To think size 12 is not "heavy"

(731 Posts)
CruCru Fri 30-Aug-13 18:51:24

I keep seeing comments on here from people who are size 10/12 who think they are heavy. I would never think this is even remotely heavy, just a healthy slim size.

SunshineMMum Mon 02-Sep-13 18:53:53

Exactly Sirzy if the bar is set as low as a size 10 for us all, we'd have to learn to limbo!

specialsubject Mon 02-Sep-13 18:52:56

dress sizes are not standard, and do change due to stupid vanity sizing, but generally someone fat won't fit into a size 12.

I should be about 11.5 stone at my height (bit over at the moment). Compared to a short thin person, that is heavy. For me, that is just right. Don't usually fit into size 12 tops though due to broad shoulders.

SunshineMMum Mon 02-Sep-13 18:49:32

I wonder that Midland's but I reckon that they wore girdles or something in the 50's as Mum weight more than me, but had a smaller waist on her wedding day.

Sirzy Mon 02-Sep-13 18:40:26

I think it depends on your build and size.

I have slimmed from a size 20 to a size 14 and I am still classed as obese going off BMI, by the time I get to a size 12 I will probably still be classed as at least overweight in medical terms but I will be over the moon the day size 12 fits

midlandslurker Mon 02-Sep-13 18:34:41

I'm 5'4 and a "vanity" size 10 and far from "skinny" yet I regularly get comments from colleagues/friends saying how slim/skinny i am.

Clearing out my mums house,we found her wedding dress (from 1955) the waist was tiny and i honestly cannot think of anybody who'd fit in it,yet looking at photo's she was of average build.

I'm not massive but could easily loose quite a few lbs and still not be at the lower end of a healthy BMI.

My BMI is about 23.5 yet I've still had comments from (overweight) people commenting that life is "too short to diet/exercise" and that I must somehow be obsessed with my weight, just because I'm careful to make sure I burn as many calories that I consume !!

Mind you all the comments come from people who are overweight.................

Unless they are of extremely "large build" most teen age
girls would be classed as fat if a size 12 and its little wonder that todays teenagers are the first generation that are expected to die before their parents.

amothersplaceisinthewrong Mon 02-Sep-13 18:32:48

If you are four foot nothing and a size 12 you would be fat most probably, whereas if you are six foot you would be very slim

I am five foot seven, aged 53 and slimmed down from 12 stone and size 14 to small 16 to 9 stone 4 and size 10 which was my wedding day weight and have maintained it. Feel much better, although it was slow going due I assume to my age.

SunshineMMum Mon 02-Sep-13 18:29:17

I thought so grin

theoriginalandbestrookie Mon 02-Sep-13 18:26:32

I liked the philosphical edge sunshine - added some depth to the discussion grin.

SunshineMMum Mon 02-Sep-13 17:56:48

Sorry I just threw a philosopher in there 'Plateau' (It's been a long day)

RussiansOnTheSpree Mon 02-Sep-13 17:52:41

I've had to stop doing pump because of my dodgy shoulder (I was in a car crash). I'd like to go back to it when my shoulder is in better nick - it's almost ready now, probably - but my new schedule suits everyone else much better. So, maybe not.

SunshineMMum Mon 02-Sep-13 17:51:42

I absolutely agree about exercise, I used to be able to work out at the gym and was extremely fit. There were circumstances that prevented that, but I would absolutely love to feel that degree of wellness again. BUT, even if I did, and I have a plan in place, I am pretty certain a size twelve would be my plato and I'd be very pleased to reach it. Even at 5ft odd.

Talkinpeace Mon 02-Sep-13 17:48:35

I had a full body scan done a couple of years back as part of a medical study and my bones are in great shape (equivalent to 8 years younger than I am) - and my joints are better for not carrying the 36lb extra they used to.
BodyPump is excellent for bone density - but my weights are lighter than Kato manages!

SunshineMMum Mon 02-Sep-13 17:48:32

That is why I said some. I know for a fact my perception of women and body image has changed over time.

RussiansOnTheSpree Mon 02-Sep-13 17:46:02

Some of what ladies? I've been the same size (apart from pregnancy) all my adult life. I am 20 years down the line (and the rest sad ). And I'm fine. My bones do not appear to have collapsed before me.

SunshineMMum Mon 02-Sep-13 17:42:15

grin To be honest Russian, I felt at my most fabulous as a size 12 and wouldn't ever want to drop below that clothes size to be the size 6/8 of my youth. I couldn't get a decent dress to fit or hang well and had to shop at the kids department for my going away outfit. I do wonder what the perception of weight will be for some of these ladies twenty or even ten years down the line. As others have said it is about fitness, wellbeing and ensuring that your bones, will not collapse before you.

RussiansOnTheSpree Mon 02-Sep-13 17:36:11

I've got plenty of VaVaVoom Sunshine. Too much, to be honest. It's a burden.

KatoPotato Mon 02-Sep-13 17:35:15

VaVaVoom? seriously? I'm off to Body Pump now, so if my size 12s get too big then I've got no Voom?

Talkinpeace Mon 02-Sep-13 17:30:31

bestrookie
it is absolutely true that one can be fat and fit : some people will always be big even if they eat diddly squat and those people can be extremely fit and athletic while being round
- a chap at my gym is exactly like that - round but a demon tennis player / swimmer / squash player
BUT
most people who are overweight are NOT fit
because if they were fit, most of them would no longer be fat.

SunshineMMum Mon 02-Sep-13 17:30:30

I reckon we should have an exclusive Ladies who have va va voom thread. Size 12 and over only! You can be skinny and chic, glamorous, but sorry you just don't have the Voom! wink

RussiansOnTheSpree Mon 02-Sep-13 17:27:07

The original premise of this thread was the question is a size 12, or could a size 12 be, 'heavy'. There was no mention of health. Rightly so since the term heavy is not synonymous with being unhealthy.

theoriginalandbestrookie Mon 02-Sep-13 17:19:31

We may have moved on to other subjects, but this article (sorry its the DM) shows that health is not necessarily linked to weight www.dailymail.co.uk/health/article-2406651/Healthy-obesity-exists-say-scientists-physical-fitness-important-BMI.html

RussiansOnTheSpree Mon 02-Sep-13 16:51:00

They deleted the witchy disgracey Miley Cyrus post! I can guess why obviously. But it makes our subsequent posts look most odd!

Pinupgirl Mon 02-Sep-13 16:46:13

I am reporting that post talkin-I am not a troll or a sock puppet. I am a long standing poster.

Talkinpeace Mon 02-Sep-13 16:34:26

Message deleted by Mumsnet for breaking our Talk Guidelines. Replies may also be deleted.

Pinupgirl Mon 02-Sep-13 16:31:55

RTFT moomantrix-I have never called you anorexic-I don't even know you and frankly don't even care.

In my posts I made it abundantly clear that it is irrelevant to me wether posters are very slim or very fat. I was making a point about how it is possible to be happy,confident and healthy while being a bit over weight.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now