Note: Please bear in mind that whilst this topic does canvass opinions, it is not a fight club. You may disagree with other posters but we do ask you please to stick to our Talk Guidelines and to be civil. We don't allow personal attacks or troll-hunting. Do please report any. Thanks, MNHQ.

Homophobic comment - Ricky Gervais

(23 Posts)
TylerHopkins Sun 01-Sep-13 23:30:24

Is it just me or did Ricky Gervais actually make a homophobic comment?

Just watching 'The Inbetweeners Top Ten Moments' and it turns out Ricky Gervais knows the writers of The Inbetweeners, they're the first people he worked with in television. They used to rib one another quite a lot so Ricky said 'It's ok, I got my own back on them by naming two of the gay characters in Extras after them'

How is that getting them back?

NotYoMomma Sun 01-Sep-13 23:35:45

I think Morgan freemam had a tweet a while back along the lines of 'not liking the term homophobia, it's not a phobia, you are just an arsehole' grin

I hate RG anyway I just do not understand the hype.

mummymeister Sun 01-Sep-13 23:38:05

hes a washed up old has been trying to say something controversial so people will talk about him and here we are doing just that. he has to be the most unfunny man in the history of unfunny. I cannot stand him. when he comes on the tv/radio I deny him the oxygen of publicity and turn the thing off. hide this thread. no one likes him or finds his comments relevant any more.

HotPinkConverse Sun 01-Sep-13 23:47:29

Maybe it was just an extension of the ribbing in the sense of saying they are a couple together? Just seems likes a typical teenage boy thing (haha you two loooove each other) but extended into them being adults. Or I could be completely wrong and he thinks being gay is an insult :/

SomethingOnce Sun 01-Sep-13 23:51:39

Noooo, not Ricky - he always seems so PC shock

(If we all ignore him, he might just disappear.)

Growlithe Sun 01-Sep-13 23:54:07

I think it's amazing the way he has actually become David Brent. I used to think The Office was funny, that he was actually being clever. Now I think that perhaps he was like Brent in real life, people laughed at him, and he got on to it.

Unfortunately, that made it the only joke he had - and now he keeps making it. It's painful to watch.

Misspixietrix Sun 01-Sep-13 23:55:38

YNBU. But that's because I've never liked the arse him anyway ~

TylerHopkins Sun 01-Sep-13 23:56:10

I saw him live once, it was painful. Really forced, not funny at all.

CharityFunDay Sun 01-Sep-13 23:59:26

I think it probably was a homophobic comment, counched in po-mo "ironic" tones. I still remember the time that RG lost to Stephen Fry at poker and stalked off with the parting shot "At least I'm not gay!"

FWIW I think RG is as funny as anal herpes anyway.

Misspixietrix Mon 02-Sep-13 00:13:40

I can honestly say I have never watched the Office but was watching something he headlined at. Think it was a Diana Concert the Princes organised or something. I remember sitting through it trying to work out why people found him funny! ~

Misspixietrix Mon 02-Sep-13 00:14:53

Anal Herpes! grin

olidusUrsus Mon 02-Sep-13 00:25:15

This thread will do alright because hardly anyone on MN seems to like Ricky Gervais grin

JaneFonda Mon 02-Sep-13 01:04:57

I agree with HotPinkConverse - I think you're reading too much into it and taking it too seriously.

deadlift Mon 02-Sep-13 07:13:10

Is the idea that teenagers can make fun of two boys for loving each other not based in homophobia though? How on earth is that funny, unless you think there's something amusing about being gay?

MrsSchadenfreude Mon 02-Sep-13 07:25:42

He was funny in The Office, but was a bit of a one trick pony, with Extras essentially being The Office set somewhere else. Not funny at all any more.

ILetHimKeep20Quid Mon 02-Sep-13 07:30:10

He's a fucking moron

He is so smug!!! Can't stand him anymore. I used to think he was funny but totally believes his own hype.

Unfortunately I think we are a long way from these kind of stupid comments being said.

Catsize Mon 02-Sep-13 07:53:17

Yep, that is offensive. I love how far we have come though, that everyone so far agrees.

comingalongnicely Mon 02-Sep-13 08:44:19

I think you're overreacting to a degree. I don't find him funny as a person, some of his shows are OK though (Idiot Abroad).

I don't think it was a homophobic comment TBH. Oxford dictionary defines Homophobia as "an extreme and irrational aversion to homosexuality and homosexual people."

Was his comment extreme? Not Really.
Was it irrational? Not Really, if you're not gay you don't want to be labelled as gay.

If this is the only thing you can find to pull Ricky Gervais up on, you're not looking hard enough!

curlew Mon 02-Sep-13 08:47:52

We are talking about the guy who thought it was fine to use the word "mong".

Under the circumstances, yes, definitely homophobic.

curlew Mon 02-Sep-13 08:48:52

He's really interesting and thoughtful on the subject of atheism thought. Shame. I'd like to be able to hate everything about him........

FunnyLittleFrog Mon 02-Sep-13 08:50:47

He is an utter tit.

MaidOfStars Mon 02-Sep-13 11:42:46

How is that getting them back?
It's not. It's making about a joke about getting them back. In my opinion, he's taking the mick out of people who might actually believe that writing a character to be gay could ever be construed as a malicious act.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now