To have booked 2 weeks off work.

(21 Posts)
raisah Fri 30-Aug-13 05:32:01

Is it because she wants the same two weeks off as you so is guilt tripping you into giving it up?

I have a colleague like this & she uses every opprtunity to make sly comments about my 4 day week. One day she was quite vocal about it so I used it as an opportunity to tell her that I took e my ds to clinic appointmrnts. He has various health issues so my Fridays off are usually booked up for him. She became v quiet as she noticed ppl laughing at her & shaking their heads in dismay. I think she thought she had the support of the office and that I sat around having a manicure on my day off while she was busy gossiping in the office.

Turniptwirl Thu 29-Aug-13 22:22:58

Yanbu

Your colleague should mind her own business!

BikeRunSki Thu 29-Aug-13 22:20:23

I am also taking two weeks off as DS is starting Reception on half days only. DH works away, no local relatives, so someone needs to look after him.

Ledkr Thu 29-Aug-13 22:17:41

I'm having an op on Monday and thought one of the positives was that I will be around to see dd after school every morning and night and that's her starting high school.
It's not always when they are off school that they need you most.

Mmmbacon Thu 29-Aug-13 22:13:54

Yadnbu, I took one week off to settle my daughter, then two weeks of half days, tbh I needed the time off to settle myself, stalk the school bus and generally be happy that she was happy, I wouldnt be getting calls to come home she was upset and that she could manage to get on and off the right school bus, before I could commit to going back to work fulltime,

McNewPants2013 Thu 29-Aug-13 21:00:37

I work for the nhs and we all work 52 weeks of the year, so can book time off whenever.

Euphemia Thu 29-Aug-13 20:20:25

Unless you only work term-time, there will be weeks in the school holidays when you can't be off anyway, so you're quite right to prioritise when you do take time off.

Bugger the nay-sayers.

ShadowSummer Thu 29-Aug-13 20:19:46

Ignore your colleague.

It sounds perfectly reasonable to take your annual leave now in order to help your DC settle into new schools. No reason at all to be feeling guilty about it.

IJustNeedANap Thu 29-Aug-13 20:17:16

It shouldn't make you feel guilty. You take it when you want too!

When I opened this thread I thought you were going to say "my DCs are back in school and I've taken 2 weeks holiday so ill get some peace and quite in the day" and I still would have said YANBU.

McNewPants2013 Thu 29-Aug-13 20:16:45

thanks for the replys.

mysteryfairy Thu 29-Aug-13 20:05:17

Don't feel guilty. You are using your leave to do the best thing for your children. If you were actually going off on holiday somewhere leaving someone else to settle them into school she might be a bit justified in thinking YABU but even then she would be the unreasonable one if she said something.

Snazzyenjoyingsummer Thu 29-Aug-13 19:58:42

Horry yes, you can't win, it seems...

RhondaJean Thu 29-Aug-13 19:58:27

I currently have more days annual leave left to take than the girls have holidays from school between now and Christmas.

I was quite chuffed tbh...

Snazzyenjoyingsummer Thu 29-Aug-13 19:57:20

They have no right to say that. You take your leave whenever you want to as long as your line manager agrees it. I wonder what she'd think if you started telling her when she should take her leave?

I'm taking next 2 weeks off work as my DD is starting reception and will be part time, seems perfectly reasonable to me.

She should wind her neck in.

Normally people complain about parents who always want to have school holidays off. Give colleague the hmm face and ignore.

Good luck to your DC in their new adventures!

SomethingOnce Thu 29-Aug-13 19:53:56

Is the colleague some sort of designated annual leave coordinator?

Dackyduddles Thu 29-Aug-13 19:48:28

Someone always will..... Ignore. Sounds like you are right based on op.

McNewPants2013 Thu 29-Aug-13 19:46:07

It made me feel guilty.

Finola1step Thu 29-Aug-13 19:42:40

Sounds perfectly sensible to me. Not sure why this other person felt fit to comment. If you can take your annual leave, take it.

McNewPants2013 Thu 29-Aug-13 19:37:06

My both DC are is school as of next week ( DD part time for 2 week as she is starting reception)

Was working with someone today as she has said all my leave should be taken when the DC are off school.

Normally I do, but as dd is my baby I want to be there for the first few weeks and DS who has ASD is also starting a new school so want to be able to get the school if it gets to overwhelming for him.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now