Note: Please bear in mind that whilst this topic does canvass opinions, it is not a fight club. You may disagree with other posters but we do ask you please to stick to our Talk Guidelines and to be civil. We don't allow personal attacks or troll-hunting. Do please report any. Thanks, MNHQ.

Think I've broken an unwritten "mum rule"

(60 Posts)
DevastatedD0G Thu 29-Aug-13 10:52:14

Decided to bake cakes with the dc. Filled one tray and there was still half the mix left over and the dc were going mad about licking it out so I just have them the half full bowl and a spoon each.

Tell me I'm making memories and they will always remember the day I let them eat cake mix rather than just being a lazy slattern. Or aib hideously unreasonable?

HamwidgeAlive Thu 29-Aug-13 10:53:22

Eating the batter is 90% of the fun!

DevastatedD0G Thu 29-Aug-13 10:55:57

That's what I thought. But have always limited it to the kicking the bowl. (Not that I make cakes often!). They're now scrapping over the last bit. <<sigh>>

AmandaCooper Thu 29-Aug-13 10:56:43

A whole tray of cakes worth of cake mix? Seems like a waste of potential cakes to me. How many DC?

DevastatedD0G Thu 29-Aug-13 10:57:59

Prob not quite a whole tray. 4 dc. I just CBA with the whining and would have had to bake one then fill the next cause I only seem to have one bun tray.

ResNullius Thu 29-Aug-13 10:58:50

5* mum IMO
Fairly sure your DC will agree.

You are a LEGEND!

I would have loved this yesterday when I was a kid, I always liked the battery better than the cake lol!

ToffeeWhirl Thu 29-Aug-13 11:00:48

Very good mum. I would have kept most of it for myself blush.

ArtexMonkey Thu 29-Aug-13 11:01:38

Cake mix with raw eggs? How many toilets have you got in your house?

That said, it's the sort of thing I'd do. I do't stress about breaking 'mum rules' though, I like to think of myself as a renegade cop like Gene Hunt or John MacLaine or some shit. I may not do things by the book, but goddammit I get results!

TrinityRhino Thu 29-Aug-13 11:02:30

awesome mum moment that will be remembered

you should be proud of yourself that you didn't just keep it for yourself grin

BrokenSunglasses Thu 29-Aug-13 11:03:32

I thought the unwritten Mum rule was always to let your children lick the bowl/spoon/spatula/whisk.

Cake mix is nicer than the actual cake!

BrokenSunglasses Thu 29-Aug-13 11:04:51

What's the problem with raw eggs?

Presumably her children aren't pregnant.

fieldfare Thu 29-Aug-13 11:07:00

It's the best bit of baking. Bet the kids loved it!

ArtexMonkey Thu 29-Aug-13 11:10:10

Just raw eggs <boak>

DevastatedD0G Thu 29-Aug-13 11:10:26

I just thought as a one off they will probably always remember, that one time mum lost her shit and let us eat all that cake mix. The bowl now looks cleaner than if it had been in the dishwasher grin

DevastatedD0G Thu 29-Aug-13 11:11:29

I have no probs with raw eggs, they're from our vaccinated chickens and I thought it was pretty low risk. We eat dippy eggs etc anyway so no different really.

5madthings Thu 29-Aug-13 11:13:54

yabvu you should have eaten it yourself grin

yum yum. your kids will be happy, raw cake mix is the best i always remember my.mum letting us scrape the bowl out smile

ArtexMonkey Thu 29-Aug-13 11:15:40

It's just me being egg phobic probably.

You keep on breaking them rules yo. sometimes mine have chocolate cereal from lidl for breakfast and when dh was working shifts sometimes I would let them stay off school to do fun stuff together as a family AND WHAT

MisselthwaiteManor Thu 29-Aug-13 11:18:35

Eating the mix is the point of baking. My nanna used to leave me to bake cakes and I'd eat more mix than I baked, did me no harm.

TSSDNCOP Thu 29-Aug-13 11:22:30

Cake mix is better than cake.

YANBU.

AmandaCooper Thu 29-Aug-13 11:23:00

Sounds fine to me. Maybe acquire second bun tray though - I hate the thought of all those cakes that might have been!

TrinityRhino Thu 29-Aug-13 11:24:38

my youngest two had raspberry ripple ice cream for breakfast yesterday

you should have seen their faces when I dished it up

now that was naughty and I don't care grin

AlfalfaMum Thu 29-Aug-13 11:25:28

You crrrazy rebel you wink

Sarcasm aside, I think you did good. Sometimes I feel like I say no constantly to the dc, and it's nice to just forget the rules and indulge them sometimes. One day in the summer we went out and ate loads of big chocolatey creamy cakes instead of having lunch. Although that was my idea not theirs blush

Damnautocorrect Thu 29-Aug-13 11:27:53

Sometimes I make a 2oz mix just for my ds to eat.
You did good, cake mix is THE best

nenevomito Thu 29-Aug-13 11:30:02

Oooh having a whole bowl of cake mix was a childhood dream of mine <drools>

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now