To think size 12 is not "heavy"

(731 Posts)
CruCru Fri 30-Aug-13 18:51:24

I keep seeing comments on here from people who are size 10/12 who think they are heavy. I would never think this is even remotely heavy, just a healthy slim size.

SunshineMMum Mon 02-Sep-13 18:53:53

Message withdrawn at poster's request.

specialsubject Mon 02-Sep-13 18:52:56

dress sizes are not standard, and do change due to stupid vanity sizing, but generally someone fat won't fit into a size 12.

I should be about 11.5 stone at my height (bit over at the moment). Compared to a short thin person, that is heavy. For me, that is just right. Don't usually fit into size 12 tops though due to broad shoulders.

SunshineMMum Mon 02-Sep-13 18:49:32

Sirzy Mon 02-Sep-13 18:40:26

I think it depends on your build and size.

I have slimmed from a size 20 to a size 14 and I am still classed as obese going off BMI, by the time I get to a size 12 I will probably still be classed as at least overweight in medical terms but I will be over the moon the day size 12 fits

midlandslurker Mon 02-Sep-13 18:34:41

I'm 5'4 and a "vanity" size 10 and far from "skinny" yet I regularly get comments from colleagues/friends saying how slim/skinny i am.

Clearing out my mums house,we found her wedding dress (from 1955) the waist was tiny and i honestly cannot think of anybody who'd fit in it,yet looking at photo's she was of average build.

I'm not massive but could easily loose quite a few lbs and still not be at the lower end of a healthy BMI.

My BMI is about 23.5 yet I've still had comments from (overweight) people commenting that life is "too short to diet/exercise" and that I must somehow be obsessed with my weight, just because I'm careful to make sure I burn as many calories that I consume !!

Mind you all the comments come from people who are overweight.................

Unless they are of extremely "large build" most teen age
girls would be classed as fat if a size 12 and its little wonder that todays teenagers are the first generation that are expected to die before their parents.

amothersplaceisinthewrong Mon 02-Sep-13 18:32:48

If you are four foot nothing and a size 12 you would be fat most probably, whereas if you are six foot you would be very slim

I am five foot seven, aged 53 and slimmed down from 12 stone and size 14 to small 16 to 9 stone 4 and size 10 which was my wedding day weight and have maintained it. Feel much better, although it was slow going due I assume to my age.

SunshineMMum Mon 02-Sep-13 18:29:17

theoriginalandbestrookie Mon 02-Sep-13 18:26:32

I liked the philosphical edge sunshine - added some depth to the discussion grin.

SunshineMMum Mon 02-Sep-13 17:56:48

RussiansOnTheSpree Mon 02-Sep-13 17:52:41

I've had to stop doing pump because of my dodgy shoulder (I was in a car crash). I'd like to go back to it when my shoulder is in better nick - it's almost ready now, probably - but my new schedule suits everyone else much better. So, maybe not.

SunshineMMum Mon 02-Sep-13 17:51:42

Talkinpeace Mon 02-Sep-13 17:48:35

I had a full body scan done a couple of years back as part of a medical study and my bones are in great shape (equivalent to 8 years younger than I am) - and my joints are better for not carrying the 36lb extra they used to.
BodyPump is excellent for bone density - but my weights are lighter than Kato manages!

SunshineMMum Mon 02-Sep-13 17:48:32

RussiansOnTheSpree Mon 02-Sep-13 17:46:02

Some of what ladies? I've been the same size (apart from pregnancy) all my adult life. I am 20 years down the line (and the rest sad ). And I'm fine. My bones do not appear to have collapsed before me.

SunshineMMum Mon 02-Sep-13 17:42:15

RussiansOnTheSpree Mon 02-Sep-13 17:36:11

I've got plenty of VaVaVoom Sunshine. Too much, to be honest. It's a burden.

KatoPotato Mon 02-Sep-13 17:35:15

VaVaVoom? seriously? I'm off to Body Pump now, so if my size 12s get too big then I've got no Voom?

Talkinpeace Mon 02-Sep-13 17:30:31

bestrookie
it is absolutely true that one can be fat and fit : some people will always be big even if they eat diddly squat and those people can be extremely fit and athletic while being round
- a chap at my gym is exactly like that - round but a demon tennis player / swimmer / squash player
BUT
most people who are overweight are NOT fit
because if they were fit, most of them would no longer be fat.

SunshineMMum Mon 02-Sep-13 17:30:30

RussiansOnTheSpree Mon 02-Sep-13 17:27:07

The original premise of this thread was the question is a size 12, or could a size 12 be, 'heavy'. There was no mention of health. Rightly so since the term heavy is not synonymous with being unhealthy.

theoriginalandbestrookie Mon 02-Sep-13 17:19:31

We may have moved on to other subjects, but this article (sorry its the DM) shows that health is not necessarily linked to weight www.dailymail.co.uk/health/article-2406651/Healthy-obesity-exists-say-scientists-physical-fitness-important-BMI.html

RussiansOnTheSpree Mon 02-Sep-13 16:51:00

They deleted the witchy disgracey Miley Cyrus post! I can guess why obviously. But it makes our subsequent posts look most odd!

Pinupgirl Mon 02-Sep-13 16:46:13

I am reporting that post talkin-I am not a troll or a sock puppet. I am a long standing poster.

Talkinpeace Mon 02-Sep-13 16:34:26

Message deleted by Mumsnet for breaking our Talk Guidelines. Replies may also be deleted.

Pinupgirl Mon 02-Sep-13 16:31:55

RTFT moomantrix-I have never called you anorexic-I don't even know you and frankly don't even care.

In my posts I made it abundantly clear that it is irrelevant to me wether posters are very slim or very fat. I was making a point about how it is possible to be happy,confident and healthy while being a bit over weight.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now