Note: Please bear in mind that whilst this topic does canvass opinions, it is not a fight club. You may disagree with other posters but we do ask you please to stick to our Talk Guidelines and to be civil. We don't allow personal attacks or troll-hunting. Do please report any. Thanks, MNHQ.

To think its not my fault workmate slept on train station and 'could have got mugged'

(45 Posts)
Lampshadeofdoom Tue 27-Aug-13 12:09:05

Someone at work is causing trouble, telling people I have said pretty bad stuff about them etc. Its caused arguments and also problems with people who think I have said these things, made it that the job i loved is making me ill. She's actually seeking me out at work I front of clients and workmates to say 'whats this you have said about x, infront of x.

It all started out on a work evening event, working event rather than works night out, I live further away than others and no bus after 11pm so booked a cheap hotel. All others bar L and S get home easily.

S asked how I was getting home, told her and she asked to share so I booked twin room. L was present when this was arranged and also lives further away but didn't want to share.
Me and S are both a lot older.

Anyway come after event everyone goes out, by 1am me and S leave as unlike the others we have kids and both have to be back early. the others want to carry on, L starts kicking off she has no where to stay. She hasn't paid but I offer her to share as long as she comes back now. She isn't happy at this and wants to stay out. I tell her we are going back, if she wants to share she comes back now.

Next day she isn't speaking to me.

Another work person said she could stop at hers, they were both so drunk other woman couldn't remember were she lived then when she did find it she had no key and smashed window to get in. L ran off.

She turned up at hotel at half four we were asleep and hotel wouldn't give her a key to room. She ended up sleeping on train station until first train.

Apparently its all my fault, she could have been mugged or worse and i would have caused it hmm

My boss has got involved over the alledged slagging off of others and although he says he believes me he has to discipline us both as things have been said infront of clients we work with.

Its like being in bloody preschool.

Peachy Tue 27-Aug-13 12:12:26

She has MASSIVE responsibility issues!

If you did say things in front of a client then boss probably has a point on that- 'we will discuss this LATER' in a freeze out voice is only response no matter what is said when clients present. However you should get understanding for the position you were in, she should get a serious disciplinary.

shock Being disciplined because your colleague doesn't know how to behave like an adult?
Have you said things at work about it?

Shakirasma Tue 27-Aug-13 12:14:19

I would put on a formal grievance against her.

If it was work event, her employers may have some legal duty towards her actually, but unless you are her line manager then it all sounds rather weird.

kali110 Tue 27-Aug-13 12:16:38

Thats awfull! Sounds very childish. She may not recall clearly what happened if she was so intoxicated. Why are you being disciplined though, did you say things back?

timidviper Tue 27-Aug-13 12:16:39

Document everything, discuss nothing with your colleague (do as Peachy said) and put the whole lot in as a formal complaint, making it clear that the stress of your colleague's poor behaviour is making you ill and you expect the company to fulfil its duties in dealing with this.

HotCrossPun Tue 27-Aug-13 12:18:36

She sounds very childish.

Don't speak to her or other colleagues about this again, you are going to be drawn into a petty 'she said' 'no she said' thing.

Speak to your boss privately about what has been going on and how it is effecting your working environment.

Tiredemma Tue 27-Aug-13 12:19:26

where do you work? what has this got to do with your boss??

put in a formal grievance against her.

Lampshadeofdoom Tue 27-Aug-13 12:21:42

All I have said I front of clients is 'i don't know what your talking about L but this isn't the time/place.

Our team is small and we work very closely with same clients for 3 - 6 months, L has boundary issues and can be a bit inappropriate (we got banned from press nights because of her harrassing celebrities,)

My boss pulled me in because I was having a really hard time with a poorly sen dc at home then this at work and I got upset in staffroom and someone told him.

redexpat Tue 27-Aug-13 12:23:48

You have responded in exactly the right way. You sound like a top professional.

quesadilla Tue 27-Aug-13 12:27:42

Put in a formal grievance. She sounds unhinged, frankly, and you don't want to leave your professional reputation in the hands of someone who is being actively spiteful about you.

If it were just a minor he-said-she-said thing I'd maintain a dignified silence but if she's saying things that are slanderous you have to take a stand.

Be as cool and professional as you can with her to her face and don't get dragged into a public slanging match but put in a formal complaint to management, get something on record and make it clear you want it stopped.

If you belong to a union, I'd recommend going to them for legal advice too on an informal basis.

Lampshadeofdoom Tue 27-Aug-13 12:29:57

Moaning the event ended at a time she could have got home, she decided to stay out round town.

