To want to dumpster dive?

(32 Posts)
annabanana84 Wed 28-Aug-13 16:47:14

like many, I am appalled by the amount of food waste in the country. I've heard about freeganism/dumpster diving, where people go into the bins of the supermarkets and retrieve perfectly edible, completely sealed food items.

I really want to try this, but I'm terrified of getting arrested!

BionicEmu Thu 29-Aug-13 10:06:12

I asked my local Co-Op what they did with food past it's sell-by date. They have to ruin it then put it in the bin. For example, liquids (yoghurts, milk, juice etc)have to be poured out, bread gets ripped up etc. The staff aren't allowed to take any of it home. I think it's a disgrace to ruin perfectly fine food, especially given how expensive food is & how many people are going hungry. Thinking about it, this chucking out of past sell-by date food is probably contributing to the high cost of food too hmm

annabanana84 Thu 29-Aug-13 17:42:26

Well, I tried, but failed miserably! All the bins seem to be locked in sheds. What I thought where the rubbish bins are actually public recycling units. Damnation!

FondantNancy Thu 29-Aug-13 18:07:29

Oh no, OP! I think you do really have to be in the know though - which may involve a few missions. Know anyone locally who's had a go?

Such a fucking travesty that companies are ruining their food before chucking it. Ruining food while people go hungry?! Basic logic fail.

fluffandnonsense Thu 29-Aug-13 19:09:54

What I can't understand is why don't the supermarkets just out it to one side with a sign saying 'free'. The homeless and people on low incomes could be given much needed support with things that would have been burnt byway! Plus the supermarkets pay by weight for the council to destroy the waste so surely it's a bonus for them too?

shockers Thu 29-Aug-13 19:50:32

That wouldn't work because they'd get canny folk who could possibly afford to buy it anyway, but would rather have the cash in their pockets!

They could give it to homeless shelters though, with the proviso that it was eaten within 2 days or disposed of ... back in the locked skips. It would probably be preferable to picking half eaten, left over Mac Donalds out of a bin... something I saw happen recently sad.

I did buy the guy something fresh to eat BTW.

ivykaty44 Thu 29-Aug-13 19:53:24

there is a new app for left over food

fluffandnonsense Thu 29-Aug-13 20:03:34

I see what you mean, it's such a shame that since he supermarkets are making such a huge profit they couldn't invest a little something back by giving away something they don't even want or need!

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now