Note: Please bear in mind that whilst this topic does canvass opinions, it is not a fight club. You may disagree with other posters but we do ask you please to stick to our Talk Guidelines and to be civil. We don't allow personal attacks or troll-hunting. Do please report any. Thanks, MNHQ.

It's a public toilet, bloody hurry up!

(71 Posts)
Kendodd Wed 28-Aug-13 22:45:15

What are they doing in there? Massive line, and I swear some people are in there for ten minutes. AIBU to ask, if you are a toilet hogger, what are you doing the bloody crossword?

Tee2072 Thu 29-Aug-13 06:34:36

Reading War and Peace. Just to piss you off.

Have some compassion, FFS.

Purple2012 Thu 29-Aug-13 06:45:19

I hate it when people take ages, especially when you hear them flush then they spend 5 minutes pulling up trousers etc. It is a problem for me as I need to go to the toilet a lot (often 40 times a day). I can't have a drink when I get up as I would need to go to the toilet half a dozen times before I can leave the house and get the bus to work so I can't risk it.

Bippidee Thu 29-Aug-13 06:51:38

I think it's about perceived length of time spent, both in a loo and cash points!

If you're desperate for the loo, it can seem like the people in front of you are taking ages, but I bet no matter how fast I am, there will be someone behind me thinking "hurry up!" .

Likewise cashpoints. You want something quickly, so you are impatient.

(Disclaimer: I have never set out to prove/disprove my idea above!)

Thepowerof3 Thu 29-Aug-13 06:57:40

I wish some people would treat them better and we can have more of them, Another IBS sufferer here and I struggle having to wait there is Bly one loo. I've waited ages before to find the person before me was having a fag in there

williaminajetfighter Thu 29-Aug-13 07:00:45

Aside from people with medical problems etc i generally just think people are slow. There are a lot of people in No RUsh At All who are happy to stretch out the day and every task takes for ever. Heck why rush?

Those people in the stalls are the same ones at the Royal Mail counter spending 20 minutes posting one parcel!

WhenSheWasBadSheWasHopeful Thu 29-Aug-13 07:04:24

Well I'm going to go against the flow and say YANBU.

I don't think the op is referring to women with toddlers, if you are stood in a queue and the woman emerges after a long time with a two year old its pretty obvious why she has taken so long.
I get ibs d quite badly and when you've got to go you've got to go, unfortunately it's pretty bloody obvious by the smell that I'm doing a poo and that's why I'm taking so long.

I've been in long toliet queues and have wondered why the hell it is taking so long, no one has a toddler, unless they are very lucky and their shit doesn't have any scent at all no one needs a poo and not everyone can be on their period.

I have had conversations with friends wondering just what the hell these women are up to, her theory was they were all heroine addicts grin

I'm guilty of hogged the toliet due to ibs and wishing everyone would just fucking hurry up because I'm stuck in a queue and am it feels like I might shit myself at any moment.

Bertrude Thu 29-Aug-13 07:05:46

teacher my husband does that too. He's even been known to go to work early if he's desperate for a shit (he works 5 mins from home) so that he can clock in and THEN shit.

I sometimes take a while as I'm waiting for someone else to flush their loo so that I can fart. I know deep down that people can still hear my fart, but I think that it might disguise who has done it. I also realise that toilets are an acceptable place to fart so I shouldn't be embarrassed, but I have public-fart-ishoos.

So maybe they are all holding their farts.

WhenSheWasBadSheWasHopeful Thu 29-Aug-13 07:06:55

purple I hate it when people take ages, especially when you hear them flush then they spend 5 minutes pulling up trousers etc

You are so right, this really gets on my tits.

UnicornsNotRiddenByGrownUps Thu 29-Aug-13 07:07:59

YABU. No-one is going to be sitting thinking 'oh isn't this nice I'll just stay here a while longer'. If they are taking ages get over it!

Lazyjaney Thu 29-Aug-13 07:12:15

This pees me off too (as it were), WTF are they doing in there? I doubt they all have ibs etc etc etc, yet there is always a line out the door while the men seem to be able to let it out pdq.

Maybe they should have open toilets like men do so no one can faff around without it being obvious.

I always look at the "why do men take so long to poo" threads on MN and go hmmmm......

MrsHoarder Thu 29-Aug-13 07:17:36

Well a good half I of my public toilet visits are during the heavy part of my period so I'm sat there feeling sick, pouring blood due to flooding. Plus I'm a shy peeer, takes me ages when someone's listening.

pudcat Thu 29-Aug-13 07:17:40

YABU I have IBS and sometimes I can be in there a good 10 minutes. Unavoidable. As a matter of interest next time you go to a public loo time yourself from the exact second you walk in to the exact second you walk out. I think you will be surprised, especially if it doesn't flush straightaway.

pigletmania Thu 29-Aug-13 07:20:10

Lazy female urinals that will sirt the priblem. I think in some countries they do

EndoplasmicReticulum Thu 29-Aug-13 16:26:57

teacher - my husband always poos on work time. I prefer to go at home (also I'm a teacher, I don't have time to poo at work).

If you really can't wait you could always nip into the disabled....

Sorry, couldn't resist!

EvaBeaversProtege Thu 29-Aug-13 17:14:25

My colleague lives 5 mins from office & rolls into work, shits, makes coffee, rings his mum, THEN starts work.

It pisses me off. He forces himself to shit before home time too - we know it's to save on toilet roll.

Yonionekanobe Thu 29-Aug-13 17:35:19

Extreme example but I was at a cricket match recently and went to the loo to find I had a slight bleed at 20 weeks pregnant. All was fine thank goodness but I was in there an age. My anguish wads not helped by a lady outside the cubicle exclaiming (despite the fact there was more than one) that I was taking too long, and saying some very unkind things.

Realise this is a rare case but you never know...

teacherandguideleader Thu 29-Aug-13 17:37:47

EndoplasmicReticulum - my DP really can't grasp the fact that if I need to go to the loo mid lesson I have to hold it and by the time I get to the loo I've lost the urge! He reckons it is a breach of human rights. I could get away with leaving my sixth formers but I would hate them to think 'oh Miss has been ages, bet she's having a poo' -and I teach the kind of kids that would say something!

vtechjazz Thu 29-Aug-13 17:48:46

I once stood waiting in a huge line for toilets in debenhams once....one cubicle had been occupied for ages, eyebrows were raised, comments made etc.....the door opens and an old woman saunters out with an armful of clothes she had been trying on!

McNewPants2013 Thu 29-Aug-13 18:24:05

teacherandguideleader your post made me laugh.

I tend to take forever, but i am a slow at peeing.

EndoplasmicReticulum Thu 29-Aug-13 18:34:26

I can't leave, not allowed to leave the lab. So would have to put class in the corridor first. Can't see that happening.

EndoplasmicReticulum Thu 29-Aug-13 18:35:19

vtech - similar happens in the toilets at the beach. Most of them are being used for cubicles for people to get into their swimming cossies. It takes forever. Why they can't do the dance of the towel instead I don't know.

I often get cystitis if I am out for the day as I don't drink or peer often enough. so if I find I need to go to a public loo it can take ten minutes of feeling shivery and sore before I can get up. it is horrible and being stuck with a queue of people outside doesn't help.

UnicornsNotRiddenByGrownUps Thu 29-Aug-13 18:45:07

I have spent 45 mins * 3 today in the loo. I don't have IBS, I was just ill and it came on suddenly. Have some compassion woman!

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now