It's a public toilet, bloody hurry up!

(71 Posts)
Kendodd Wed 28-Aug-13 22:45:15

What are they doing in there? Massive line, and I swear some people are in there for ten minutes. AIBU to ask, if you are a toilet hogger, what are you doing the bloody crossword?

AmberLeaf Thu 29-Aug-13 18:58:30

I hate it when people take ages, especially when you hear them flush then they spend 5 minutes pulling up trousers etc

That could be someone like my Mum who has arthritis and has difficulty dressing.

Or a number of other reasons you intolerant bunch.

Do you all think that people enjoy being in a public loo?

teacherandguideleader I used to enjoy a work poo too grin

Jan49 Thu 29-Aug-13 19:18:20

I don't get annoyed with people taking a long time in a toilet. If I'm waiting and desperate, I hope there will quickly be a toilet available but that's my issue not theirs. If I'm a long time it's because I'm having a period.

Purple2012 Thu 29-Aug-13 19:24:03

Yes amber it could be but not everyone who takes ages has a problem with mobility. I often see people come out putting make up back in their bag. Or answer their phone while in there and take ages.

If im intolerant its because I have a bladder problem and when I need to wee I really need to go. If I have to hold it in I am in a lot of pain and I am worried I won't be able to hold it.

A lot of the time people are left waiting because people don't care about inconveniencing other people.

missgrainger Thu 29-Aug-13 19:33:06

Weeing myself laughing at WITMIMS darting around to get the autoflush to work. Stand up? sit down? clap hands? rush to the door? cough?

Snatchoo Thu 29-Aug-13 19:37:42

Sorry Ken - was it Old Swan Tesco?

I had SOD (Suddon Onset Diarrhoea) and tried to blame it on DTS2 but he was having none of it grin.

I did do a courtesy flush in the middle though didn't want to gas the other shoppers

missgrainger Thu 29-Aug-13 19:38:05

Just re-read this thread. How come so many mumsnetters have IBS?

MrsHoarder Thu 29-Aug-13 19:43:07

Long-lasting side effect of childbirth? Its not that rare anyway.

missgrainger Thu 29-Aug-13 19:45:36

It seems unusually common in mumsnetters though - or maybe the MN's with IBS were drawn to this thread?

UnicornsNotRiddenByGrownUps Thu 29-Aug-13 19:54:39

Maybe they are on mumsnet because they are stuck in the house or on the loo!

ArabellaBeaumaris Thu 29-Aug-13 20:01:07

I've spent ages in cubicles expressing breast milk before now.

AmberLeaf Thu 29-Aug-13 20:07:17

missgrainger Id imagine that people with IBS might well be drawn to such a thread.

Its fairly common though I think.

I know several people with it in real life (all women). I also know a lot of women through the prolapse threads that have a great deal of difficulty with bowel movements and urination, it is more common than I used to realise and causes a great deal of distress. But not something a lot of people can talk about openly.

catsmother Thu 29-Aug-13 20:29:38

You surely can't believe that anyone would willingly spend a moment longer than they have to in a public loo ?!? ..... ergo, if someone's taking a long time there's usually a damn good reason for it - as suggested by several posters above ..... the only exception I can think of being gaggles of teenage girls who all squash into a single cubicle and proceed to shriek, squawk and giggle for ages.

Personally, I'm another IBS sufferer. Believe me, I find it mortifying to use public loos when having an attack - you get hot and cold sweats, feel extremely nauseous, endure horrendous cramps akin to contractions, and daren't move for up to an hour (!!) sometimes even though "nothing" happens for several minutes, then you "go" (a bit), followed by another spell of "nothing" - except pain - for several more minutes and so on and so on. It is awful to be in that much discomfort and be sat in an often foul smelling loo (foul smelling before you got there that is), thighs pressed against a malodorous sanitary bin etc - when all you want is the comfort and privacy of home where you're not conscious of every noise you make (beyond your control) and the queue outside - sometimes stood literally right by your door. But the alternative would be to never venture out at all!

I once also miscarried in a public toilet sad .... which meant I took quite a time .... hmm

catsmother Thu 29-Aug-13 20:32:14

Yes, MissGrainger, this thread title was like a red rag to a bull !

Chrissy178 Fri 30-Aug-13 13:41:19

As somebody who has ulcerative colitis and has found myself stuck in the loo for 10-20 minutes at a time on a few occasions before in pain when experiencing a sudden flare, yabu.

I don't like using public loos but the alternatives are to either crap myself or walk around in agony.

LickleLemon Fri 30-Aug-13 13:51:22

Can see both sides of this. I have IBD and have times when I hog the bog blush.

That said I do find some people take an absolute age in the loo and I can only conclude we are a nation of women with hell of alot of issues somewhere down there. Just yesterday I was waiting for a loo in very very long queue in town. When I finally got to the stage of the queue I could see the cubicles (and got excitied that I may soon be able to use the loo) all 8 toilets had the doors firmly closed for what seemed ages before anyone emerged. The queue just did not move for 10 minutes or so.

buttermellow Fri 30-Aug-13 14:33:09

I spent 30 minutes in a public toilet a couple of weeks ago.. I had sudden severe diarrhea and couldn't stand up as it kept pouring. Terrible. I had to use the loo in a pub, then a cafe's, then Asdas as every time it stopped, it started again within a few minutes .. Like someone said when I have a spell I have usually up to 30 mins of contractions, then I go, then 5 minutes of contractions, then I have diarrhea which comes in waves for about 20 minutes. I really can't go any faster.

Also heavy periods, I spent 15 mins in the loo during a theatre interval changing my clothing, trying to discreetly wash with wipes and sort myself out so I didn't cover the theatre seat sad

sonlypuppyfat Fri 30-Aug-13 14:44:03

Oh buttermellow you poor thing that must have been awful, I nearly shit myself when I was 14 I had to run into a ladies hairdressers that was 32 years ago and I can remember it like yesterday

UnicornsNotRiddenByGrownUps Fri 30-Aug-13 15:17:42

buttermellow the former situation has been me for the past few days. Has been terrible but thankfully it started right before I left for work so I managed to be at home instead.

RinseAndRepeat Fri 30-Aug-13 16:49:34

YANBU OP.

This mystifies me too. It is so, so common I cannot believe that it's always due to a legitimate reason.

Loos in theatres, department stores, airports, shopping malls... I've waited aaaages in queues in all of these places wondering to myself 'what the fuck are they all doing in there?'

Happeningagain Fri 30-Aug-13 17:42:27

I'm dreading being the one who pisses someone off tomorrow. I'm off out all day without the baby and will need to top at least twice to express milk. I know from previous experience that the anxiety of being in public makes it far trickier to express, and takes much longer.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now