to tell my work colleague to shut it!?

(21 Posts)
Dubjackeen Mon 02-Sep-13 11:32:14

Smile sweetly, if she sticks her nose in again, and say 'oh, must remember that next time you want one of us to change, in order to cover for you'. It would annoy me, someone sticking their nose in, especially if it is nothing to do with them. I recommend the sweet smile, because if you retort sharply, suddenly, you are the bad guy, and she will say something like 'oh I was only joking, titter'.

FarelyKnuts Mon 02-Sep-13 11:18:31

Hope your DD is ok OP?

Misspixietrix Mon 02-Sep-13 09:42:23

Seasicksal "So she can fuck right of to the other side of fuckville". That. OP. Tell her exactly that grin

Icantstopeatinglol Mon 02-Sep-13 04:59:40

Thanks everyone, at least I know it's not just me thinking she's being an arse! It's been said a few times now but I don't like confrontation, especially at work which I think she knows. I think if I did say something she'd shit a brick so we'll see how it goes.
I'm currently sat watching dd as she has a temperature, desperately hoping she doesn't get too bad or I'll have to decide what to do for work!
Why do people think taking time off work using holidays/swapping days etc when kids are ill is a luxury?!? Its a pain in the arse! I worked full time for years and used to use my hols to go shopping etc with my spare cash.....yes it's all changed now but I have my beautiful kids so I don't care!
I wish people would just mind their own business.

FarelyKnuts Mon 02-Sep-13 00:15:53

Ah that stuff annoys the bollix off me. I reduced my hours to work a 4 day week, taking an equal reduction in pay to do so, an option which is available to all other bloody people in my organisation and yet there are constant "jokey" comments about enjoying my long weekends etc nearly every bloody week and how hard it is to work a 5 day week etc. Despite the fact that I quite often carry the same fecking caseload of clients they do and have to manage to get it all done it 4 days!!

LeoandBoosmum Mon 02-Sep-13 00:14:57

I think I'd have had to say something, personally. Just something along the lines of: I assume you're referring to me...If you have an issue I suggest you refer it to the boss! I hate passive aggressive crap!

mikkii Mon 02-Sep-13 00:07:48

I am in the fabulous position that I work full time, but can work from home if DC are sick or have someone coming, but usually DH can cover Mondays and Thursday and DM can do Tuesday and Wednesday. O I can often swerve it but, at the same time my boss knows I have class assemblies, teacher meetings, covering DM's doctor appointments etc and knows, that they get back what they give in spades (thanks Kw btw)

TylerHopkins Mon 02-Sep-13 00:03:33

She's jealous.

conkercon Mon 02-Sep-13 00:01:23

This sort of thing infuriates me. As has been said part timers are paid less, but when I worked part time I did not get paid overtime if I ended up working extra hours. All medical appointments were made on days I was off. I never had luxury of being able to leave something until next day so consequently never had the coffee breaks or lunch breaks my colleagues had.

All in all I find that work (not home life) is less stressful now that I am full time.

Icantstopeatinglol Sun 01-Sep-13 22:53:45

Ha ha leverette I'll definately have to use that! I might also have to bring the conversation up again when she's requesting cover from us smile

Leverette Sun 01-Sep-13 22:50:39

"You might want to check your face"
"What? Why?"
"It's just that there's a nose in my business"

grin I used this, it felt awesome

Icantstopeatinglol Sun 01-Sep-13 20:57:19

Yea I can see that point but she gets paid alot more than me as she is full time. I'd love to be on the money she is but can't at the minute so I'm skint alot but that's my choice. I just think there's pros and cons to both but why do people have to try and cause bad feelings?
If she's that bothered she can go part time? It's not all roses.....it's easier at work most the time! grin

tulipgrower Sun 01-Sep-13 20:51:40

Parttimers drive me crazy. They always seem to be off work or just leaving when I need them. But I wouldn't dare say anything, I'm a parttimer too. grin

I suppose her point is that full timers need to use their annual leave to cover inset days / hospital appointments etc, while part timers can change their days to accommodate these. I can see her point (although I am a PTer, so no personal axe to grind!)

Icantstopeatinglol Sun 01-Sep-13 20:30:48

To be fair seasick alot of colleagues (part timers included) cover late shifts for her but that's ok apparently.
Just wanted to vent really cos I don't want her to know she's annoyed me aarghhh!
...just like when I was little and wouldn't cry til I got in the house and shut the door!
God darn opinionated people (not that I'm one! wink)

Icantstopeatinglol Sun 01-Sep-13 20:27:28

It's hard cos I do like her but I don't understand why people have to voice their opinions when they know fine well it's only going to annoy people?

Scrounger Sun 01-Sep-13 20:25:24

Only if you work for the Sweeney.

But yes, it is between you and your boss esp if it doesn't impact on her.

SeaSickSal Sun 01-Sep-13 20:25:24

So. If she wants to have a day off and she needs cover and has to ask a part timer to swap a shift so they can cover and she can have the time off will she be bothered then about 'part timers swapping shifts'?

No she won't. So she can fuck right off to the other side of Fuckville.

He11y Sun 01-Sep-13 20:10:20

Tell her to speak to the boss if she has a problem with it.

UnicornsPooGlitter Sun 01-Sep-13 20:06:44

Just tell her that it's nothing to do with her, and that it's between you and your boss.

Icantstopeatinglol Sun 01-Sep-13 20:02:45

Just talking in passing recently with a few work colleagues about how I might have to take a day off if my dh couldn't look after our ds (inset day).
I've previously discussed this with my boss and he doesn't mind me changing days etc as long as I work my hours etc but my colleague piped up saying how she thinks its disgraceful part timers swapping days etc and it shouldn't be allowed. I didn't say anything and just ignored to be honest even though I nearly bit my tongue off but why do some people have to let people know what they disagree with so much when it's got nothing to do with them? By the way my work doesn't impact on her so it was just her mouthing off.
Why can't people just mind their own business? Not sure ill be able to bite my tongue next time.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now