Note: Please bear in mind that whilst this topic does canvass opinions, it is not a fight club. You may disagree with other posters but we do ask you please to stick to our Talk Guidelines and to be civil. We don't allow personal attacks or troll-hunting. Do please report any. Thanks, MNHQ.

To be gutted I cannot take on this telesales manager

(37 Posts)
Arnie123 Thu 29-Aug-13 15:59:03

I run a cleaning company and woman phoned me today wanting a telesales job. Her experience was absolutely brilliant but she wanted23k per annum. My business is only a year old and currently only generates me 800 a month. I told husband we could stop taking a salary as I did not in the first year and just pile 900 a month out of the tax credits and my dla into the business. Husband has gone ape and said we cannot afford her. Gutted

Tabliope Fri 30-Aug-13 15:12:02

Arnie - It would be a very bad move to hire her. To pay someone a £23k a year salary for bringing in sales surely you'd want a massive turnover (I can't even begin to guess how much - £100k at least?). Depending on where you live, if it's a cleaning company you have you'd reach a point where no further sales could be drummed up. Then what? You have someone on your books that you're paying out for but can't bring in anymore business? Plus all the cleaners you'd have to hire to actually do the work. Naan had the best idea - drum up your own sales in these early days.

Oldraver Fri 30-Aug-13 14:51:19

What others have said..I also think you are on shakey ground (and morally wrong to boot) to put yourself purposely in a position (ploughing all your Tax Credits and any possible income) toward this woman. Meaning you have no income and will again claim TC you are not entitled to.

Inertia Fri 30-Aug-13 12:38:55

Even if every single sales call she made generated new business, you still physically couldn't work the number of hours you'd need to pay her wages! Ploughing family money into the business (DLA , tax credits) would be crazy (and perhaps even legally dubious?). Your husband is absolutely right.

Without wishing to be disrespectful, perhaps your business would benefit more if you spent the money on some kind of basic business management course?

QueenofallIsee Fri 30-Aug-13 12:27:46

Don't do it OP - you do NOT need someone with that level of experience, you can't afford it and you won't get a return on your investment for quite some time

Arnie123 Thu 29-Aug-13 18:07:06

Naanbread thank you for your post I am using Mumsnet on my mobile so do not know how to pm you. Could you pm me and perhaps I will be able to access that.
Thank you everyone for your responses I realise I was being a prat now but she did a good sales number on me!

HappyMummyOfOne Thu 29-Aug-13 17:54:54

Im not surprised your husband went mad either. Your business cant afford her in any shape or form, bad form on her part to apply for a job where she wants more than offered as it wastes everybodies time. Same as those who apply full time with no intention of working full time hours.

As an aside, tax credits and DLA are not meant to be spent in that way. If you dont need the £900 a month you could spare for this them dont claim it.

Coconutty Costa Rica Thu 29-Aug-13 17:44:02

I was going to say offer her a small basic and commission based deal. See how good she thinks she really is.

Picturesinthefirelight Thu 29-Aug-13 17:39:54

Don't forget you'll have employers NI on top of that to pay too

If she was that desperate for a job shed accept the reduced hours.

Arnie,

I run my own business and I took on somebody not unlike the woman you describe. I don't want to tell the whole story on here in case I out myself, but please feel free to PM me.

The bottom line is that you don't need to hire her. She cannot pay her own salary for you this year and she will want about 8% commission of her sales on top of it. Do your OWN sales and earn yourself 23k this year. The needs of a small start-up like yours are VERY different from an established business and she almost certainly will not understand that.

BrokenSunglasses Thu 29-Aug-13 17:24:35

There will be reasons her boss doesn't like her. Bosses don't look to get rid of good employees that generate excellent sales for no reason, even if they don't like them.

I'm not surprised your DH went apeshit at your suggestion!

TedMoseby Thu 29-Aug-13 17:04:41

If she's that good then she's seriously underselling herself in a sales job, never mind the HUUUGE red flags she's given you re. her disciplinary and the fact that she wants a job that you're not offering.

EvaBeaversProtege Thu 29-Aug-13 17:03:40

Is dla for a disability?

NatashaBee Thu 29-Aug-13 16:54:30

Exactly. Let her put her money where her mouth is.

Optimist1 Thu 29-Aug-13 16:52:51

That's the answer, Natasha! If she's as hot as she says she is she'll be up for a commission-only deal.

NatashaBee Thu 29-Aug-13 16:45:00

^ I told husband we could stop taking a salary as I did not in the first year and just pile 900 a month out of the tax credits and my dla into the business^

I'm not surprised your husband went ape. That's ridiculous. If you really want to employ her, can you not work out a commission only deal so that she gets a % of any revenue she generates?

Yes yabu to be gutted.

She wanted money you can't afford to pay her.
She stated that she involved in a disciplinary.

Your dh sounds like he's sensible.

shoofly Thu 29-Aug-13 16:35:21

If she's as good as she says she is, I don't get why she wants to work for you. I'm really not saying that to be rude, but when there is such a gap between what your business needs and what she wants; I think there are huge alarm bells ringing.

She's clearly a reasonable sales person, because she's sold herself to you. I think I'd be saying sorry we can't afford you, wish her all the best and maybe you'll be in touch a few years down the line when your business has grown. To take on an employee whose salary could threaten your financial stability seems a bit daft.

MrsBeep Thu 29-Aug-13 16:27:34

She divulged that she wants to leave her current employer because she is under disciplinary action and doesn't like her boss, and you are considering her???! Slagging off where you currently work to a prospective new employer is just bad manners and I would wonder what the disciplinary is for. Steer clear.

dexter73 Thu 29-Aug-13 16:26:52

I would ask for her CV and check her references carefully before believing her. Plus the disciplinary doesn't bode well.

OK, put aside how great she is (because she's certainly sold herself to you) - if she generated enough new business to pay her own salary, would you be able to handle that amount of work, seeing as it will triple/quadruple your workload? With no actual increase in YOUR income, because it will all be going to her?

Listen to your husband. This is unworkable.

Arnie123 Thu 29-Aug-13 16:23:29

No my advert is very clear. 16 hours and not a great rate per hour.
She did say she wanted to leave her current job as her boss does not like her and is putting her through a disciplinary which is massive cause for concern

ClartyCarol Thu 29-Aug-13 16:23:25

Or what vBigOrange said. ..

ClartyCarol Thu 29-Aug-13 16:22:55

Hmm so she's really great but she's still hawking herself around any old business looking for work.

Repeatedlydoingthetwist Thu 29-Aug-13 16:21:49

To be honest OP I'd be wondering why someone who used to be an area manager was applying for a 16 hour a week telesales job?!

Hrrrm Thu 29-Aug-13 16:21:08

Haha x-posted. grin

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now