to think miley cyrus should stop now

(128 Posts)
MrsBucketxx Tue 27-Aug-13 08:34:51

Something about that girl gives me the creeps.

Maybe she is too masculine, to full on, to manic.

Its the same with riannah its not big and its not clever I wish they would vanish.

Aaarrrggghhh rant over

ZeroTolerance Mon 02-Sep-13 01:45:15

Sleep, I like your perspective.

I guess she did turn his misogynistic little song on its head. She definitely had the upper hand. I still think it's a seedy way to go and I can't stand how sexualised female popstars make themselves BUT you're right, in that night, she owned the stage.

All power to the foam finger grin

SleepOhHowIMissYou Sun 01-Sep-13 23:41:26

Oh I am just so tired of all the slut-shaming in media nowadays! Sorry if I am repeating, I have skipped to the end of the thread, but where's the berating of Robin Thicke, a man in his late 30s, stalking and frottaging a 20 year old girl round the stage whilst singing his rapey little ditty about coerced a@se sex?

Miley Cyrus is NOT Hannah Montana. Hannah Montana is a role she played as a CHILD for goodness sake. She is trying to make her way in a cut throat industry and her fans from her Disney days are growing with her so she needs to keep up with the Zeitgeist if she wants to retain them as well as attract new fans. Either that or she can fade away and try to scrape a living on the residuals of the work she's already done, but the amount of Hannah Montana cr#p you see at car boots and in pound shops would suggest this is not a lucrative route.

She's not a sweet little girl anymore, and she should be free to express her sexuality as she pleases without a barrage of abuse when she's no worse than her contemporaries in the industry. "How dare she get out of the box we've so neatly filed her in! How dare she grow up!"

I took great delight in Robin Thicke's rather terrified face when he encountered her raw energy at the start of the duet. He who seeks to label our young women as 'good girls' (grrrrrrr); good girls just begging for it really, 'you know you want it'. She owned the stage, and she owned him!

More power to your foam finger Miley!

Back2Two Sun 01-Sep-13 20:06:28

Her sticking her tongue out is totally voluntary.
Nothing to do with taking drugs. Which drugs supposedly make you do that?

She looked disinhibited and slightly out of control.

She wasn't pushing any boundaries. What boundaries are left to push? She was just pushing a spongy finger around like Kenny Everett.

I just don't know where some of these female performers are going. It doesn't feel liberating, it feels desperate.

But, I'm from a whole different generatIon. What do I know?

SarahAndFuck Sun 01-Sep-13 19:03:48

I assumed she was drunk for that performance.

But I think it's Robin Thicke that needs to stop.

Tasmania Sun 01-Sep-13 18:37:25

Please don't take it out on the girl. She is an adult now. Not Hannah Montana.

I don't deny it was provocative - but that's what shows like this dictate. The VMA is a show where you go to be the most extreme version of your on-stage persona. And yes, it might not have been as polished as Beyonce's or even Madonna's showpieces of the past - but the difference between the performances may be the same as that between a stripper and a Burlesque dancer (essentially, they are doing the same thing... just in a different way).

She's young, and will learn.

And having watched the performance, there wasn't THAT much wrong there. The questionable moments may have amounted for a few seconds of a 6 minutes plus performance...

To be honest, I remember doing similar type of dancing when I was of similar age - and yes, it was aimed to be a show... but seriously?? It was nothing but just a bit of play-acting... in fact, I was probably one of the most innocent girls at that age (a bit of a Sandra Dee)!!!

What you have to remember is... it's a show! The audience would be bored just watching "normal" people... or Sandra Dee.

AmandaHoldenmigroin Sat 31-Aug-13 14:13:29

well Miley's new album is number 5 already and it only comes out in October - such is the demand after her stunt. Clever girl

MrsBucketxx Thu 29-Aug-13 11:02:56

I have done loads of e (mdma) and have never seen the tongue or done it myself.

Gurning like a haddock yes tongue no.

I watched it again earlier and the more I watch the more I think its an act, to get a reaction.

Plus all shots beforehand look much more normal, in the black outfit, no massive eyes etc.

JerseySpud Thu 29-Aug-13 09:04:01

It made me uncomfortable.

What got me more was the men were all dressed in suits, the women in various stages of undress.

Says alot about society now i guess.

PavlovtheCat Thu 29-Aug-13 08:15:01

My initial thoughts were that she was on drugs. Overt strutting, her posture was all wrong, she was out of rhythm, huge over-emphasised grinning and gesticulation, and the tongue thing was very typical of someone who was on MDMA, xtc or some other upper - it not only makes you feel great and that you are amazing (and I expect when the crowd is cheering you, that sense of ego is inflated even more than normal when on drugs), but it makes your muscles work overtime, so everything you do is much more pronounced as the muscles stretch out. So, what she might well have anticipated as being choreographed sexy dancing, in fact was far too over the top with lots of bending her back arched. She knows better than that. That was not dancing.

