to think that how long a mother breastfeeds her child is solely down to her and her child?

(29 Posts)
froken Fri 30-Aug-13 17:43:11

I have a friend who has a baby a simalar age to my ds (8/9 months) she is lovely not relevant and we spend days going to playgroups and parks and just enjoying being on maternity leave.

Today we were both feeding our dc and she said "does your dp get angry and tell you off when you breastfeed your ds?" I was fairly taken aback and said "no why would he?" She said her dp is angry that she is still feeding her ds, he blames any problems on her breastfeeding so their ds wakes every hour, he says it is because she breastfeeds, their ds doesn't like eating jars of food, he says it is because she breastfeeds. He askes her when he gets home if she has breastfed that day in a have you been naughty sort of way. The thing I thought was most unreasonable was he said she sould wake up in the night ever hour and get up and warm up a bottle so she doesn't breastfeed her dc.

I don't know what advice to give her, in my opinion it is very unreasonable of her dp, but I don't want to say ltb or "well my dp thinks it's lovely that I breastfeed ds, he thinks it's good for his health, free and handy" because that isn't exactly helpful to her situation. She is a lovely friend and I want to give her some unbiased constuctive advice.

AIBU to think that it is up to the mum and baby/child how long they breastfeed for?

mumofweeboys Sat 31-Aug-13 08:30:51

OxfordBags - no he doesnt but I do, I was trying to explain how he feels as he is my partner and a good dad, entitled to his feelings. Some people are just not comfy with bf - fact of life, they are entitled to their opinions.

Trying to reason out a persons actions is much more helpful than saying he is a twat

Lweji Sat 31-Aug-13 09:14:27

Even my twatish at the time husband didn't complain about bf and did some of the night time work.

I think it's perfectly unbiased to tell her he's being a dick about it.

On a side note, during the night it's easier for the baby to quickly fall back asleep and feed only a little. If that is the case, she can try to keep the baby awake until he has had a good feed. It might help having longer sleeps.
I'd go nuts if I was waking every hour constantly.

BoffinMum Sat 31-Aug-13 09:19:06

I think he has completely misunderstood the nature of bf, but I also think she could probably get the baby in a better routine and sleeping through at that age.

How horrible sad

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now