Note: Please bear in mind that whilst this topic does canvass opinions, it is not a fight club. You may disagree with other posters but we do ask you please to stick to our Talk Guidelines and to be civil. We don't allow personal attacks or troll-hunting. Do please report any. Thanks, MNHQ.

to think miley cyrus should stop now

(128 Posts)
MrsBucketxx Tue 27-Aug-13 08:34:51

Something about that girl gives me the creeps.

Maybe she is too masculine, to full on, to manic.

Its the same with riannah its not big and its not clever I wish they would vanish.

Aaarrrggghhh rant over

LessMissAbs Tue 27-Aug-13 10:58:02

Maybe thats what it is, not womanly. Sexy to me is, Marilyn, nigella, etc.

That would Marilyn who died young of a possible drugs overdose and slept with abusive, famous married men? And Nigella who recently divorced an abusive, famous man? So that "womanly" image has done them a lot of good!

I'm actually uncomfortable with you describing women as sexy, as if it is some end goal that all must work towards to attain, above all others. I can appreciate other women's attractiveness, and for me, I admire female athletes and an athletic figure, not what a traditional middle aged man wanting an affair would go for. Or what they would like to condition us to think.

NeoMaxiZoomDweebie Tue 27-Aug-13 10:59:46

The issue is NOT her clothing...it's NOT her hair....it's not even fucking twerking on that Thicke man...it's the fact that her performance skills seem to have foundered.

Like her or not she is or was a highly talented singer, dancer and showwoman and now she seems to have lost that.

candycoatedwaterdrops Tue 27-Aug-13 11:00:08

I don't think she's behaved any worse than any of the above mentioned artists. It did what she wanted - got people talking.

NeoMaxiZoomDweebie Tue 27-Aug-13 11:00:48

Bollocks. She's on drugs and fucking up.

volvocowgirl Tue 27-Aug-13 11:02:18

With the exception of about 6 seconds with a foam finger it all looks very choreographed, which isn't surprising considering the size of the stage. She just appears a little over enthusiastic,but from what I've seen she's often like that, it was just in that context it came across differently.

Personally I think it's no more inappropriate than 45yr old woman snogging a 21yr old at the VMAs ten years ago, (if that had been an older man there would have been uproar). Or what about Britney's almost nude outfit? Or Kanye West being the most disrespectful t@sser known to man? Or Lil Kim's boobage? Or just generally some of the violence that has been reported at the VMAs over the years?

Also VMAs aside, saying Madonna hasn't set a foot wrong is glossing over a lot of behaviour (and really terrible acting). But so what, it's up to her!

Miley's young and finding her place in the world, most people act out a little at that point, I feel for her because she's got the world's judgey little eyes on her and a while lot of people who can't help but wag their fingers and tongues at her in disapproval.

No one else seems to be getting this much rubbish slung at them over this incident and there would've been a lot of people with a lot bigger say in the whole display than her. Plus, whilst I'm moaning, I'm fed up with that fake Smith Family photo doing the rounds too.

MorphyBrown Tue 27-Aug-13 11:02:22

Teddy bear furry bustier with the bear doing the tongue out thing.

She's just not very good at what she's trying to do. Unlike Rihanna.

MorphyBrown Tue 27-Aug-13 11:05:18

'If that had been an older man there would have been uproar'

No, it wouldn't have been news because it's pretty standard.

pictish Tue 27-Aug-13 11:09:01

It's a lot of fuss over fuck all.

Dahlen Tue 27-Aug-13 11:34:00

Miley Cyrus may not be doing anything different to a multitude (of female) stars before her, and I have completely failed to be shocked by this, but I wouldn't consider it nothing. I think it's a sad reflection of how female performers have, in the main, have to conform to a fuckability standard in order to keep their star in the ascendent - something which has important ramifications for other women and in particular young girls who go around emulating the costumes and choreography they see on their heroines.

peanutMD Tue 27-Aug-13 11:53:33

I think she's rebelling against the crappy image she was stuck with as a young girl, once you've been that sweet little teeny bopper I imagine its bloody hard to be taken seriously as a grown up artist.

