If I order coffee with hot milk, aibu not to want

(56 Posts)
PasswordProtected Sun 01-Sep-13 07:23:37

half a mug full of "foam"? That is lukewarm at best?
And was I being even more unreasonable to spoon the offending foam out of the mug and onto the saucer?

CocktailSausage Mon 02-Sep-13 00:46:06

Latte = One shot of coffee topped with slightly frothy milk top. More milky in flavour.

Flat white = Double shot of coffee topped with a tight foamed milk top. Not frothy.

White Americano = Double shot of coffee plus hot water and hot milk.

Well this is what I was taught when I worked in hospitality.

ChippingInNeedsSleepAndCoffee Mon 02-Sep-13 02:04:22

Does anyone know if Starbucks & Costa have changed their coffee beans/processes lately?

I used to quite like them - but lately they seem to taste really weird, a bit 'chemically'?

It is hard to get a good coffee. I get a latte (most come as a double shot now), scorchingly hot with only 2/3 of the milk they'd usually use.

The success of that request varies.

M&S seem to think tepid is 'very hot' hmm

Nothing you get in the UK compares with - Flat whites in NZ, Cafe con leche in Spain & Cafe au lait in France. I'm home, home & home sick now sad whilst actually living in my country of birth confused

I need coffee, sleep & TRAVEL!

ZingWantsCake Mon 02-Sep-13 03:02:31

when it comes to coffee I'm like Sheldon Cooper PHD.
no one can get it right so number one reason for never buying one!

so maybe YABU for expecting it to be just right?

but YANBU if they got it wrong.
here, try this brew it's just the way you like it!wink
I also have cake

SmallTorch Mon 02-Sep-13 03:08:46

I asked for an espresso with hot milk on holiday, and got two drinks. The hot milk had a sprinkle of chocolate on top, and a straw! smile

berrycake Mon 02-Sep-13 05:25:38

I'm a barista, and trust me, I prefer it if customers just explain exactly what kind of drink they are looking for in layman's terms, rather than guessing off the menu and then bringing the drink back numerous times. I totally understand that all the Italian names of coffees are confusing if you're not 'in the know'.

kali110 Mon 02-Sep-13 10:48:36

Really think its because all the coffee shops do their drinks differently. I worked in one for ten years and was always explaining the different types of drinks for people to say thats not how blahblah do them

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now