Friend fraudulantly claiming tax credits as a single mum

(150 Posts)
OrangeFlower7 Mon 26-Aug-13 18:36:50

I am getting increasingly exasperated with hearing the woeful stories from my friend - she and her husband 'split up' at the start of the year but are now back together / still living together. She is always saying how skint she is, since getting married (was a single mum beforehand) as her tax credits claim stopped. So, when they split up, she started a new claim as a single parent with a low income. He has a full-time well paid job. So now they get housing benefit for their 1.1K/month rental house, a high tax credits award of about 10K plus his money from his job...it just seems a bit unfair for her to keep moaning on when we've been struggling with DH being made redundant and getting by on some self-employment but really trying hard each month to get the money together for the mortgage bills etc.

WWYD? What should i say next time she moans on? Do you think, I should report them for tax credits fraud?!

noisytoys Mon 26-Aug-13 18:39:01

Report them. I have reported people in the same situation, their claim was stopped, it was investigated and it is anonymous. Thankfully for me they told anyone would listen about their fraud so they don't know I reported them and I don't know if anyone else reported them.

JaneFonda Mon 26-Aug-13 18:39:58

Yes, report her.

But her wealth has nothing to do with yours (or lack of it).

nkf Mon 26-Aug-13 18:41:46

Two separate things. Do you report? And how do you deal with her moaning? Don't muddle the two.

timidviper Mon 26-Aug-13 18:42:15

I too would report them. I am in favour of benefits at a decent level for those who need them and there will never be enough money to do that if irresponsible grabbers claim more than they should.

Finola1step Mon 26-Aug-13 18:45:08

Report her.

gamerchick Mon 26-Aug-13 18:52:47

I wouldn't grass on somebody for that. But I would look at your motives for it. Are you doing it because IT'S NOT FAIR! She's got more than you? or you just think it's the right thing to do? Could you look her in the face if they decide to make an example of her?

She will probably get caught herself without your help at some point. They're really cracking down.

janey68 Mon 26-Aug-13 18:54:28

Report. It's utterly wrong and a kick in the teeth to all genuine claimants and taxpayers.
I've never been in a position to need to report anyone but I know others who have and it seems very straightforward. They won't know who they've been reported by, their circumstances will be investigated and if they weren't doing anything fraudulent they'd have nothing to fear

SmiteYouWithThunderbolts Mon 26-Aug-13 18:55:10

Report her because it's fraud, not because you're sick of her moaning.

Viviennemary Mon 26-Aug-13 18:56:51

I would report them. I've never reported anybody but in your situation I would. This is theft of public money by fraud.

Mojavewonderer Mon 26-Aug-13 18:57:05

Report it! It's not right and that's tax payers money that they are getting and not entitled too. You can report it anon online now so there is no excuse.

MintyChops Mon 26-Aug-13 18:57:24

Agree with * Thunder*. Report.

if she works full time in a well paid job, she won't be receiving highest ctc or full housing benefit on her home.

StuntGirl Mon 26-Aug-13 19:01:11

Haha, I bloody love this website sometimes. About a week ago someone asked if they should report someone in the same situation and was roundly condemned for it, told it was none of her business and to stfu.

PresidentServalan Mon 26-Aug-13 19:01:22

Report her. And if she is a pita, stop being friends with her.

RhondaJean Mon 26-Aug-13 19:01:24

Not her the husband who "doesn't" live with her hash tag..

Report. People like this are thankfully a minimum but they do the genuine claimants a disservice and I have no sympathy for them.

CatAmongThePigeons Mon 26-Aug-13 19:01:35

Hasnt the housing benefit cap came in to stop people claiming larger rents?

OrangeFlower7 Mon 26-Aug-13 19:02:22

She isn't in the well paid job, he is. Stuntgirl yes that does sound a bit typical smile

RhondaJean Mon 26-Aug-13 19:09:40

Housing benefit cap is related to number of bedrooms not rental cost.

Overall benefits cap is 26k so 1.1x12 + 10k comes in under that.

SubliminalMassaging Mon 26-Aug-13 19:16:41

Tax credits of 10k? confusedshock

How does that work then? I know nothing about tax credits but I think I know they are not worth up to 10k. At least I bloody hope they're not.

SkinnybitchWannabe Mon 26-Aug-13 19:19:25

Report her.
Ive done it in the past, very easy to do online

jacks365 Mon 26-Aug-13 19:23:35

Report. It's fraud and everyone pays the price for it.

OrangeFlower7 Mon 26-Aug-13 19:25:45

Subliminal, I think, if you are claiming on a very low income the maximum award is about 10K over a year, or about 800pounds a month.

CatAmongThePigeons Mon 26-Aug-13 19:26:42

Thanks Rhonda I knew I probably wasnt right.

Anyway, report them.

CoffeeandScones Mon 26-Aug-13 19:27:06

More like £11-12k I think if working sixteen hours or more and on about £10k a year.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now