Note: Please bear in mind that whilst this topic does canvass opinions, it is not a fight club. You may disagree with other posters but we do ask you please to stick to our Talk Guidelines and to be civil. We don't allow personal attacks or troll-hunting. Do please report any. Thanks, MNHQ.

In thinking 'piles' should be more talked about?

(105 Posts)
Nicknameinvalid Wed 28-Aug-13 14:39:10

First time in my life I've had them.. And OUCH!

But I'm sooo embarrassed.. I've had to make up a 'pulling a muscle' injury at work to cover why I keep wincing and squeaking when I sit down wrong!

Allegedly 40% of the population has had them.. So why aren't they ever talked about?

Or am I just a total prude lol

Wellwobbly Wed 28-Aug-13 21:25:28

This thread is killing me.

<< wiping tears, reaching for asthma pump>>

Oh, Mumsnet grin

BaconAndAvocado Wed 28-Aug-13 21:26:18

OP I completely agree with you.

After DS2 I had a very bad case of the Farmer Giles and, apart from labour, this was the worse pregnancy related condition, yet the least talked about.

Wellwobbly Wed 28-Aug-13 21:26:32

Testicle!!

That's set me off again.

Both! Get fucking both! Ha ha ha ha haaa

Humuhumunukunukuapuaa Wed 28-Aug-13 21:33:03

I've had them for ten years! I've have had to do it at some point!

And waxes. How can you have a bikini wax? The skinny young girl would be horrified

please DON'T TRY TO 'PUSH THEM BACK UP' it's a myth.... there are piles inside and piles outside!!!!

ModreB Wed 28-Aug-13 21:44:51

Sorry, I have had them since DS1, and he is 23yo. They have been banded, surgically stripped, banded again, stripped again, and they still keep coming back. They bleed so much that I need to use a sanitary towel sometimes.

I don't have varicose veins though, and the last time I was in hospital with them went into a clinical study about piles, and was told that my sphincter (sp) and bowel muscles are excellent, so they don't know why I keep getting them angry

And I find that the bleeding is worse when my poo is soft - what's that about then?

SeaSickSal Wed 28-Aug-13 21:46:14

I thought I had them for years. Turned out it was a really big skin tag which I had removed. Now I have a perfect bumhole.

But yes it would have saved me a fortune in Anusol if I had known the symptoms better and realized it was not piles. And I was too embarrassed to go to the docs too.

Nicknameinvalid Wed 28-Aug-13 21:48:20

Ok seasick - fess up.. What's the perfect bum hole lmfao

Nicknameinvalid Wed 28-Aug-13 21:49:01

I just thought about bikini waxes and actually felt faint! shock

expatinscotland Wed 28-Aug-13 21:49:10

Oh, trust me, this ain't no skin tag! LOL. I remember when I first got them. It was after I'd given birth to DD2. Midwife rang the doc from the house and said, 'Well, I've had 4 children and I wouldn't want to sit on that!'

Almostfifty Wed 28-Aug-13 21:52:19

Trashcan My Doctor told me to push them back up when I had them when pregnant! Mind, that was many years ago.

Had them twice since, luckily they've only been small.

Bloody horrible things.

SeaSickSal Wed 28-Aug-13 21:53:33

Mine. Mine is perfect. I used to have skin tags and fissures and now it is the perfect round hole. I had surgery, it's like a facelift for your arse but you get it on the NHS.

Sopster Wed 28-Aug-13 21:55:28

PMSL!!! Yet it's sooooo not funny when you have them! Had them on and off since pregnant no 1 and had a thrombosed one earlier this year. OMG the pain!!!!! Told couple of close friends (mums obv) who were v v sympathetic.

Nicknameinvalid Wed 28-Aug-13 21:56:44

I just made a really traumatising stupid mistake.. All this talk of bleeding etc made me think 'ooh maybe I don't have piles at all!!' (Not had any blood).

I googled it. I google IMAGED it.

I don't think I'm ever getting some of those pictures out of my head.. One picture actually looked like someone was giving birth from their bottom it was that big I saw eyes!

PrivateBenjamin Wed 28-Aug-13 21:58:25

Don't use tea tree oil shower gel anyway, DP bought some and I used it last night. Jesus, I felt like that guy on the Airwaves advert, flying though the air on a fresh breeze.

PollyPlummer Wed 28-Aug-13 21:59:00

I made that mistake Nickname. I actually felt dizzy.

Nicknameinvalid Wed 28-Aug-13 21:59:02

Seasick.. Is it wrong for me to be jealous of your bum hole? Because I think I am! hmm

mine is far from perfect maybe once this goes (and it will go!!!!!) I should treat myself to some type of anal beauty treatment! grin

Nicknameinvalid Wed 28-Aug-13 22:00:16

PrivateBen.. A thong is out too

Lethologica Wed 28-Aug-13 22:04:45

I had some for years, they didnt irritate me but they did bleed. I would mention them to GPs from time to time but not seriously IYSWIM. Eventually I had an op. It was quick and painless and I wished I had done it years previously.
I told my friends I was having a 'ahem' operation (said with a grin and raised eyebrows). There was lots of talk about it being a good thing to do but I don't think anyone actually admitted to piles. It's a bit silly really blush

Fakebook Wed 28-Aug-13 22:06:27

Mine got worse when pregnant last time. After childbirth I was in pain for months and months. I'd actually cry from the pain.
What helped me was regular pelvic floors but with the back passage. I read somewhere that piles are caused by skin getting loose around the rectum, so a bit like a stocking falling down and causing wrinkles. You have to smooth the stocking out by pulling it up, so it's the same with piles, except you do pelvic floor exercises to build the muscle up again.

I'm so stupid for getting pregnant again! I know my poor bum will suffer the consequences of this. Does anyone know if you need to strain more with a third dc born around 22m after your previous labour?

Humuhumunukunukuapuaa Wed 28-Aug-13 22:08:21

lethologica was yours a haemorroidectomy (sp?)

Mine was so far from painful

Humuhumunukunukuapuaa Wed 28-Aug-13 22:08:58

Painless I mean

AddictedtoCrunchies Wed 28-Aug-13 22:10:59

Are piles always grape-type lumps on the outside?

Or can the area just be sore and very itchy?

What is the best potion to use?

StickyProblem Wed 28-Aug-13 22:18:47

Thanks so much for this thread! I feel alone no longer....

Am just back at work after holiday, but when I first stopped work I thought I was making a diamond with my arse. Germoloids suppositories are my fave! Also, plenty of sleep...mine starts grumbling when I get too tired. I shout at it sometimes - "I KNOW I'm tired, you bastard, I don't need you throbbing and aching to tell me to slow down!"

LadyBigtoes Wed 28-Aug-13 22:25:04

Ah, I'm crying laughing at this thread. You are so right OP. I don't talk about them to anyone except DP yet statistically several of my friends should have horror stories to share.

Mine are mild thankfully, they were bad during pregnancy but then went away and only flare up when I'm really stressed or overworked. But I do have one of those "deflated balloons" (I thought it was just me!!!) and I hate it. I never appreciated my perfect bumhole when I had it. And no, you can't push it back up. It pops out.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now