To think this is really lazy?

(35 Posts)
mrspremise Mon 26-Aug-13 15:29:20

I spent quite a lot of time making a present for my niece and combined the homemade gift with a bought wooden toy to play with as well. The only thanks I have had from parents is a group email, purportedly from the baby to 'dear everyone who gave me a present'. AIBU to think that this is really lazy and bloody ungrateful? I sent individual thank you letters for all the presents my DCs received until they were old enough to write their own. I don't think an email is unreasonable these days, but I would have liked to have been addressed directly. What do you think, should I just have lower my expectations?

PrincessFlirtyPants Mon 26-Aug-13 15:34:26

YANBU- I agree with you but some people are like that. I once got a black and white photocopy of a thank you card... That was a pisstake.

Sirzy Mon 26-Aug-13 15:35:28

whatever the thank you it should be personalised whether a phone call, in person or a card/email.

LostMarbles99 Mon 26-Aug-13 15:46:43

That's incredibly lazy and really ungrateful!

mrspremise Mon 26-Aug-13 15:46:45

Princess shock That's dreadful!

LostMarbles99 Mon 26-Aug-13 15:48:21

Also it's really tacky when people send cards from their babies!

Babies cannot write or send cards, don't be so bloody stupid! Write the friggin' card from the parents!

And breathe!!!

ThedementedPenguin Mon 26-Aug-13 15:52:30

I actually think YABU.

Crikeyblimey Mon 26-Aug-13 15:52:50

Did you give the gift in person or was it posted? See, to me this makes a difference. Also was it a random gift or for a birthday?

If someone gives me or ds a gift in person, I or he will thank them "in person" there and then. I don't send a card afterwards (why would I? We've said thanks).

If we don't see the person who sends the gift, I usually phone to say thanks.

I don't "do" thank you" cards / notes apart from to elderly relatives or if a random (not birthday / Christmas) gift arrives unannounced.

catgirl1976 Mon 26-Aug-13 15:52:51

YANBU

That's really rude and lazy

LtEveDallas Mon 26-Aug-13 15:53:27

Did you have a verbal thank you when you gave the gift?

Yabu, as a baby cannot actually say thankyou.

A verball thankyou should be enough

mrspremise Mon 26-Aug-13 15:54:49

grin Marbles This child sends separate cards to her parents for every occasion! Most of them have her photo on them wink

How old is the baby? If she's a newborn her parents may honestly not have the time or energy to sit and write dozens of thank you cards, and I would cut them a bit of slack.

YANBU to be disappointed though. A group email is a bit shoddy.

X-post. That puts a different light on it!

mrspremise Mon 26-Aug-13 15:57:05

I live 100 miles away so it had to be sent. You're absolutely right, a verbal thank you would have been lovely, but this just felt like 'getting it out of the way'

StephenFrySaidSo Mon 26-Aug-13 15:57:41

did you hand the gift over in person and if so did they say thank you?

StephenFrySaidSo Mon 26-Aug-13 15:59:30

ah x-post. well if they got lots of gifts then I understand them sending a generic email. at least they sent one! you got thanks, does it really have to have your name on it to be valid?

PrincessFlirtyPants Mon 26-Aug-13 15:59:46

You could send the same email and just change the name, if you were that short for time! It really is just rude. As I say, some people just think its acceptable.

theoriginalandbestrookie Mon 26-Aug-13 15:59:49

Actually unpopular opinion here but YABU. You had a thank you - just not in the format that you wanted it.

I understand why it's important to thank people for presents, but honestly I just feel that we should cut folks a break. They have thanked you, consider yourself thanked. If they are not thankful enough, then don't send anymore presents, problem sorted.

ZenGardener Mon 26-Aug-13 16:00:08

I agree that if a gift is handed over in person then a verbal thanks at the time is fine.

It is also ok to thank by phone.

If you posted the gift then I would just assume the parents are super-busy/stressed out/received an overwhelming number of gifts so I would probably let it drop. They may thank you in person next time they see you.

Of course it is better to thank individually but I wouldn't get upset over it

I've written all dd thank you cards from her. Oh dear have I committed a mn offence

mrspremise Mon 26-Aug-13 16:09:35

smile Good for you, Sizzles, clearly you have excellent manners. Sod who you've written them from, at least you've written them! brew thanks

confused3331 Mon 26-Aug-13 16:11:01

I think YABU. I have sent personalised cards before, but recently ive not as find it tough to find the time. but then I am not bothered about receiving thank you cards. I don't even remember if I have received one or not. Surely there are more important things in life ?

meganorks Mon 26-Aug-13 16:12:14

Agree with crikeyblimey. But in this case as sent YANBU. I had a printed postcard with a pic of baby as a generic thank you which I thought was kind of lazy. Think our names were written on but nothing else.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now