"they ate fast food and junk food but had splashed out of a plasma TV."

(902 Posts)

This comment just came up on the radio news, supposedly said by Jamie Oliver about one of the families he was working with in his new TV show.

AIBU to wonder how the fuck what you eat relates to what TV you have?

Surely this just reinforces stereotypes of the people likely to have bad diets through lack of education on the matter? What a bullshit statement.

YouTheCat Thu 29-Aug-13 10:09:30

Noooo! Steven (seagull)!

I was going to make a risotto with that.

grin

grin missed all that.

we don't eat meat at home much either and i've always had to be quite creative about how i was getting enough iron and protein into ds as he was never that into meat. i agree veggie diet can be fine but needs to be very varied and use a lot more sources of protein and iron and b vits etc a lot of which don't come cheap and your child needs to be willing to eat lots and lots of different foods happily.

<wipes feathers from mouth>

YouTheCat Wed 28-Aug-13 21:58:37

My spider is dead. The cat had it.

SeaSickSal Wed 28-Aug-13 21:51:08

At least your seagull will have got to eat the spider. Spiders are organic. JO would approve.

usualsuspect Wed 28-Aug-13 21:45:57

You won't be able to make seagull stock if SAFs got your seagull in her slow cooker.

YouTheCat Wed 28-Aug-13 21:41:57

If she's had my seagull, there's going to be trouble! shock

usualsuspect Wed 28-Aug-13 21:40:43

Actually tbf,DS eats a lot of veggie stuff. Pasta is one of his favourite things. But he's always been very skinny. I worried about how thin he was as a child.

But it's just the way he is built. He's still skinny now as a 2O year old.

SeaSickSal Wed 28-Aug-13 21:39:37

Incidentally YoutheCat I would watch out for SAF if I was you. Especially if she appears to have feathers round her mouth.

Habbibu Wed 28-Aug-13 21:34:02

In fairness, I think it is perfectly possible to raise growing children on a vegetarian diet and not have them waste away, even very active children. BUT I do think in that case you need to be a decent cook and have a good understanding of how to make balanced, interesting and varied meals. I think it's harder to cook good vegetarian food than it is a meat-based diet. Ours is probably 80-90% veggie, and my kids are very active and fit, but we are reasonably well off, which makes things a lot easier, and I'm quite into cooking, so it usually doesn't feel like a chore.

YouTheCat Wed 28-Aug-13 21:30:23

Aye... dripping looks into the distance, nostalgically

usualsuspect Wed 28-Aug-13 21:21:18

Our chippy has a sign up,saying chips suitable for vegetarians.

They are better cooked in lard though.

We used to have beef dripping on toast when I was a lad. Lovely it was.

SeaSickSal Wed 28-Aug-13 21:19:39

Swallowed a fly. I have to ask. Does your username mean that not only did you swallow a fly, you also swallowed a spider, a bird, a cat, a dog, a goat, a cow and a horse?

And did they all wriggle and jiggle and tickle inside you and might you die?

In which case Jamie Oliver might have a point about your diet. YABU.

limitedperiodonly Wed 28-Aug-13 21:16:05

Hi Olivia, will Jamie still be popping along tomorrow?

It's just that it's lunchtime and I need to get down the chip shop first.

YouTheCat Wed 28-Aug-13 21:11:34

My knitted skateboard has descended into soup.

I could do with some chips though.

limitedperiodonly Wed 28-Aug-13 21:11:06

The best chips are fried in beef dripping.

There was an outraged thread started by a vegetarian about this only the other day.

She wanted her chip shop to display a warning.

I don't know what to think any more

limitedperiodonly Wed 28-Aug-13 21:08:00

chicken fucking cordon bleu

Chicken, ham, cheese, breadcrumbs. What's not to like? It's not like as if it's rat in phlegm and dandruff a la Stalingrad.

<I am rising above the bunfightness>

FasterStronger Wed 28-Aug-13 21:06:57

life is too short for this. all the best.

usualsuspect Wed 28-Aug-13 21:00:39

Population*

usualsuspect Wed 28-Aug-13 20:59:50

Our chippie chips are vegetarian.

Large Asian nopulation, though.

SeaSickSal Wed 28-Aug-13 20:53:12

Faster stronger it's better in beef lard. My local chippie fries it's fish and chips (and everything else) in the clarified type and is what the angels will feed you when you go to heaven. Plus mushy peas from wing-ed cherubs.

FasterStronger Wed 28-Aug-13 20:47:13

i had a muslim friend who would not eat chips fried in the same oil as pig.

which made me feel like i should raise my game.... but a good pile of chip shop ships, with plenty of salt and vinegar, usually makes me forget about any shared sausage fat.

usualsuspect Wed 28-Aug-13 20:46:32

I want chips and cheese now

Damn you, Jamie.

Empress77 Wed 28-Aug-13 20:45:39

I believe Rick Steins arent (I could be wrong, it could be a rumour), but they are more expensive than the other chip shops so avoid them anyway.

usualsuspect Wed 28-Aug-13 20:45:26

Well they are around here.

usualsuspect Wed 28-Aug-13 20:44:19

Chippy chips are usually veggie.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now