Should I stop my 11 DD watching Family Guy and Russell Howard.

(61 Posts)
Jellybeanz1 Sun 01-Sep-13 11:29:24

During the summer holidays my daughter often sleeps in my bed as my DH works away half the week. I watch late night telly and she came in whilst I was watching these shows. At the beginning I turned it off when language or content was too outrageous however gradually the bar got pushed and now she's complaining when I don't let her watch. I told her we'd have to stop when she goes back to school but as it's on at the weekend she says IABU as loads from her class watch them. I feel am very bad M but cant cure my addiction either. Should I stop?

UsedToBeNDP Sun 29-Dec-13 21:37:47

I have an 11yo and wouldn't let her watch either

anotherrandomusername Sun 29-Dec-13 21:34:57

I don't understand why people think Family Guy is okay for kids. The same material, NOT spoken by animated characters would be deemed very offensive.

madmomma Sun 29-Dec-13 21:31:23

I think family guy is a bit much for a 11 yr old personally, but I have friends who always let their kids watch that and other adult comedy and they've turned out great so I wouldn't worry too much.

NurseRoscoe Sun 29-Dec-13 21:16:05

I think at 11 years old most children will be able to cope with a bit of bad language/sexual references. I would MUCH rather they heard it whilst watching TV with me where they can ask what it means and have me explain it to them than from other children at school then to get laughed at because they have do idea what's all about.

I know not everyone will agree & that's fine but I really don't think you can protect children from the world once they are at an age where they speak to other children/start to go places without their parents. I believe that some parents try to do this for their own sakes rather than their children's (because of what other parents will think or because they want their children to stay little/protect their innocence). Fitting in with friends is so important to a preteen and unless a film or something is really terrifying and graphic (such as insidious off the top of my head, that scared even me) then stopping them watching things or playing certain games is just a waste of time and unnecessary arguments/bad feeling. They will only do it at friends houses anyway.

Euphemia Sun 29-Dec-13 21:01:23

What do people reckon to 11 year-olds and Glee?

A lot of references to sex, but DD (11.6) has watched a few episodes and seems to have come away with really positive messages about how it doesn't matter who you are, if you like singing and dancing then you can do them and have fun. smile

KrabbyPatty Sun 29-Dec-13 20:51:27

I wouldn't want my 15 year old to watch it, let alone my 11 year old.

GuardofHull Sun 29-Dec-13 20:47:36

Slightly different perspective.

Firstly I do get the impression that your daughter may be acting as a quasi surrogate husband when your husband is away. Not sure whether that's good or bad but it is a factor in your dilemma. You have allowed her to assume non-child status in part of your relationship.

Anyone else spot the irony of those posters who used swear words when condemning your decision to allow her to see this material ?

Eleven years old - so secondary school at least on the horizon, first teenage hormones kicking in, dissecting frogs and worms to come in science class, a history syllabus that will be knee deep in gore at several stages, and if you think Family Guy is un PC you should check out the average playground.

I don't think you will have done much harm by letting her view this material. I've never heard of anyone blaming inappropriately early exposure to stand-up for their life going off the rails and this does sound like quality time.

Personally on a judgement call I'd say "not suitable", particularly Family Guy.

But I think I can comfort you by saying that you are likely to mess up as a parent in far worse ways than letting her watch inappropriate comedy shows.

S.x.

LeGavrOrf Tue 03-Sep-13 08:37:39

I like 'I still have the power'

That sounds great OP.

Pretty surprised that so many people would be happy for their 11 year olds to watch Family Guy. I think it's vile personally, and wouldn't like a child to think that some of the themes in it were funny. I moan like hell when my dd watches it, and she is 17.

Have never watched Russell Howard's show, be is bad enough in 5 minute snippets on Mock the week.

mrsjay Tue 03-Sep-13 08:34:43

hmm not sure about both really Family is hilarious but really adult as is RH who I also like I think \Russel howard has tried to be more edgier on his programme and i have started cringing instead of laughing .at it. It is really up to you but I wouldn't like an 11 year old watching either ,

Whereisegg Tue 03-Sep-13 08:29:26

I'm pleased you have stopped her watching these shows, and your life overhaul sounds great......
BUT letting an 11 year old tell you what you can and can't watch?
Sorry op, but fuck that!

