Note: Please bear in mind that whilst this topic does canvass opinions, it is not a fight club. You may disagree with other posters but we do ask you please to stick to our Talk Guidelines and to be civil. We don't allow personal attacks or troll-hunting. Do please report any. Thanks, MNHQ.

aibu to wonder why we are doing nothing about syria

(280 Posts)
VicarInaTutu Fri 30-Aug-13 23:27:27

why are we doing nothing?
labour clearly sitting on the fence because of iraq as are the rest of the jittery gvt....

ive heard all the "its not our busniness" arguments - the same was said in WW2 until it was too late.

i cannot comprehend why we would advocate doing nothing - rwanda all over again.
m sickened tbh that people feel so able to wash their hands when people - children - are being napalmed and gassed.

what about what is morally right? forget politics - are we really just going to do nothing??
because its not us?

im not advocating another iraq war - but surely we cannot stand on the sidelines and watch this without doing anything?

cantspel Thu 05-Sep-13 11:31:11

Mimi the persection of jews started long before Kristallnacht so it wouldn't take a cystal ball to know that things were going to get a lot worse.

Hilter didn't come up with his final solution until 1941 until then he had all sorts of mad plans to annex them somewhere in africa. At one time he favoured using madagasca but as britian would have had to agree you can see why that option was dropped.

Your take on history is truely worrying.

rubymylove Thu 05-Sep-13 14:18:24

Not at all I'm actually stating that the u.s kill many innocent people so its two faced

fatdaddy72 Thu 05-Sep-13 15:52:22

TBH I don't think getting involved is going to cost the public - Defence budgets are set and already paid from our taxes. I do think that MP's are being a bit spineless and covering their backs after the Iraq WMD debacle. I don't think their vote does actually cover the opinion of the public though - 600 people voting on behalf of what 70+ million people?

The UN is no more use than the league of nations was pre WW2. As long as countries have a Veto it's quite an impotent organization.Russia even Veto a statement for gods sake.

Of course we could also find out that it was one of the rebel groups who used it in an attempt to force the US into taking sides. One thing for sure is someone has a lot of blood on their hands for using these weapons and I hope they die a very slow and painful death.

Abra1d Thu 05-Sep-13 16:32:41

I think the opinion polls show that two-thirds of so of the British public do not want to get involved in armed conflict in Syria.

Thankfully there are not yet 70m of us, or we'd be falling off Beachy Head.

Abra1d Thu 05-Sep-13 16:34:42

Slightly less- 58%:

'Seventy-seven per cent of people . . . believed intervention in the war-torn country would encourage attacks against the UK.

The Ipsos MORI poll found 58 per cent regarded the two-year conflict as ‘none of our business’ but a near-majority was nevertheless dissatisfied with the handling of last week’s Commons vote on the issue by David Cameron (64 per cent) and Ed Miliband (61 per cent).'

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now