BoffinMum Mon 02-Sep-13 09:33:04

It's her responsibility to pay, and if she genuinely and truly can't, she should have explained and offered you a partial payment to tide you over, not gone to ground.

NannyMcphee12 Mon 02-Sep-13 09:33:46

Only a weeks notice as I don't work school holidays - and she handed me my redundancy a week before I finished.

I'm not going round there as she'll spill a load of rubbish & won't do it.

Could do without this long fight - its affecting my health

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now