ICantGoOverItICantGoUnderIt Tue 03-Sep-13 06:58:58

Good luck. smile

Jellybeanz1 Tue 03-Sep-13 02:54:32

Yes, thanks everyone who posted. I have decided to go cold Turkey as well after a few barneys with dd ( her rules, I have to give up Come dine with Me haha). Dh came home after week and half and we have decided to reset many rules; tv and computer time, more nutritious food etc. We spent yesterday playing happy families with books, board games and selected nature programmes. Wow - feeling nervously smug. it seemed easier than I thought, I still have the power well one day at a time, thanks all lets hope I can keep on top of it, back on the straight and narrow.. wink

ICantGoOverItICantGoUnderIt Mon 02-Sep-13 02:12:38

Sorry for double post.

ICantGoOverItICantGoUnderIt Mon 02-Sep-13 02:12:08

I'm glad you've decided no OP. There's plenty of time for her to watch stuff like this when she's older.

I think Family Guy throws a lot of people off because it's a cartoon and therefore people assume it must be aimed at children and young teenagers. It isn't. It is not just the fact that there is a lot of sex references, sexual and racial discrimination, homophobia, violence etc, I would be concerned that a child or young teenager would not appreciate the humour in the way it is intended to be taken. The producers are pointing out how stupid these people who hold these discriminatory attitudes are by portraying these notions humorously. I would be concerned a child would believe that holding these views is simply funny.

I know a 5yo who watches Family Guy.

ICantGoOverItICantGoUnderIt Mon 02-Sep-13 02:10:25

I'm glad you've decided no OP. There's plenty of time for her to watch stuff like this when she's older.

I think Family Guy throws a lot of people off because it's a cartoon and therefore people assume it must be aimed at children and young teenagers. It isn't. It is not just the fact that there is a lot of sex references, sexual and racial discrimination, homophobia, violence etc, I would be concerned that a child or young teenager would not appreciate the humour in the way it is intended to be taken. The producers are pointing out how stupid these people who hold these discriminatory attitudes are by portraying these notions humorously. I would be concerned a child would believe that holding these views is simply funny.

I know a 5yo who watches Family Guy. sad

LeoandBoosmum Mon 02-Sep-13 00:10:34

Russell Howard can be very blue...not appropriate for such a young mind. Don't know about FG as I don't watch it, never have so can't advise.

valiumredhead Mon 02-Sep-13 00:07:27

No to both of them, 12 year old.

aftermay Sun 01-Sep-13 23:56:06

DS 13 not allowed Family Guy. I'm afraid he watches Russell Howard.

soontobeburns Sun 01-Sep-13 23:50:37

I remember being 11 and my mum telling me I could watch anything but not eurotrash. Guess what I watched grin

I grew up watching adult programmes and have turned out fine.

NoComet Sun 01-Sep-13 23:47:24

I'm just confused by DCs who watch TV on a TV at the time it's on.

My two iPlayer or series record everything and watch it when they like.

Long ago DS1(now15) and I did have words about ask permission before watching post watershed TV on iPlayer, she just smiled innocently and said, "but mum iPlayer doesn't tell you when it was on"

Since they are both very sensible, but quietly devious, unstable TV is a battle I've decided not to have.

I'm as likely to catch DD1 watching history and science program's as the vampire diaries and DD2 is usually to be found on Utube watching gymnastics

StuntGirl Sun 01-Sep-13 23:45:55

Here you are 70s

youtu.be/W5SC64DpAEE

Jellybeanz1 Sun 01-Sep-13 23:39:12

Many thanks all, I think I'll just keep it for myself - another guilty pleasure.

StuntGirl Sun 01-Sep-13 23:38:54

I adore both.

I'm an adult.

Your child is not.

Of course it's not fucking suitable.

moodyblues Sun 01-Sep-13 23:37:15

I'm shocked any parent even needs to question whether family guy is appropriate for their 11 year old child.

Unbelievable.

YoungBritishPissArtist Sun 01-Sep-13 23:36:17

Never seen Russell Howard.

Haven't watched much FG, although seen enough to hear a rape joke hmm I don't think an 11 year old should be exposed to that.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now