AIBU to think that state schools should be achieving this?

(201 Posts)
KatyPutTheCuttleOn Sat 31-Aug-13 07:41:45

private schools GCSE results

Should state schools be able to achieve results closer to this?

I don't want this to be a private school bashing thread, but really, should state schools be able to achieve closer to this?

Kleinzeit Tue 03-Sep-13 08:49:28

Eeeeeowwwfftz asked Are private schools exempt from disability legislation?

Indeed they are not exempt, but disability legislation is not clear-cut – it’s all based on “reasonable adjustments” and what’s considered reasonable for a private school may not be quite the same as you’d expect in the state sector. Private schools aren't subject to the state's obligation to educate everybody somehow and after all, private schools can’t call on the same support that state schools can get from the LEA. I think things are slowly changing so that e.g. you might not have to pay for extra TA support if it’s due to a disability, but I’m not sure.

And realistically - say you have a child with behaviour problems due to a disability and a private school might decide to exclude them rather than support them - you might not want your child to be the one who fights the legal fight, not if there’s a decent state option available, because although the battle may benefit future generations your kid will have suffered even if you do win in the end.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now