Note: Please bear in mind that whilst this topic does canvass opinions, it is not a fight club. You may disagree with other posters but we do ask you please to stick to our Talk Guidelines and to be civil. We don't allow personal attacks or troll-hunting. Do please report any. Thanks, MNHQ.

To think size 12 is not "heavy"

(731 Posts)
CruCru Fri 30-Aug-13 18:51:24

I keep seeing comments on here from people who are size 10/12 who think they are heavy. I would never think this is even remotely heavy, just a healthy slim size.

amothersplaceisinthewrong Mon 02-Sep-13 18:32:48

If you are four foot nothing and a size 12 you would be fat most probably, whereas if you are six foot you would be very slim

I am five foot seven, aged 53 and slimmed down from 12 stone and size 14 to small 16 to 9 stone 4 and size 10 which was my wedding day weight and have maintained it. Feel much better, although it was slow going due I assume to my age.

midlandslurker Mon 02-Sep-13 18:34:41

I'm 5'4 and a "vanity" size 10 and far from "skinny" yet I regularly get comments from colleagues/friends saying how slim/skinny i am.

Clearing out my mums house,we found her wedding dress (from 1955) the waist was tiny and i honestly cannot think of anybody who'd fit in it,yet looking at photo's she was of average build.

I'm not massive but could easily loose quite a few lbs and still not be at the lower end of a healthy BMI.

My BMI is about 23.5 yet I've still had comments from (overweight) people commenting that life is "too short to diet/exercise" and that I must somehow be obsessed with my weight, just because I'm careful to make sure I burn as many calories that I consume !!

Mind you all the comments come from people who are overweight.................

Unless they are of extremely "large build" most teen age
girls would be classed as fat if a size 12 and its little wonder that todays teenagers are the first generation that are expected to die before their parents.

Sirzy Mon 02-Sep-13 18:40:26

I think it depends on your build and size.

I have slimmed from a size 20 to a size 14 and I am still classed as obese going off BMI, by the time I get to a size 12 I will probably still be classed as at least overweight in medical terms but I will be over the moon the day size 12 fits

SunshineMMum Mon 02-Sep-13 18:49:32

I wonder that Midland's but I reckon that they wore girdles or something in the 50's as Mum weight more than me, but had a smaller waist on her wedding day.

specialsubject Mon 02-Sep-13 18:52:56

dress sizes are not standard, and do change due to stupid vanity sizing, but generally someone fat won't fit into a size 12.

I should be about 11.5 stone at my height (bit over at the moment). Compared to a short thin person, that is heavy. For me, that is just right. Don't usually fit into size 12 tops though due to broad shoulders.

SunshineMMum Mon 02-Sep-13 18:53:53

Exactly Sirzy if the bar is set as low as a size 10 for us all, we'd have to learn to limbo!

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now