I booked a hotel because I live MUCH further away and knew if work event ended just minutes late I would be stuck.

Basically when it got to boss he quizzed L about what had happened and she said she had heard some stuff from others even though she was telling others SHE had heard me say it angry

We are both being disciplined because he has to be seen to be making a tough line about professionalism I front of clients .. Apparently.

I called HR but they are in another building/city and said its up to boss to deal with it.

specialsubject Tue 27-Aug-13 12:32:07

your response in front of clients was entirely correct. Keep repeating this.

if she swills the booze until she can't get home that is not your problem.

I agree that you need to put in a formal complaint and get this sorted, as she is clearly a liar as well as a drunk and has some childish grudge against you. Take the initiative before the wrong story gets believed.

Lampshadeofdoom Tue 27-Aug-13 12:34:52

Basically I have apparently said X doesn't pull her weight at work, y is a lazy bitch and given dirty looks to clients confused I have also said apparently someone else thinks she's all that and she's shit and that z is a slag who needs to keep it in their pants.

Its all pathetic, id laugh if I didn't have other shit to deal with.

SmiteYouWithThunderbolts Tue 27-Aug-13 12:35:18

You MUST put in a formal grievance against this awful woman. She is having a detrimental affect on your professional appearance both as an individual and a company. The bit about being banned from press events because of her behaviour around celebrities is just obscene! I can't believe she hasn't been fired already.

Don't take this lying down. Stand up for yourself and keep talking to your boss. HR cannot refuse to deal with this. I suggest writing a formal letter.

Would ACAS be an appropriate place to seek advice?

comingalongnicely Tue 27-Aug-13 13:30:30

I would also suggest you raise an appeal or grievance against the disciplinary you received.

If it was due to a colleague accosting you in front of clients then it's not your fault!

Good Luck

Groovee Tue 27-Aug-13 13:34:27

I would call ACAS for some advice.

limitedperiodonly Tue 27-Aug-13 13:52:10

All I have said I front of clients is 'i don't know what your talking about L but this isn't the time/place.

If that's really all you said in front of clients you should not be disciplined. Did you say the other things? Who's saying you did?

Your HR department appears confused as to their job. This is exactly what they should be doing. Go back and point that out.

Lampshadeofdoom Tue 27-Aug-13 14:04:18

No one is saying I said anything other than that I front of a client. Basically boss said we are both getting a warning because her saying stuff I front of clients means they have been brought into it which isn't professional looking for company and a client got involved and argued on my behalf over it (he had been present during an incident I had supposedly said something) so boss isn't impressed client has got involved is warning us both because I cant prove I didn't say it.

Its hard to explain without giving away what my job is but basically we work very closely to clients for 3 - 6 months and they go out with us and such.

Peachy Tue 27-Aug-13 14:07:26

Agree with limited.

HR should also be helping you with the SEN child, depending on the level of SEN: we have children with autism and certainly HR have been able to help us work with this in the past, if you are a Carer you have certain rights.

Given that, I would certainly recommend ACAS and I wish you luck.

Lampshadeofdoom Tue 27-Aug-13 14:10:21

Will call Acas thanks smile no union.

quesadilla Tue 27-Aug-13 14:14:12

Call ACAS but I would also recommend going to talk to a lawyer if you can afford it, even just for one session (some lawyers wil offer initial consultations at low rates) to see what your rights are.

I would also put something in writing, very respectfully and professionally, stating that you are blameless in this incident, that you want this to go down on your employment record and that if any further action takes place on the part of your employer which implicates you in this situation you will take legal action.

limitedperiodonly Tue 27-Aug-13 14:21:51

That sounds awful. Your boss sounds like a bad manager and a coward who doesn't want to tackle the problem.

Talk to HR. This is exactly their job. I'd be worried that it would be a formal warning. Even if not, it won't solve the problem. She won't accept any responsibility and will carry on behaving badly.

Something very similar happened to me but at least it wasn't a formal warning and there were lots of us roped in to share the blame because my manager couldn't face dealing with it properly.

BashfulBunny Tue 27-Aug-13 14:29:58

What a nasty situation. I think your boss is being lazy. It does not give a professional impression to unfairly discipline a member of staff. If he is worried what clients think then he should be making sure he deals with it transparently and properly - and that is not the same as being heavy handed. If a client came to your defense then they are not going to be impressed with your boss either.

Don't just take it. A disciplinary will go on your HR record and could affect your next job.

You should be being vindicated, she should be put on review.

Agree about contacting ACAS. Sounds like you need some support since HR have forgotten their jobs.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now