to be bloody pissed off that the CSA...

(209 Posts)
fanjangolo Wed 28-Aug-13 21:31:36

take child tax credits from one set of children living with the Non resident parent, to give to their other child regardless of the resident parents income.

Child Tax Credits are given to lift children out of poverty and then the CSA take them, shoving them back into poverty - even if the child they are giving this money to lives in a wealthy household.

ImATotJeSuisUneTot Wed 28-Aug-13 21:52:13

Get off your ranty soapbox. You're being unreasonable, and petty. You have children with someone who has other children. They have responsibilities.

utreas Wed 28-Aug-13 21:52:28

Tax credits are just a method that the Governments uses to give money to certain client groups for political favour so of course they are income and so they are taken into account.

fanjangolo Wed 28-Aug-13 21:52:41

Yes they receive working tax credits. I agree with working tax credits being taking into account. But not CTC.

BrokenSunglasses Wed 28-Aug-13 21:53:19

X posted.

You are being very confusing, and a bit too shouty.

Sorry, but YABU.

fanjangolo Wed 28-Aug-13 21:54:59

Yes they have responsibilities and they were already paying maintenance via their wage and working tax credits. Child tax credits is extra awarded for the cost of a child. I fail to understand how this is counted as the parents income.

testedpatience Wed 28-Aug-13 21:58:40

I think this part of the calculation will stop when the new system is in place and about time too so YANBU.

CTC shouldnt be touched but WTC should be eligible. I dont know many people making CSA payments that have ever been asked what they receive in TC, the calculation has just been based on the earnings of NRPconfused

littlemisssarcastic Wed 28-Aug-13 22:00:11

laly NRP's partners/wives/husbands income is not taken into account.

OP, Is it a case of swings and roundabouts though?

The NRP who has created a 2nd family where CTC received is used as income for CSA calculations for children from first family also benefits from paying reduced maintenance for his children from first family because he has gone on to have more children.
So while NRP loses out in one way, they benefit in another.

ENormaSnob Wed 28-Aug-13 22:00:35

Yanbu

Exp has a young child as well as our ds1.

No way would i want his new child to go short by taking a portion of their ctc.

ImATotJeSuisUneTot Wed 28-Aug-13 22:00:39

Why not ask the CSA then. Don't shout though, you won't get far.

Wereonourway Wed 28-Aug-13 22:01:47

I Was going to assume you had just had new baby with nrp and found that CSA are taking ctc into account as well as wtc but in op you mention a "set" of children.

Out of interest How many children are we talking?

littlemisswise Wed 28-Aug-13 22:01:54

YANBU.

When DH was assessed way back in the 90's, child benefit was taken in to account for the NRP's income. The CSA's formula's have always been illogical.

IneedAsockamnesty Wed 28-Aug-13 22:11:26

Ohhhhhh such a dramatic way of looking at it.

They only consider tax credits if the nrp is part of a joint claim and they do not consider the entire award only a portion of it.

They do not take into account any of the nrp's partners income that's why its only a portion of the tax credits.

And the nrp also gets a deduction based on how many children they have resident with them.

kinkyfuckery Wed 28-Aug-13 22:12:31

Stop being so bloody obtuse, it would be much easier all round to just spell out the situation in clearer terms.

HappyMummyOfOne Wed 28-Aug-13 22:12:37

YABVU, you have chosen between you to have more children. Why should the first miss out. If you were adequately supporting the child there would have been no need to involve the CSA.

If you dont want to share your tax credits, then work more hours and dont claim them. They are not paid to only those in poverty, you can claim CTC on a decent salary as the cap is far higher than WTC.

fanjangolo Wed 28-Aug-13 22:19:44

My children are the first actually! My DH's other child is a result of a fling he had during a time when we separated for a year. In our case our children would be living in poverty without CTC because DH was laid off and is now in a low paid job and I can not currently work due to an anxiety disorder.

fanjangolo Wed 28-Aug-13 22:20:16

And yes they did use contraception - she was on the pill.

fanjangolo Wed 28-Aug-13 22:22:01

No it is not a portion of CTC, the letter received today states they have used our entire award of CTC to be included as DH's income and will therefore be deducted to give to his other child. At a loss.

dandydorset Wed 28-Aug-13 22:26:09

a fling,well serves him bloody right

having his cake and eating it

unbelivable,hes a tosser and your daft enough to back him,and then expect the poor child to suffer

bet he dosent see this child even and that suits you to fine

Wereonourway Wed 28-Aug-13 22:26:55

what she said ^

HappyMummyOfOne Wed 28-Aug-13 22:27:37

A lot of women state they are, he should have used something himself rather than rely on a short term partner. Isnt it something like a 0.3% failure rate yet "accidental" pregnancies i would imagine are far higher and down to mis-use etc.

The CSA take all income into account, how sad that you begrudge a subsequent child of support. Your husband should have thought twice before having more if you cant support them.

sillyname Wed 28-Aug-13 22:30:14

Hard to judge really without any figures provided. How much is he being asked to pay?

BrokenSunglasses Wed 28-Aug-13 22:30:59

I fail to understand how this is counted as the parents income.

It's counted as the parents income, because it's the parent that claims it in order to be able to provide for their children. They don't give it to children, they give it to adults who ask for it because they can't provide for their kids on their own.

You have your DH to blame for the situation you are in, not the CSA. And knowing what a shower of shite the CSA are, I don't try to remove blame from them very often.

fanjangolo Wed 28-Aug-13 22:32:06

Haha!! I knew this would turn into a husband bashing session after my last comment. I had TWO FLINGS during our separation, he had one. How will the child suffer if they do not receive my CHILDREN's tax credits? They are already receiving 15% of his wage and working tax credits! And the CHILD tax credits would not even be here if my children didn't exist!

fanjangolo Wed 28-Aug-13 22:34:07

Broken, you have said yourself it is given to provide for the children. How is this anything to do with any other child.

fanjangolo Wed 28-Aug-13 22:35:06

How can you call him a tosser for having a fling during our separation? Beyond my comprehension, you don't even know him. Are you a feminist dandy?

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now