That says I think her performance was awful from the start and RT's awkward posture when she was grinding up on him suggested to me that he was uncomfortable.

Either way she's cocked up but i'm sure she'll come back

brightnearly Tue 27-Aug-13 12:08:04

I just wonder why there seems to be the equation of growing up = becoming overtly sexual in their performances instead of growing up = doing some really good, interesting music and image changes that don't hinge on sex alone.
It's boring this way!

peanutMD Tue 27-Aug-13 12:12:30

Totally agree Bright.

Unfortunately though decent music seems to be a thing if the past as most "artists" seem to concentrate more on how they look or are being perceived rather than their musical talents (or lack of as the case may be)

I don't like slut shaming other women and to be honest it's not much different to what Madonna did back in the day BUT the problem is she is shite.

118sbigmoustache Tue 27-Aug-13 12:16:33

I think they become overtly sexual because up until that point they aren't allowed to be sexual at all because of whatever innocent character they are playing at the time. So they then go maybe too far or too extreme because it all happens at once. Kind of like how some teenagers will get everything pierced when they turn 18 after not being allowed even ear piercings before that.

FrigginRexManningDay Tue 27-Aug-13 12:17:48

OP she is a woman not a girl.

It looked,to me,like she was taking the piss out of Rihanna,Beyonce and the like and their *Oh look at me,panting and grinding,I'm so sexy type of performance.

volvocowgirl Tue 27-Aug-13 12:26:01

MorphyBrown - I do agree it's more acceptable (when it shouldn't be) but there's also huge backlash - look at Courtney Stodden and Doug Hutchison.

brightnearly Tue 27-Aug-13 12:27:21

moustache To me, the problem seems quite the opposite: very early sexualisation and awareness of it, and nowhere to go from there except outrageousness...
Also, when comparing Cristina Aguilera's Dirrty with this performance, somehow the former seems more genuine in that Aguilera comes across as knowing what she is singing about, whereas I think Miley seems fundamentally clueless.

NeoMaxiZoomDweebie Tue 27-Aug-13 12:28:15

Does nobody else think her performance skills seem to have disapeared? She was very good at what she did a few years ago...

ShakeAndVac Tue 27-Aug-13 12:32:35

*I should imagine she has watched the video and is punching the air in triumph, while you lot clutch your pearls and pass round the smelling salts.
Job done.*

Exactly this! I said the same thing on one of the other million threads on here about the same thing.
It's done to shock and get publicity, and the fainting and squawking outrage still works, and always has done - all these threads about it proves that!

less no she should concentrate on her talent. Which was supposed to be singing. If she wants to be taken seriously as a performer surely relying on talent rather than what she perceives to be "outrageous or sexy" of which its neither it's tacky and quite frankly revolting.

No one now will remember what she was good at, just some OTT grotesque dance routine that's been done 100 times before, it's boring and predictable and not one singer has ever lived that part down if they make it at all afterwards to look back ten years from now.

peanutMD Tue 27-Aug-13 12:36:19

Hold up Volvo, you mean to tell me that people had heard of that Courtney Stodden person before big brother??

I was baffled when she announced that everyone was obsessed with her lol

NeoMaxiZoomDweebie Tue 27-Aug-13 12:37:18

Shake what bollocks you speak....I for one am totally unshockable having had a very wild youth myself. I don't judge or feel disgusted by the way she dances....I am just worried she's on drugs and will have some kind of car crash situation soon.

And I have to say I agree with neo. If I saw anyone in a pub or club doing that my first thought would be drugs. Naive that may seem but that's not just moving away from a "clean cut Disney image" .

I would be worried for that woman if i was her friend or family.

ZolaBuddleia Tue 27-Aug-13 12:51:29

It's the sheer scale of her tongue that upsets me. It's like something I saw being sliced in a butcher's in the 70s.

IfYouLoveSomebodyLetThemSleep Tue 27-Aug-13 12:57:36

Can everyone who has commented on Mileys dress sense and her dance moves please, PLEASE take a look back on themselves at that age. Where you all wearing roll neck jumpers and not doing anything inappropriate?

She's a young girl who's going through a very normal rebellion stage, she just so happens to be doing it in front of the worlds press.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now