AIBU to go and ask travellers to behave?

(147 Posts)

MNHQ have commented on this thread.

3MenAndMe Sat 31-Aug-13 07:53:20

This may be longish..........
So they've descended onto our playfield,neighbouring with my house yesterday,I couldn't believe my eyes when I saw loads of caravans 7.30 in the morning and I didn't hear a thing(the main gate is next to my house,window open and was waking few times to my 10 week old)..

The police and thr council was there at 10am and said that they are at the process of removing them,however they are still here.Personally, I have nothing against them,their lives must be really hard....
BUT......
- I can't take my LO for a walk in the pram(it feels really intimidating
-I can't walk my dogs without a lead anymore(they have couple of small dogs who chased mine yesterday,I have the feeling they are not vaccinated etc.)
-My older boys usedto play there with their mates,riding bikes and I just feel it is not safe anymore

BUT THE WORST is the noise (music in the car till 5am),constant souting,lack of respect towards residents,shitting everywhere and coming to my house at 9 pm asking for flipping lighter (or just checking who is in the house).

Sorry for the rant,I'm a bit sleep deprived and it makes my PND worse...

mrsfuzzy Tue 03-Sep-13 14:11:49

like anywhere is society there is a scummy element in their behaviur but the majority of people are ok, and i guess that is the case in the traveller community, sadly though the minority spoil it and give the majority a bad name.

mrsfuzzy Tue 03-Sep-13 14:06:38

there are plenty of nimbys in this thread but let's be honest who really wants them in their neighbourhood, and by the way at the risk of offending someone, why are they on the t.v with their weddings? i only know this as i've seen the ads, more to the point do people watch these programmes think they're great but complain about the illegal camps in real life? just curious

SubliminalMassaging Tue 03-Sep-13 14:01:21

Well perhaps now would be a great time to remind ourselves of the words of Martin Luther King.

'"I have a dream that my four children will one day live in a nation where they will not be judged by the colour of their skin but by the content of their character."

If I find anything to dislike in anyone it is NOT their ethnicity I object to but the content of their character. If it's good enough for Martin Luther King it's good enough for me.

BlingBang Tue 03-Sep-13 11:49:51

yes i think the majority can be small minded and will follow the general consensus. just seems to be a viscious circle with folk entrenched each side.

SubliminalMassaging Tue 03-Sep-13 11:45:21

And I wonder why they are perceived so poorly and why they are 'under attack' from all sides if they do nothing (on the whole) to deserve it? Are we all so small minded and so easily impressionable that we form our opinions based on absolutely nothing at all except a trumped up reputation? Or do you think some of us have had repeated negative experiences that form the basis of our opinions?

BlingBang Tue 03-Sep-13 10:22:03

Wonder though how much of this behaviour is a reaction to how they are perceived and treated by the general public. You only need to read a Mn thread on it and Mn is usually very tolerant and defensive on any kind or bad mouthing a minority. Can you imagine the level of vitriol and hate these folk from the majority population on a daily basis. Can understand why they might have a fuck you attitude as they are generally under attack from all sides.

And I did unusually lock my garage at night when they were staying near us recently so I'm not immune to the reputation they have.

AngryBeaver Tue 03-Sep-13 09:00:16

Dh is Irish. His town is regularly descended upon by travellers.
They cause no end of trouble, they intimidate, are violent, steal, leave a complete mess when they leave.

I know lots of stories but I'll give you just one of dh's.

As a teen he was working in a local shop.
A group of travellers came in. Lots of kids, the father/uncle and grandfather.

The kids started pulling things down from the shelves and stealing all the sweets, when he came out from behind the counter to stop them, the dad/uncles stole all the fags from behind the counter.

As he tried to reason with them, the grandfather swept out from the back room and summoned them all to leave.

When dh ran to the back room, all the takings were gone from the safe.

The towns people have experienced this for years and dread each visit.
Batten down the hatches time.

Mimishimi Tue 03-Sep-13 06:53:37

Hmmmm...

TheFallenNinja Tue 03-Sep-13 06:45:57

It's amazing how much bullshit gets defended in the name of cultural differences.

SubliminalMassaging Tue 03-Sep-13 05:51:23

I don't give a shiney shite how you think I sound. All this ' few bad apples' nonsense make me furious. What kind of proportion or percentage of a group of people as a whole do you think those 'bad apples' are supposed to represent? 1%? 5%? 10%?

In a population as small as the Irish Travellers just how have so many people had the same recurring experiences? Have we all been meeting the same ten percent?

musicismylife Tue 03-Sep-13 01:36:41

Subliminal, are you for real 'It's a shame your first experience with this specific ethnic minority' hmm

You sound vile and patronising.

I could give you 'first experiences' with the indigenous population if you would like that? hmm

LessMissAbs Tue 03-Sep-13 00:22:00

To be fair, if this is where I think it is, I've had abuse shouted at me by the local children using that recreation ground, and didn't get any abuse shouted at me tonight when I went past. It was nice and quiet actually.

Surely they are there for the events happening this week and with the weather getting colder, will be going back to their own homes soon enough.

AndThatsWhatIThinkOfYou Mon 02-Sep-13 23:56:49

subliminal - wish there was a 'like' button for your comments I agree.

The people who are so quick to defend them obviously have never had them set up camp near there house.

SubliminalMassaging Mon 02-Sep-13 17:48:12

Why would they Chanatan?

Think about it. Why on earth would they? No-one writes in the newspapers about me just going about my normal, unassuming, law abiding, tax paying life.

