To expect my local coffee shop to let me in with a pram?

(237 Posts)
Shockingundercrackers Fri 30-Aug-13 12:01:43

Will try to keep this brief. My local coffee shop owner has just refused me entry with a pram (not a massive silver cross call the midwife one, just a bugaboo style thing). He said he was busy (he wasn't, and although its a small place there were only two other customers inside) and that buggies had to be parked outside. I can see the logic of this, but a pram with a 5 week old sleeping baby in it isn't really a buggy is it? Or is it?

I should have remonstrated with the grumpy fecker of course, but it had taken me so long to get said infant out of the house and I was so hungry and tired I thought I might embarrass myself and start blubbing. I beat a hasty retreat.

I've been fuming ever since of course. AIBU?

thebody Fri 30-Aug-13 12:03:08

fire regs?? him being sued if someone tripped over your pram?

Onesleeptillwembley Fri 30-Aug-13 12:04:05

Your pram would probably be bigger than a buggy. Surely you can see that. It's coming up to lunchtime. He will be busy. Get over yourself. YABU.

CookieLady Fri 30-Aug-13 12:07:08

Sorry YABU. I know it's difficult but not all restaurants or coffee shops have space for buggies or prams.

wonderingifiam2013 Fri 30-Aug-13 12:07:25

Sod him and find another coffee shop another day

As for today - treat yourself to a big fat cake and devour it at home over your own coffee smile

everlong Fri 30-Aug-13 12:07:49

I can see your point.

But I can also see his. I go to a cafe locally that is very popular, it's small and not well thought out where the table and chairs are concerned.

Lots of mums go with their prams. Sometimes there can be 4 buggies in their taking up loads of room. Nobody can move, the waitresses struggle with the food. It's crazy.

I always think prams should stay outside tbh.

HandMini Fri 30-Aug-13 12:07:57

Well, I don't know the exact layout of the cafe, but but I don't think he is being U to ask you to leave buggy/pram/whatever outside.

I've seen so many cafes with buggies crammed in, cutting off seats for paying customers, often because precious mummies don't want to budge their babies or sit too far away from them. Not fair for the cafe owner at all.

You have a few options - find another cafe; carry a sling under your pram and put baby in it; get a takeaway coffee and sit in the park; ask if there is any way you can sit in if, eg, you park your pram at the back or in their garden....I think if you offer a solution rather than just stand in the doorway waiting for tables to be moved, cafe owners are happier to help.

WaitMonkey Fri 30-Aug-13 12:08:08

YABU.

usualsuspect Fri 30-Aug-13 12:09:28

If he had limited space and your buggy would block access to tables etc I can see his point.

But it's hard to comment without knowing the lay out of the csfe.

SaucyJack Fri 30-Aug-13 12:11:15

He obviously doesn't want custom from the Yummy Mummy brigade. His prerogative. Take your money elsewhere.

kelda Fri 30-Aug-13 12:20:38

YABU. I had a bike lock for my buggy/pram so I could leave it outside.

Or simpler still, I used a sling.

Floggingmolly Fri 30-Aug-13 12:20:59

A pram with a five week old sleeping baby in it isn't really a buggy , is it?. It will take up the same space no matter what is in it, I'd imagine? confused

BrokenSunglasses Fri 30-Aug-13 12:23:15

YABU.

It's his business and if he doesn't want buggies in there, that's up to him.

Personally, I'd like to see more buggy bans in coffee shops. Any more than one in most places, and it does make things more unpleasant for other customers.

Lethologica Fri 30-Aug-13 12:23:47

Sorry but its another YABU from me.
As long as he was polite then I think he request was fair for a small coffee shop.

hazeyjane Fri 30-Aug-13 12:24:43

Some places are just too small to accomodate buggies/prams etc.

There are a couple of coffee shops that I can't use with ds, because his buggy gets in the way. Fortunately we live in a town with tons of cafes, so we go to those instead (especially Waitrose cafe who are lovely and move the chairs around to accomodate ds's buggy!) Do you have any other coffe shops in town?

It's just the way it is.

Lethologica Fri 30-Aug-13 12:24:47

...his request... Not ...he request..

HoldMeCloserTonyDanza Fri 30-Aug-13 12:25:12

If he wants to turn down your money, good luck to him, that's his lookout.

Go elsewhere and have a lovely big piece of cake smile

NatashaBee Fri 30-Aug-13 12:25:19

I would invest in a sling. There are lots of restaurants/ cafes where you can't get a pram in without inconveniencing people.

SoupDragon Fri 30-Aug-13 12:29:20

I think YABU. I would also invest in a sling and a bike lock.

kali110 Fri 30-Aug-13 12:29:36

Can understand his point. Used to work in coffee shop and prams were a nightmare. People would put them anywhere, in front of fire exits in middle of aises etc nighare trying to get round wiyh food

FrigginRexManningDay Fri 30-Aug-13 12:30:51

I had a bugaboo and they are bulky enough. It would probably be safer to carry hot drinks without having to watch out for wheels and handles too.

YABU.

MrsDeVere Fri 30-Aug-13 12:31:30

It feels horrible to be turned away with a baby. I can understand you being upset.

But most places are just not big enough to accommodate buggies and prams.

My OH uses a mobility scooter and I always have to do a recci before we go into any cafe or shop.

Now that is horrible. If he can't get in, we can't get in. Unless there is a table right near the front and somewhere to park his scooter (its a little one, not one of those massive 4x4 ones).

We had to leave our prams outside when my older DCs were little. I think we have all got out of the habit now because you can take them on buses etc.

Its tricky when they are asleep but thats when you most want to stop and have a coffee.

<gets off fence and buggers off before I get splinters>

JessePinkmansBitch Fri 30-Aug-13 12:32:59

I suppose I can see it from both sides really. Although if he can't fit a pram in his cafe then how can a wheelchair fit in? Wheelchairs are roughly the same width as the average pram aren't they?

VivaLeBeaver Fri 30-Aug-13 12:35:03

When dd was little our local Next wouldn't let prams or wheelchairs in.

expatinscotland Fri 30-Aug-13 12:35:27

YABU

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now