A huge public meltdown not completely unparalleled to Britney Spears is what it looks like to me.

(Although, I thought her hair looked ridiculous with those little things on top, but generally, I love her short hair on her, it suits her).

MrsBucketxx Thu 29-Aug-13 08:12:07

Exactly isshoes, simulated masterbation with a big giant foam finger, isn't something beyonce does.

isshoes Thu 29-Aug-13 07:57:15

I think Beyonce's performances are very different from what I saw on the VMAs. Yes Beyonce dances in a provocative way. But her moves are more subtle, and she appears in total control of herself. Miley's moves were more explicit than I have ever seen Beyonce be, and she seemed out of control.

Therealamandaclarke Thu 29-Aug-13 07:54:16

Women and girls are sex objects. That is the truth of the world we live in.
When miley was a kid she was cute and wholesome. That's what was required by "society". Now she's all grown up she has a choice. Be sexy and get objectified or sink without a trace.
We live in a cruel superficial world where we're teaching our children that girls are there to be looked at if they're sexy or ignored if they're not.

Anyone who doesn't buy into it, or who claims not to like the status quo grin can conveniently be accused of being out of touch or jealous. Easy peasy - man's world sorted.

StupidFlanders Thu 29-Aug-13 07:21:16

Agreed zerotolerance. This thread is infuriating.

ZeroTolerance Thu 29-Aug-13 06:41:50

Seriously Duchess? So Beyonce gets away with it because she's a better dancer? She can sexual exploit herself but so long as she hits every note that's ok? hmm

Wellwobbly Thu 29-Aug-13 06:22:18

Sorry, last sentence again

It is horrible, and it is wrong because it is a path to emptiness, unhappiness and self-loathing.

I really hope for a backswing one day, against all this shallow vapid self-absorbtion for ££££££.

Wellwobbly Thu 29-Aug-13 06:19:58

I found something that really catches why I dislike these stupid young girls, and truly consider them to be narcissistic morons who are absolutely betraying young girls on what it is to be a woman:

"People are bombarded with images of women as sex objects in advertising and marketing campaigns. Over and over, the message to men is that the good life includes a parade of sexy women in their lives. Women *inadvertently buy into this image and strive to achieve it.*"

from 'Why people have affairs' by Peggy Vaughan

Teenagers who are grappling with the vital existential questions of 'Who am I? and 'What do I want?' get the strong message that they have to be 'hot' and totally sexual/available to men without connection, in order to 'be somebody'.

It is horrible, and it is wrong.

duchessandscruffy Wed 28-Aug-13 22:42:27

The thing that was most disturbing for me was that a 20 year old girl was manically gyrating and pretending to masturbate with a foam finger alongside a guy who was fully clothed, cool as a cucumber and technically old enough to be her dad. It just seemed very wrong. God, I sound like such an old gimmer!

And you really cannot compare her with beyonce - yes beyonce is very sexual in her performances and I am always a bit hmm at her 'girls run the world' attitude when you look at the lyrics of her husband's songs. However, when she performs she is pitch perfect and the dancing is spot on, it is perfection!

isshoes I know-I just thought it worth pointing out as a lot of the posts on the thread are directly responding to the OP's posts.

Bakingnovice Wed 28-Aug-13 21:42:36

For me it's really sad. She is probably on drugs and has issues from being handled all through her formative years. And some male fat cat record exec is rubbing his hands with glee at all this press.

I thought gagas performance was worse. She creeps me out and I don't like all the subliminal messages in her songs and performances. Her nudity is not art for me. She would shock and interest me more these days if she wore clothes. Same for Jessie j and rhianna. Surely everyone is desensitised to the dancing in underwear phenomenon by now?

isshoes Wed 28-Aug-13 20:50:16

Well I said 'the overall message' which is not an all-inclusive term.

The OP was distinctly cruel in tone. There was no sense of concern in the words 'gives me the creeps'.

isshoes Wed 28-Aug-13 19:53:59

Why would this thread, or the comments on it be embarrassing? confused

And jealousy? That's amusing. No one is shocked, no one is scandalised, no one is clutching their pearls, the overall message on here is one of concern for a young performer who seemed out of her depth and out of control.

nomorecrumbs Wed 28-Aug-13 19:11:01

I'm sure Dolly Parton is reet proud of her right now.

dubstarr73 Wed 28-Aug-13 18:43:02
PeriodMath Wed 28-Aug-13 17:24:47

Dolly Parton is her godmother? shockshock

I have never been so jealous in my whole life.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now