Chanatan Mon 02-Sep-13 17:17:21

How exactly have so many people had such bad experiences of what we're assured is the minority?
ever thought its because stories of hard working well behaved travellers dont sell newspapers or make good frothing on an internet forum.

ILetHimKeep20Quid Mon 02-Sep-13 16:16:51

How exactly have so many people had such bad experiences of what we're assured is the minority?

SubliminalMassaging Mon 02-Sep-13 15:28:11

So, it's not going well then? Yep, these minority bad apples in every community really are a PITA aren't they? What a shame your first experience close up and personal with this specific ethnic minority has been tainted by the presence of a rather inconvenient large number of 'bad apples.' Hey ho, better luck next time eh?

yellowballoons Mon 02-Sep-13 13:58:39

Crowler. I used to think that.
But I think the point is that travellers like to erm travel.
So I am not sure how many permanent sites they would actually want or like.

On another point, this thread is so littered with deletions that it is virtually unreadable, and doesnt make much sense.

3MenAndMe Mon 02-Sep-13 13:48:42

Just a bit of un update...
After 3 very stressful days and sleepless nights the person from the council finally arrived today just to say that they are dealing with that...Great, the same was said on Friday.....
She gave me her contact details and said"there was no trouble, was it?" Well, no apart from:
*racial abuse and threats "move you f****g n****a or I will slice you up and put in the back of my van" when my neighbour asked them to to be careful as they almost knocked his kid when racing through the park
*their children terrorising kids on the playground with stcks and stones
*indicent exposure and pissing in the middle of the playfield, where children and parents are playing
* their dogs trying to bite people passing
*constant noise shoutin, barking, beeping, cars in and out of the park, fighting at 3am, vomiting next to me house
* and piles of rubbish

quoteunquote Mon 02-Sep-13 12:04:46

Get the local council to have some portaloos put there to make sure there is somewhere for them to go to the loo, as a building contractor, my hire firm supply them at £25 a week, I expect the council will get a similar price, far less then a clean up,

I can't take my LO for a walk in the pram(it feels really intimidating

They won't be there long, just go in the other direction, for now.
-
I can't walk my dogs without a lead anymore(they have couple of small dogs who chased mine yesterday,I have the feeling they are not vaccinated etc.)

the vaccination bit will be fine if your dog is vaccinated, walk else where until they are gone.
-
My older boys usedto play there with their mates,riding bikes and I just feel it is not safe anymore

they will be gone soon,

Start going to all your council meetings, make sure they install security bollards, so the park can never be accessed by vehicles again.

It a shame on society we turn a blind eye to the children not being in education,

I have nothing against travellers, it would be foolish for me to as I know a lot as friends, employ a lot, new age, and use to live a different lifestyle myself.

I have had problems with some targeting my building sites, but like any group of people some are horrid and some are lovely.

Crowler Mon 02-Sep-13 11:40:16

Someone made an interesting point a while back about how all land now had owners, and that it's inherently unfair.

I'm a fairly law-and-order type of person but I am sympathetic to this view. There should be a way for people to travel around a bit without constantly falling afoul of zoning regulations.

That being said, it's bonkers that an entire community can plonk itself down in an empty site and this could be considered some kind of cultural tradition. That's effectively a locality carrying the infrastructure costs for another small group that may or may not heap abuse upon its settled residents.

comingalongnicely Mon 02-Sep-13 08:33:03

OK, let's agree that somewhere out there are traveller families that don't lay waste to all they touch & cause an unholy nuisance to other people.

They're nice & we don't have a problem with them.

The rest should be pursued with the full weight of the law, moved on to a locked, temporary site & made to come back & tidy as community service. When they've done that, they're then free to roam the land, free as birds once more....

It's social responsibility - you don't trash other peoples areas and then fuck off.....

SubliminalMassaging Mon 02-Sep-13 08:27:34

Many people within traveller communities do face large fines and charges for what they do

it's harder to collect money from those who have very little take Hahahahaaaa

but they have a higher rate of being jailed for their actions. The idea that people from traveller communities get away with everything has little basis.

Can you offer any evidence for this? Where did you get this piece of information? I agree that Travellers have a much higher rate of being jailed in general terms than members of the settled population, but are you saying that Travellers are more likely to be jailed for non-payment of taxes, debts or fines than settled people? Because you'll get another hollow laugh from me on that score.

Or are you talking about being 'jailed for their actions' encompassing all forms of crime? Again I'd have to question whether they are more likely to be jailed 'for their actions' than your average settled person or whether they are just more likely to get involved in actions that lead to jail. There is a distinct difference.

trice Sun 01-Sep-13 22:29:09

About 10 feet from our back fence a family pulled up with a caravan and set up camp. It was next to a busy footpath/bridal way which is used by dog walkers, joggers and cyclists.

The amount of abuse shouted at the family and the swearing was amazing. Groups of teens on bikes appeared with the sole object of getting into a confrontation with the "traveller" family. Perfectly normal looking joggers yelled at them to fuck off and die as they jogged past. Old ladies tutted and rang the council. The level of hatred and vitriol was amazing. The police visited them daily until they moved. It looked like a hell of a way to live.

SilverApples Sun 01-Sep-13 22:06:49

You mean a post Esme?
I had one zapped as well, and I have been trying to relate only first-hand experiences and stay away from generalisations. But obviously I failed in that particular post, and I can't remember what I said.
It happens.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now