Note: Please bear in mind that whilst this topic does canvass opinions, it is not a fight club. You may disagree with other posters but we do ask you please to stick to our Talk Guidelines and to be civil. We don't allow personal attacks or troll-hunting. Do please report any. Thanks, MNHQ.

Miley Cyrus, Robin Thicke and THAT performance

(94 Posts)
Sparklymommy Tue 27-Aug-13 01:59:22

AIBU to think someone/anyone should have told her this would be a huge mistake? Not going to link because I don't know how. But basically if you want to need eye bleach/ watch it its on YouTube. Miley Cyrus VMAs 2013.

BlingBang Tue 27-Aug-13 10:38:52

And the The Smiths faces were hilarious - no matter who they were watching.

LookAtTheTwain Tue 27-Aug-13 10:45:39

I've seen the same and worse from -

Madonna,
Rhianna,
Britney,
Christina,
Beyonce,
Jesse, and way more 'artists' what a joke tbh.

All separately and together sometimes.

Yawn...

AFishWithoutABicycle Tue 27-Aug-13 10:59:14

hardboiled
She's in her 20's I think. Old enough. and don't get me wrong i do blame the production team and the media and the general public and society and myself... But the buck has to stop somewhere and if every time I had a rant I had to be completely objective and point out all the other contributing factors my mumsnet contributions would be very long and boring

LessMissAbs Tue 27-Aug-13 11:01:02

BlingBang And the The Smiths faces were hilarious - no matter who they were watching

Am I being too cynical to think that the highly media savvy Smith family choreographed this themselves?!

OctopusPete8 Tue 27-Aug-13 11:04:31

I think their reactions are pretty genuine tbh, he seems fairly protective of his family in that sense.

LoopThePoop Tue 27-Aug-13 11:12:55

LessMis,
I agree. The smiths are a company not a family.
Will would be giving the nod I imagine.
Did you see him with the son on graham norton a few months back. Brilliant, but you could see the young fella watching for his cues.

Miley, pah. She's not the first, she won't be the last.
It's actually not that shocking, just cringe worthy.

People are talking though, which is the whole point.

Lazyjaney Tue 27-Aug-13 11:14:31

What Look says.

She is just the next in a long line of teen stars that haste jump to sdult stars who choose to do so by taking off their clothes and dancing as if they were on heat. It's a well trodden path.

She's 20, her choice, her responsibly.

Fakebook Tue 27-Aug-13 11:29:28

Oh I don't care who they were looking at or if they were choreographed, the picture made me laugh!

specialsubject Tue 27-Aug-13 11:49:36

wow. She actually sings worse than Rhianna. I didn't think it was possible.

soverylucky Tue 27-Aug-13 11:58:35

It is Robin Thicke who looks stupid. She is 20 and desperate for fame etc. He is old enough to know better. Idiot.

FrenchRuby Tue 27-Aug-13 12:13:35

As a married man and a father he shouldn't have performed with her in that way, he just came across as a Percy sleazy old man, I bet his wife was really happy about it all....
She just looked like a teenager trying too hard to be controversial. Can't stand either of them.

FrenchRuby Tue 27-Aug-13 12:13:51

*pervy even!!

ILetHimKeep20Quid Tue 27-Aug-13 12:20:59

It didn't look like much of what she subjected him to was choreographed!

ChubbyKitty Tue 27-Aug-13 12:29:28

She's only two years younger than me. I am mortified by what I just watchedhmm

I have friends who are 20, if they tried doing that I'd have to sit them in a dark room with a sugary tea.

Cringe cringe cringe.

Part of me feels sorry for Robin Thicke. He didn't look very comfortable to me..maybe that's just me though.

Such a shame that her and her managements' quest for continued fame is leading her down this path.

She is gurning terribly - I'm not sure if she wants to suggest she's supporting the Bolivian economy, or whether she actually is. Either way, desperately sad.

The question is, where does she go from here? Madonna's journey to sex kitten built up fairly slowly by today's standards. The only way Miley Cyrus can "top" this performance is by actually having sex on stage. It becomes boring very quickly and has shortened her shelf-life as a performer, rather than enhancing it. Such a shame as she has a good team of pop song writers and could have had a much longer career if she had been well managed.

frizzcat Tue 27-Aug-13 12:34:58

Agree LookAtTheTwain all been done before and I'm not sure what's so controversial - Is it because she's a Disney girl? So was Christina, she got down n dirty in er, well Dirty....

Justin Timberlake cupped Kylies gyrating arse at the Brits.

Kanye West performed at the Brit awards with 50 dancers all female, painted gold and in tiny gold bikinis - no controversy there?

Madonna simulated sex on her tours

Prince as some seriously sexual lyrics, that would make Robin Thicke look like a nun.

Britney - sexy school girl outfits, PVC catsuits, flesh coloured diamanté catsuit in toxic.

I don't think Miley is on drugs and I don't think the tongue thing is an indication of that. The band Kiss based their whole image on face paint and big tongues. I don't think this performance would have the same attention if Robin Thicke danced with a random dancer.

I'd imagine that Miley Cyrus life was very controlled by her parents and Disney, as she had to maintain an image. As with all children they grow up and rebel, they get their own ideas - yes her rebellion is extreme but so then was her upbringing under the spotlight.

It's a 20/21 yo girl pushing boundaries - we've all been there we've just not done it this way, and yes in years to come she'll probably be embarrassed or play it down - but tbh I look back at myself at that age and cringe too ...

HilariousLotus Tue 27-Aug-13 12:36:42
Pantone363 Tue 27-Aug-13 12:38:55

It's like Yates on a Saturday night.

And why is she constantly wanking an imaginary cock?

Wouldntyouliketoknow Tue 27-Aug-13 12:42:21

Really don't understand the big deal. As others have said, this has been done a million times before. Has no one seen Rihanna perform?

Obviously it's still quite disgusting to see any woman behave like this on stage but I don't see why Miley Cyrus is being singled out.

AFishWithoutABicycle Tue 27-Aug-13 13:03:28

Hardboiled I think it's a bit patronising to call her a puppet. If she was a 20 something man would you still think she was so blameless? Is thicke just a product of his parents as well?
I agree its my responsibility to help my daughter become a well rounded informed woman of the future but young people are impressionable and miley is a 'role model'. Also i cant control what other children watch and reenact in the playground.

ubik Tue 27-Aug-13 13:08:48

Oh

I thought it was a trailer for a remake of Beetlejuice... confused

ubik Tue 27-Aug-13 13:15:44

WTF is 'twerking?'

What's wrong with her tongue?

Why does she keep scratching her vagina?

SoupDragon Tue 27-Aug-13 13:17:43

She is 20 and an adult.

EsTutMirLeid Tue 27-Aug-13 13:21:33

I think all parties involved made a huge mistake. This whole sexualisation of pop music is a relatively new thing and I avoid switching on music channels full stop when my child is in the room. I think it's awful that the entire industry has gone this way. Women allowing themselves to be exploited by the industry and men exploiting women in this way through sex, drugs and violence. I think the music and recording industry has a lot to answer for. There should be ratings on some of the videos that are produced and they should be banned from televising until after the watershed in the extreme cases.

But miley cyrus, robin thicke et all and the producers of the Xmas got what they wanted... Publicity!

EsTutMirLeid Tue 27-Aug-13 13:23:37

Vmas not Xmas - bloody autocorrect!

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now