To think size 12 is not "heavy"

(731 Posts)
CruCru Fri 30-Aug-13 18:51:24

I keep seeing comments on here from people who are size 10/12 who think they are heavy. I would never think this is even remotely heavy, just a healthy slim size.

twistyfeet Fri 30-Aug-13 19:26:57

surely sizes are widths? I'm 5'10 and a 10/12 with a BMI of 19 and look gaunt (ive been unwell).
Buggered if I understand sizing. I've have wide shoulders though. And teeny peas for boobs sad

Talkinpeace Fri 30-Aug-13 19:27:14

UK Clothes sizes are utterly meaningless nowadays
I'm anything between a 1970's size 12 and a Sainsburys size 6

The only true test is a tape measure and a set of scales

check here
www.youtube.com/watch?v=fsHk9WC7fnQ

if your waist is more than half your height you are carrying excess fat around your vital organs

Crowler Fri 30-Aug-13 19:28:04

As has been said, it's all relative.

I live in a kind of mumsy section of West London and I don't feel hugely fat, although I'd love to lose 10 pounds. If I head one mile east to Chelsea I feel hideously fat.

I had an errand to deal with at the Chanel boutique in Brompton Cross yesterday and I felt obese.

Dalaimama Fri 30-Aug-13 19:29:11

I'm wearing a size 10 pair of jeans at the moment. I am 5' 9" and need to shift about a stone or more. The thing is - they are jeans from Next - vanity sizing at its finest - I can't get a size 12 oasis jeans past my knees. so I guess it depends on the shop!

GibberTheMonkey Fri 30-Aug-13 19:29:27

I'm not overweight at a 12/14
The 14 is to allow for wide hips. I'm somewhere between 5ft 10 and 5ft 11 though. I don't think anyone would call me fat or heavy.

it's very difficult to compare people what with varying factors of height, fitness and natural build

GibberTheMonkey Fri 30-Aug-13 19:30:46

Talkin that's someone's memorial service thanks

Talkinpeace Fri 30-Aug-13 19:31:19

AAAAGGHH wrong link from different thread !!
www.modelmydiet.com/

right link

Talkinpeace Fri 30-Aug-13 19:32:09

PS the "wrong link" was Graham Chapman's memorial service - one of the best videos to uplift the soul on a Friday evening that there is (seriously)

LifeofPo Fri 30-Aug-13 19:33:01

Message withdrawn at poster's request.

GibberTheMonkey Fri 30-Aug-13 19:36:45

Talkin- well that's cast rather a gloom over the evening, hasn't it wink

Poppyhat Fri 30-Aug-13 19:36:47

If I at 5ft 2 and size 12 went shopping with my 6ft size 12 friend ,and both chose the same dress? The only difference would be the length of it on us.... A 12 is a 12 regardless of height or weight.
Of course we won't weigh the same,she is almost a foot taller than me.but we measure the same waist/chest/thigh.

mysteryfairy Fri 30-Aug-13 19:36:54

There is a test that says your waist circumference should be no more than half of your height for you to be healthy:
article here

I personally think I would look extremely hefty if mine was (5ft 10 and waist is 25 but could healthily be upto 35 using that measure!) but it illustrates that tall people can have proportionately bigger dimensions than shorter women and still be healthy.

SorrelForbes Fri 30-Aug-13 19:38:44

I'M 5'4" and have clothes in my wardrobe that range from a size 8 to a size 12. In most shops I'm a 10 or a 12. I don't weigh myself but my measurements are 38/28/40. If ordering on-line I never fit the size that relates to my measurements, it's always too big. Odd.

tanukiton Fri 30-Aug-13 19:38:53

5"9 bit of tummy lard when size 12. Size 10 is more toned and less cake. I do think the uk is getting fatter. I come back each year and see more and more obese people.

dufflefluffle Fri 30-Aug-13 19:40:35

I'm 5ft 7 and a size 12 and I could stand to lose a stone - and I am not body image obsessed

AmberDextrous Fri 30-Aug-13 19:41:08

I'm 5ft 6 & a half and about 10 stone I am a 10-12 dress size people always comment on me looking slim though i am not sure and am over critical of myself. i think a lot of is to do with posture & good clothes really. In my twenties I was an 8 and for the time & the skimpy outfits it was great fun smile

hettienne Fri 30-Aug-13 19:41:16

Poppy, but a short person of x waist might be fat, while a tall person of x waist would be skinny.

marriedinwhiteisback Fri 30-Aug-13 19:44:13

Or looked at another way. When I was a size 8 and thought I was fat I was actually anorexic. Now I'm a size 14 and a recovered anorexic I know I'm slightly too fat but I am more rational now and find it easier to accept myself as I am. 7st 8lb then, 11st, 7lb now. I know which is better for me. 5'6" btw.

UseHerName Fri 30-Aug-13 19:44:40

Crowler ahahahha until recently i taught at a university and every freshers week i feel like an old fat hag - i'm 26 fgs!

Bubbles1066 Fri 30-Aug-13 19:46:37

I weigh 8 and a half stone, am 5'4 and am a 10-12. I have very little fat but I would simply not fit into an 8. I have quite broad shoulders which means I need a 10-12 to fit over them, same with my hips. No fat, just bone. People always guess I'd be an 8 but there's no way! It totally depends on your build as well as height.

AnyoneButLulu Fri 30-Aug-13 19:48:27

Depends on the shop. I'm 5'3" with a BMI in the mid 20s and a true size 12/13 depending on where you measure (as per tailor's measurements). But if I fitted a modern M&S or Next size 12 snuggly then I'd be bordering on obese - even their size 10s are pretty baggy on me. I've got some insane rogue GAP "size 8" jeans which literally fall off me, and a size 12 suit from the late 80s which I can't even think about zipping up, I'm only keeping it in case I have an unexpected 6 week bout of dysentery.

As people get taller then their skeletons do naturally scale up a bit - a size 26 inch waist, which is very reasonable if you're 5 foot nothing, wouldn't be natural for a six footer. You don't increase in width in direct proportion to your height, but by a fraction of the increase, which is why the BMI factor is squared rather than cubed - ideally the exponent would be more like 2.5, ie somewhere in the middle, but that's too mathematically tricky to be realistically applied.

I'm 5 feet 2, 9 stone and currently a 12. On my frame, a 12 is definitely heavy.

My mother, 4 feet 11, kept getting asked when she was due when her weight hit 8 stone and a size 10. All depends on height and frame.

thebody Fri 30-Aug-13 20:04:04

i am 5' 2 and look huge at size 12.

charleyturtle Fri 30-Aug-13 20:04:17

I am about 5ft and a size 12, I look very fat, I feel very fat lets face it i'm fat. I was only ever this big when I was about 13 and was bullied horribly for it. Fair enough, when I look at photos of me back then I want to cry, I look hideous.

However I have a friend who is a size 12, she is slightly taller than me and built more broadly (if that makes sense) she has a much more healthy muscular look to her.

If you compared us you would never think we were the same size! So I guess my point is its subjective, my body shape suits a size 4/6 (8 at a push) where as my friends body shape looks great at a 12 and if she were a size 8 she would look far too thin and unhealthy. in my opinion anyway.

LucilleBluth Fri 30-Aug-13 20:06:25

Fuck me, I'm a size 12, 9 1/2 stone, 5ft 4'..... I mean sure I'm no supermodel but I'm not that big...... but according to 99% of people on this thread I am, how odd.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now