to not understand why some mothers don't bother getting sunshades for baby's pushchair?

(62 Posts)
happydazy1 Fri 30-Aug-13 21:05:57

All summer I have seen mum's striding along (often with sunglasses themselves) and their poor dc with their heads turned to one side or even hands in front of face desperately trying to avoid the sun's glare. Some of the babies are even in rearfacing pushchairs still so the mums must know that the sun is in their dc's eyes.

Even if they can't afford a proper sunshade I don't know why they don't get a muslin and clothes pegs to try and improvise something.

Squitten Fri 30-Aug-13 21:08:25

If it was me you saw, you probably didn't see the bit where any kind of cover makes my toddler go utterly mental. He HATES them and sits happily getting soaked to his skin in torrential rain rather than put a shield on.

He couldn't give a sod about the weather!

jkklpu Fri 30-Aug-13 21:08:43

Why only the mothers?
What about hats?

ShatnersBassoon Fri 30-Aug-13 21:09:57

Sometimes you forget to take it with you. A few minutes in direct sunlight doesn't cause lasting damage.

ah yes always the mothers fault if its anything to do with babies....

No sunshade here because they involve rotating every time I turn a corner. I have a phil and teds so can adjust the hood. Or if I use the umbrella pushchair with a crappy hood, I stick a hat on for shade

mollycuddles Fri 30-Aug-13 21:11:22

I live in Ireland. Highly unlikely to be ever needed

hettienne Fri 30-Aug-13 21:11:24

I don't think it matters very much.

StephenFrySaidSo Fri 30-Aug-13 21:11:49

maybe all the dads were off buying them when you saw them?

I hate parasols with a passion, they're useless and it may just be me but they never do much as the minute you change direction the sun is in baby's face again!

So this year I've used a floaty long scarf tied to the hood. Worked a treat.

ShatnersBassoon Fri 30-Aug-13 21:13:07

On second thoughts, all these mothers are feckless idiots who want their children to be uncomfortable. Do you agree op?

MsPickle Fri 30-Aug-13 21:14:12

Because having to shut eyes often makes dd go to sleep faster. I'd be useless with a parasol, stopping to adjust it would drive me bonkers. I do have an extra sun hood but you might not notice it.

Ds shared the hatred of all things cover. Mine generally keep hats on though and always have cream on when required.

jacks365 Fri 30-Aug-13 21:14:54

You missed the fact that my dd is completely coated in sunblock and wears a hat. If I use the parasol she grabs it and bends and breaks it. I do ensure if we have a long straight walk that she faces away from the sun (pushchair faces either way and easy to change) but not worth doing if wandering around shops etc.

ENormaSnob Fri 30-Aug-13 21:15:20

Parasols are useless.

I use muslin clothes and pegs.

Looks a state but does the job.

TunipTheUnconquerable Fri 30-Aug-13 21:16:14

I used mine once and realised it was as much use as a chocolate teapot because of the turning corners issue referred to above.
I therefore conclude it is because said mothers are more sensible than I was. Also, clothes, hats and the English climate.

onlysettleforbutterflies Fri 30-Aug-13 21:16:37

I had a sun parasol and used it once, I hated it. Every time my route bent slightly I would then have to spend 5 minutes fiddling about to get it in the right position again. A hat worked perfectly well. I am not very patient though.

dizzy77 Fri 30-Aug-13 21:17:18

Parasols are pants. Toddler DS1 is laminated in factor 50 before most pram outings on sunny days. Teeny tiny DS2 is swathed in muslin/peg combos.

happydazy1 Fri 30-Aug-13 21:20:09

I wasn't thinking toddlers so much (I know they can be difficult) but often quite young babies. They don't have hats on either. Not many dads with pushchairs during the day where I live.

It just seems a bit mean, sometimes the sun is really bright, and like I said these mum's invariably have sunglasses for themselves.

StephenFrySaidSo Fri 30-Aug-13 21:23:03

I told you- the dads are all off buying the parasols wink

you're right it's mean, but it's so much fun watching them wrinkle their little faces up and turn away from the sun and us mum's deserve a bit of entertainment you know. hmm

noblegiraffe Fri 30-Aug-13 21:26:39

I bought a parasol, wouldn't bloody fit on my buggy angry
I did the muslin thing. Or occasionally walk funny to put baby in my shadow.

Lonecatwithkitten Fri 30-Aug-13 21:28:06

Now you see I just don't get the whole muslin over the front thing? Spent time in South Africa when DD was 15mths sunscreen and sun hat. Mind you she would have pulled anything off and yelled 'it's mine now' as she did with any sunshade we dared to put in the back of the car.
It rained the entire summer before she was 1.

Pigsmummy Fri 30-Aug-13 21:31:22

Parasols are pure shite unless you use them rolled up like a jousting pole

LittleBlackDress Fri 30-Aug-13 21:32:50

Vitamin D. It's not all bad y'know. There are threads on here criticising mums who put blankets / muslins over the pram - clearly people think these mums are deliberately trying to harm their children by not allowing them enough sunlight. Damned if you do, damned if you don't!!

noblegiraffe Fri 30-Aug-13 21:33:32

My newborn's skin was too sensitive for sun cream. She came out in spots even with the really sensitive stuff. So shade it was.

AnneUulmelmahay Fri 30-Aug-13 21:33:36

But but but sun in eyes = baby closes eyes, ta dah! Asleep. Job done.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now